The internet has become a critical means of communication during humanitarian crises and a crucial everyday tool for people around the world. Now, a Portuguese company wants to make sure everyone has access to it. Quarkson plans to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to transmit internet access “to every corner of the world.”
Quarkson’s SkyOrbiter program is similar to Google’s Project Loon, which also seeks to deliver internet access to remote places. Where Google plans to float internet-enabled balloons above the earth, however, Quarkson intends to use a fleet of high-range UAVs much like the Titan Aerospace Solara 50 to deliver connectivity from orbit.
The SkyOrbiter fleet comprises six different low-altitude models and three high-altitude models. The most basic SkyOrbiter is the LA25. It is designed for commercial and government use and is able to provide connectivity to areas where none is available. The LA25 has a wingspan of about 25 m (82 ft), operates at 3,500 m (11,500 ft) and has a range of over 42,000 km (26,000 mi) or up to two weeks.
Each of the subsequent low altitude SkyOrbiters has an increased wingspan and range right up to the LA75, which has a wingspan of 75 m (246 ft) and a range of over 150,000 km (93,000 mi) or up to seven weeks. Unlike the low-altitude models, the high altitude UAVs orbit at 22,000 m (72,000 ft) and can stay in orbit for years as opposed to weeks. The most advanced of the high-altitude models, the HA75, has a wingspan of around 75 m (246 ft) and a range of up to 5,000,000 km (3,000,000 mi) or five years.
The Latest on: UAV internet access
via Google News
The Latest on: UAV internet access
- Sharp increase in US surveillance of South China Sea observed in Julyon August 3, 2020 at 7:06 am
Almost twice as many reconnaissance aircraft flew over contested waters last month than in May, think tank says.
- Rwanda prepares for High Altitude internet connectivityon July 31, 2020 at 6:07 am
As part of the JRP, the parties plan to conduct demonstration flights using HAPSMobile’s solar powered unmanned aircraft system in Rwanda to provide 4G/5G Internet connectivity. The results of the JRP ...
- HAPSMobile and Rwanda’s Ministry of ICT and Innovation Sign MoU to...on July 31, 2020 at 1:04 am
As part of the JRP, the parties plan to conduct demonstration flights using HAPSMobile’s solar powered unmanned aircraft system (UAS) in Rwanda to provide 4G/5G Internet connectivity ... communities ...
- HAPSMobile and Rwanda’s Ministry of ICT and Innovation Sign MoU to Study Provision of Mobile Internet Connectivity Using High Altitude Platform Stationson July 31, 2020 at 12:31 am
The Rwanda Ministry of ICT and Innovation and HAPSMobile signed an MoU to conduct a Joint Research Project that studies the use of HAPS.
- HENSOLDT delivers Spexer 2000 3D radar for Bundeswehr counter-UAV system with excellent classification of small targetson July 29, 2020 at 5:06 am
Spexer will be part of the C-UAS system (Counter-Unmanned Aerial System), which is based on ... to the places we work from. Widespread internet connection advances, alongside the growth of cloud-based ...
- VIEWPOINT: Trusted Capital Marketplace Protects DoD Supply Chainon July 26, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Such technologies range from hypersonics and unmanned aerial systems to artificial intelligence ... One way in which adversaries gain access to strategic technologies is through investment.
- AiRXOS Launches Public Safety UAS Solution: One Platform to Enable Fast, Safe Drone Operations With Full Situational Awareness; 200 U.S. Public Safety Agencies Pilot Solutionon July 24, 2020 at 10:48 am
AiRXOS, a leading provider of Unmanned Traffic Management (UTM) solutions, today announced the commercial availability of a new Unmanned Aircraft Syst ...
- Drone Analytics Market Forecasts to 2030 Featuring Aerovironment, Pix4D, PrecisionHawk, DroneDeploy, and Delair Amongst Otherson July 22, 2020 at 7:06 am
Stock quotes by finanzen.net DUBLIN, July 22, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Drone Analytics Market Research Report: By Component, Solution, Deployment, Application, Industry - Global Industry Analysis, ...
- Global Drone Analytics Market 2020-2030; Anticipating a CAGR of 29.8%on July 21, 2020 at 2:33 pm
The "Drone Analytics Market Research Report: By Component, Solution, Deployment, Application, Industry - Global ...
via Bing News