A fevered search for the next great high-energy, rechargeable battery technology is on.
Scientists are now reporting they have overcome key obstacles toward making lithium-sulfur (Li-S) batteries, which have the potential to leave today’s lithium-ion technology in the dust. Their study appears in the ACS journal Nano Letters.
Xingcheng Xiao, Weidong Zhou, Mei Cai and their colleagues point out that the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries, which power many of our consumer electronics, as well as electric vehicles, have largely plateaued. Scientists have been pursuing a number of new battery technologies to topple today’s standard. One heavy focus has been on a key battery component that is currently made out of a metal oxide. Some researchers have been trying to replace the metal oxide with cheaper and lighter sulfur, to make Li-S batteries. In theory, this could allow batteries to pack five to eight times the energy of existing technology. One of the main problems with this approach, however, is that Li-S compounds escape from where they’re supposed to be, which causes the battery to lose charge quickly. The team set out to find a way to contain the errant compounds.
To solve this problem, the researchers made tiny, hollow shells out of carbon, which is conductive. They then coated them with a polymer to help confine the Li-S compounds inside. When tested, the structures kept up a high-energy storage capacity (630 mAh/g versus less than 200 mAh/g of lithium-ion batteries) over 600 cycles of fast charging and discharging. “These results provide promising insights and novel concepts for future sulfur-based batteries,” the researchers conclude.
The Latest on: Lithium-sulfur batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium-sulfur batteries
- Single-sulfur atom discrimination of polysulfides with a protein nanopore for improved batterieson August 13, 2020 at 2:15 am
Research on batteries mostly focuses on electrodes and electrolytes while few activities regard separator membranes. However, they could be used as a toolbox for injecting chemical functionalities ...
- LiCoO2 Battery Market is set to Experience a Booming growth by 2027 | Panasonic, Samsung SDI, LG Chem, Sonyon August 12, 2020 at 10:33 am
Latest released the research study on Global LiCoO2 Battery Market, offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope. LiCoO2 Battery Market research report shows the ...
- MagniX Sees Regional Operators as Electric Aviation Pioneerson August 10, 2020 at 5:39 am
Electric propulsion specialist MagniX is stepping up flight testing of electric versions of the Cessna Caravan and DHC-2 Beaver.
- Global Market for Nanomaterials in Batteries and Supercapacitors to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 7, 2020 at 10:42 am
Nano-structure enhances cycle stability. Nanomaterials are also finding application in Lithium-sulfur (Li-S) batteries, sodium-ion batteries, lithium-air batteries, Magnesium batteries and paper, ...
- Global Market for Nanomaterials in Batteries and Supercapacitors to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 7, 2020 at 10:39 am
Nanomaterials are also finding application in Lithium-sulfur (Li-S) batteries, sodium-ion batteries, lithium-air batteries, Magnesium batteries and paper, flexible and stretchable batteries.
- Global Market for Nanomaterials in Batteries and Supercapacitors to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 7, 2020 at 10:24 am
The "The Global Market for Nanomaterials in Batteries and Supercapacitors" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. With global energy demands ever-increasing, allied to efforts to ...
- Automotive Battery Management System Market 2020: Global Analysis, Share, Trends, Application Analysis and Forecast To 2024on August 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Automotive Battery Management System Market 2020 Global Analysis Share Trends Application Analysis and Forecast To 2024 ...
via Bing News