The work took nearly four years to complete and it opens a fundamentally new direction in photonics – with far-reaching potential consequences for the control of photons in optical fiber channels.
Researchers at the University of California, San Diego have built the first 500 Gigahertz (GHz) photon switch. “Our switch is more than an order of magnitude faster than any previously published result to date,” said UC San Diego electrical and computer engineering professor Stojan Radic. “That exceeds the speed of the fastest lightwave information channels in use today.”
According to an article in the journal Science*, switching photons at such high speeds was made possible by advances in the control of a strong optical beam using only a few photons, and by the scientists’ ability to engineer the optical fiber itself with accuracy down to the molecular level.
In the research paper, Radic and his colleagues in the UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering argue that ultrafast optical control is critical to applications that must manipulate light beyond the conventional electronic limits. In addition to very fast beam control and fast switching, the latest work opens the way to a new class of sensitive receivers (also capable of operating at very high rates), faster photon sensors, and optical processing devices.
The Latest on: Photonics
via Google News
The Latest on: Photonics
- First Canadian wins the Marconi Society's Paul Baran 2020 Young Scholar Award for his work in quantum photonicson August 5, 2020 at 4:32 am
Piotr Roztocki is the first Canadian to receive the award, acknowledging his innovative work in developing scalable quantum resources that can be used within existing telecommunications networks.
- IPG Photonics Corp (IPGP) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton August 4, 2020 at 8:10 pm
Q2 2020 Earnings Call Aug 4, 2020, 10:00 a.m. ET Good morning, and welcome to IPG Photonics' Second Quarter 2020 Conference Call. Today's call is being recorded and webcast. At this time, I would like ...
- IPG Photonics Corporation (IPGP) CEO Valentin Gapontsev on Q2 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 4, 2020 at 6:16 pm
Q2 2020 Earnings Conference Call August 4, 2020, 10:00 AM ET Company Participants James Hillier - VP of IR Valentin Gapontsev - Chairman & CEO Eugene Scherbakov - COO Tim Mammen - SVP & CFO Conference ...
- Why IPG Photonics Fell by 10.5% Earlier Todayon August 4, 2020 at 5:31 pm
The fiber laser specialist delivered a hot second-quarter report, but investors were less impressed by its sales outlook.
- IPG Photonics Announces Second Quarter 2020 Financial Resultson August 4, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Earnings Per Diluted Share of $0.71 Reduced by $0.20 from Foreign Exchange Loss and Charge for Restructuring and Asset ImpairmentOXFORD, Mass., Aug. 04, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- IPG Photonics ...
- IPG Photonics (IPGP) Surpasses Q2 Earnings and Revenue Estimateson August 4, 2020 at 7:13 am
IPG Photonics (IPGP) came out with quarterly earnings of $0.91 per share, beating the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $0.58 per share. This compares to earnings of $1.42 per share a year ago. These ...
- IPG Photonics drops 4.6% after soft Q3 outlookon August 4, 2020 at 7:09 am
(NASDAQ:IPGP) shares are down 4.6% after the Q2 beats came with a soft Q3 forecast that sees $280-310M in revenue (consensus: $303.34M) and $0.70-1.00 EPS (consensus: $0.87).Q2 sales of high-power ...
- IPG Photonics Guides Q3 In Line With Estimates - Quick Factson August 4, 2020 at 5:21 am
While reporting financial results for the second quarter on Tuesday, IPG Photonics Corp. (IPGP) provided earnings and revenues ...
- Photonics Market to Exhibit a Sluggish CAGR of 5.8% from 2019 to 2027 – TMRon August 1, 2020 at 3:33 pm
The global photonics market is consolidate in nature as it is led few leading companies in the market. To form a firm hold in the market the leading players are investing in mergers and ...
- Silicon Photonics Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Trending Technologies, Potential Revenue Analysis and Global Key Players| Forecasts 2025on July 31, 2020 at 10:11 pm
The Global Silicon Photonics Market Research Report 2020-2025 is a valuable source of insightful data for business strategists. It provides the industry overview with growth analysis and historical & ...
via Bing News