Although we have only produced tiny amounts so far, the fuel we have produced is ready to be used in an engine straight away – Dr Patrik Jones, Department of Life Sciences
Researchers have engineered the harmless gut bacteria E.coli to generate renewable propane.
The development is a step towards commercial production of a source of fuel that could one day provide an alternative to fossil fuels.
Propane is an appealing source of cleaner fuel because it has an existing global market. It is already produced as a by-product during natural gas processing and petroleum refining, but both are finite resources. In its current form it makes up the bulk of LPG (liquid petroleum gas), which is used in many applications, from central heating to camping stoves and conventional motor vehicles.
In a new study, the team of scientists from Imperial College London and the University of Turku in Finland usedEscherichia coli to interrupt the biological process that turns fatty acids into cell membranes. The researchers used enzymes to channel the fatty acids along a different biological pathway, so that the bacteria made engine-ready renewable propane instead of cell membranes.
Their ultimate goal is to insert this engineered system into photosynthetic bacteria, so as to one day directly convert solar energy into chemical fuel.
The Latest on: Fossil fuel alternative
via Google News
The Latest on: Fossil fuel alternative
- LEGO™ Take On Challenge To Find A Strong, Sustainable Alternative Plasticon October 30, 2019 at 7:30 pm
By researching plant-based plastics, LEGO™ had hoped to join the likes Vegware, with its compostable alternatives to plastic cutlery and food containers. However, the quest to replace fossil-fuel ...
- Why isn’t Connecticut prioritizing renewable energy solutions?on October 30, 2019 at 3:33 am
Clean and renewable energy is the face of the future, but greater efforts to go green are needed. We don’t need any more fossil fuel plants in this state. ISO-New England’s approach has shown to favor ...
- SE Asia may become net fossil fuel importer in coming years - IEAon October 29, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Southeast Asia's oil demand to surpass 9 mln bpd by 2040 - IEA * Renewable power in the region to rise to 30% by 2040 - IEA * SE Asia on way to universal access to electricity by 2030 SINGAPORE, Oct ...
- South-east Asia may become net fossil fuel importer in coming years: IEAon October 29, 2019 at 5:05 pm
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Southeast Asia could become a net importer of fossil fuels in the next few years ... it is industrial consumers rather than power plants that are the largest source of growth in ...
- Divides over China, fossil fuels threaten House deal to reboot Ex-Im Bankon October 29, 2019 at 1:06 pm
is unlikely to take up any bill passed by the Democratic-controlled House without substantial GOP support, but House Republicans are unlikely to defeat the bill in the lower chamber, which could force ...
- This U.K. Startup Is Trying to Change How We Get Energyon October 29, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Source: Courtesy TAE technologies Source: Courtesy TAE technologies One day, mankind may no longer need fossil fuel to power homes ... a group of researchers at Tokamak Energy in the U.K. hope to ...
- Bernie Sanders on socialism, taxes and why he thinks fossil fuel executives are 'criminals'on October 29, 2019 at 11:47 am
Sanders also likens fossil fuel executives to tobacco executives ... "Oh my God, it's impossible." Really? What's the alternative? You're right in saying that these are big ideas. I concede that.
- Clean Energy Will Continue To Hit Dirty Power As Costs Continue To Fallon October 29, 2019 at 8:04 am
Non-renewable thermal power plants will increasingly be relegated to a balancing role ... China and parts of Europe. As a result, fossil fuel power plants are being increasingly marginalized in a ...
- How The Military Will Spark The Death Of Fossil Fuelson October 27, 2019 at 3:50 pm
... evidence has come out in support of the reality of climate change and the dire need to innovate our global energy landscape to move away from fossil fuels toward cleaner energy alternatives, some ...
- U.S. green economy growth dwarfs Trump’s highest hopes for the fossil fuel industryon October 27, 2019 at 11:06 am
It proposes massive investment in renewable energy and an environment-friendly public works programme of gargantuan scale. Phasing out direct fossil fuel subsides could free up some of the funding ...
via Bing News