Although we have only produced tiny amounts so far, the fuel we have produced is ready to be used in an engine straight away – Dr Patrik Jones, Department of Life Sciences
Researchers have engineered the harmless gut bacteria E.coli to generate renewable propane.
The development is a step towards commercial production of a source of fuel that could one day provide an alternative to fossil fuels.
Propane is an appealing source of cleaner fuel because it has an existing global market. It is already produced as a by-product during natural gas processing and petroleum refining, but both are finite resources. In its current form it makes up the bulk of LPG (liquid petroleum gas), which is used in many applications, from central heating to camping stoves and conventional motor vehicles.
In a new study, the team of scientists from Imperial College London and the University of Turku in Finland usedEscherichia coli to interrupt the biological process that turns fatty acids into cell membranes. The researchers used enzymes to channel the fatty acids along a different biological pathway, so that the bacteria made engine-ready renewable propane instead of cell membranes.
Their ultimate goal is to insert this engineered system into photosynthetic bacteria, so as to one day directly convert solar energy into chemical fuel.
The Latest on: Fossil fuel alternative
via Google News
The Latest on: Fossil fuel alternative
- United States Spend Ten Times More On Fossil Fuel Subsidies Than Education on June 15, 2019 at 1:08 pm
See also: Trump Administration Rebrands Fossil Fuels As "Molecules Of U.S. Freedom" Despite nations worldwide committing to a reduction in carbon emissions and implementing renewable energy through ... […]
- Fossil fuels? This fund says Norway. on June 14, 2019 at 1:40 pm
The fund will sell its stakes in mainly smaller fossil fuel companies ... It will also shift about 2 percent of its investments to renewable energy projects and companies. I know what you ... […]
- Texas Public Policy Foundation touts fossil fuel benefits beyond Texas on June 14, 2019 at 2:51 am
pushing for cuts to environmental regulations and renewable energy subsidies at the Legislature and in communities across the state. But over the last year the conservative, Austin-based think tank, ... […]
- The Future Strategy for Alternative Fuel Market 2019, By key players like BP, Sasol, General Electric Company, DuPont, ExxonMobil Corporation on June 14, 2019 at 2:14 am
Jun 14, 2019 (marketresearchupdates.com via COMTEX) -- “Summary Alternative fuels, known as non-conventional and advanced fuels, are any materials or substances that can be used as fuels, other than ... […]
- Not all fossil fuel subsidies are created equal, all are bad for the planet on June 13, 2019 at 2:42 pm
It’s a grant from the public to fossil fuel producers and users—something the public ... Yes, we need to price carbon, but we also need to subsidize cleaner alternatives—in the true sense of what it ... […]
- Norway to sell off billions in fossil fuel stocks on June 13, 2019 at 1:57 pm
The legislation passed by parliament Wednesday also gives the fund a legal mandate to invest in renewable energy projects, according to The Guardian. The fossil-fuel divestment comes amid a ... […]
- Renewable Energy Market Study by Evolving Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis & Forecast to 2025 on June 13, 2019 at 7:20 am
Sources such as solar power, wind power, and water power are commonly used to produce renewable energy. Global warming and air & water pollution are the major issues surrounding the use of fossil fuel ... […]
- Norway to sell off fossil fuel stocks worth more than $8 billion on June 12, 2019 at 10:56 am
Norwegian MPs have backed a decision to divest the country’s $1 trillion sovereign wealth fund from oil and gas exploration firms and invest more in renewable energy companies ... signal to other ... […]
- Norway Wealth Fund To Dump Fossil Fuel Stocks Worth Billions In Environmental Move on June 12, 2019 at 7:58 am
As part of a broad shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy, the move from Norway's center-right coalition government confirms several recent announcements including the phasing out of oil ... […]
- France to uphold ban on sale of fossil fuel cars by 2040 on June 11, 2019 at 7:49 pm
PARIS (Reuters) - The French government’s new law on mobility will uphold a planned ban on fossil fuel-powered cars by 2040 ... The reform wants to favor alternatives to individual automobile usage, ... […]
via Bing News