The internet has become a critical means of communication during humanitarian crises and a crucial everyday tool for people around the world. Now, a Portuguese company wants to make sure everyone has access to it. Quarkson plans to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to transmit internet access “to every corner of the world.”
Quarkson’s SkyOrbiter program is similar to Google’s Project Loon, which also seeks to deliver internet access to remote places. Where Google plans to float internet-enabled balloons above the earth, however, Quarkson intends to use a fleet of high-range UAVs much like the Titan Aerospace Solara 50 to deliver connectivity from orbit.
The SkyOrbiter fleet comprises six different low-altitude models and three high-altitude models. The most basic SkyOrbiter is the LA25. It is designed for commercial and government use and is able to provide connectivity to areas where none is available. The LA25 has a wingspan of about 25 m (82 ft), operates at 3,500 m (11,500 ft) and has a range of over 42,000 km (26,000 mi) or up to two weeks.
Each of the subsequent low altitude SkyOrbiters has an increased wingspan and range right up to the LA75, which has a wingspan of 75 m (246 ft) and a range of over 150,000 km (93,000 mi) or up to seven weeks. Unlike the low-altitude models, the high altitude UAVs orbit at 22,000 m (72,000 ft) and can stay in orbit for years as opposed to weeks. The most advanced of the high-altitude models, the HA75, has a wingspan of around 75 m (246 ft) and a range of up to 5,000,000 km (3,000,000 mi) or five years.
The Latest on: UAV internet access
via Google News
The Latest on: UAV internet access
- Yemen: Welcome To The Paston June 24, 2020 at 3:35 am
Welcome to the past, in Yemen it is always with us. In early April the Saudi and UAE (United Arab Emirates) forces agreed to the UN-backed two-week truce but the Shia rebels demanded more concessions ...
- AeroVironment, Inc. Announces Fiscal 2020 Full Year and Fourth Quarter Resultson June 23, 2020 at 1:10 pm
AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), today reported financial results for its full year and fourth ...
- Spaceport activity on the reboundon June 22, 2020 at 9:42 pm
It will develop a new “flight readiness program” to train ISS-bound astronauts, with some instruction done at Spaceport America. Financial terms of the “Space Act Agreement” with NASA were not ...
- XMC Module Delivers Streaming Video From Unmanned Vehicleson June 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Connected systems don’t necessarily mean those connected to the internet. It could also include ... polish away the top protective glass and access the internal interconnects of the device.
- HAPS to boost rural connectivityon June 16, 2020 at 7:48 am
Dr Ogbonnaya Anicho, a scientist at Liverpool Hope University, in the northwest of England, has called for High Altitude Platform Stations (HAPS) to form part o ...
- Honeywell Launches World's Smallest Satellite Communications Technology For Unmanned Aerial Vehicleson June 16, 2020 at 6:09 am
ATLANTA, June 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell (NYSE: HON) has launched its smallest, lightest satellite communications system yet, specifically designed for unmanned aerial vehicles.
- China's unmanned hotels ride 'contactless' waveon June 15, 2020 at 6:11 am
In China, products and services ranging from robotic waiters, to driverless disinfection and sanitation vehicles, to unmanned smart ... intelligence, and Internet of Things technology that ...
- AeroVironment, Inc. Schedules Fourth Quarter and Full Fiscal Year 2020 Earnings Release and Conference Callon June 9, 2020 at 1:10 pm
AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), today announced it will issue financial results for the ...
- AeroVironment, Inc. Schedules Fourth Quarter and Full Fiscal Year 2020 Earnings Release and Conference Callon June 9, 2020 at 9:10 am
Investors with Internet access may listen to the live audio webcast ... Based in California, AeroVironment is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems and tactical missile systems, and serves ...
- Airdata UAV to Offer Free Live Streaming Trial for Law Enforcement Agencies in the US.on June 8, 2020 at 5:00 pm
In the wake of recent events, Airdata UAV now ... trial access to live streaming of their drone video feeds. Live streaming is the ability to share live drone footage over the Internet with ...
via Bing News