Australia’s rare and precious rainforests, like the iconic Daintree, could have an unexpected aerial ally in the battle against weeds – autonomous helicopters.
Two Project ResQu helicopters developed by CSIRO completed trial flights near Cairns, locating weeds like the dreaded ‘purple plague’, or Miconia calvescens, faster and more reliably than ever.
Developed by robotics researchers at CSIRO, in partnership with Biosecurity Queensland, the unmanned helicopters found weeds using sophisticated imaging technology. The helicopters are safer and a more convenient way of mapping weeds in remote and difficult terrain.
CSIRO Biosecurity Flagship Science Director, Dr Gary Fitt, said access to dense rainforests was difficult for people but all-too-easy for weeds which get carried in by animals or blown in from gardens or farms.
“Miconia is among the worst of a number of weeds that pose a significant threat to Australia’s precious rainforest remnants,” Dr Fitt said.
“Unless detected and eradicated early, they can cause irreversible damage to our native plant and animal populations.
“In the biosecurity space effective surveillance is critical – we need to be able to detect incursions quickly and accurately. Technologies like the autonomous helicopter or other autonomous platforms provide us with another tool in the fight against these biological invasions.”
The Latest on: Autonomous helicopters
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous helicopters
- China is Selling Autonomous Weaponized Drones to Saudi Arabia and Pakistan on November 18, 2019 at 3:40 am
China is set to sell autonomous robot-military technology capable of lethal targeted strikes to ... In addition, China is now marketing Blowfish A3: a helicopter drone with multiple machine guns ...
- This Cold War Stealth Bomber Almost Flew From U.S. Navy Aircraft Carriers on November 17, 2019 at 11:06 pm
Analysts have proposed solutions such as a long-range stealthy unmanned strike aircraft as a solution to the Navy’s long-range penetrating strike gap, however, there are problems with that solution.
- Rocket Lab Plans To Catch Its Reusable Rockets In Midair With A Helicopter on November 17, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Two years ago, aerospace manufacturer SpaceX stunned the world by landing its reusable booster engine — the biggest and most costly part of the rocket used to power spacecrafts into low orbit — on an ...
- Airbus' VSR700 drone copter prototype makes maiden flight on November 17, 2019 at 4:13 pm
The diesel/jet fuel-powered autonomous helicopter measures 6.2 m (20 ft) in length and is designed to workl alongside a full-size helicopter on existing frigate-sized warships. It has an endurance of ...
- Silent Arrow® 1-Ton Cargo Delivery Drone Secures USSOCOM Development Contract for Flight Testing on November 15, 2019 at 4:18 pm
Silent Arrow is the world's first production-ready, 1-ton, autonomous cargo aircraft, which delivers up to 1,631 pounds (740 kg) of supplies at less than half the cost of JPADS with more than ...
- Simulation on Verge of New Tech Revolution on November 14, 2019 at 11:16 pm
The company delivers a multiphysics and multidomain engineering simulation platform to design, validate and certify aerospace components and systems, including advanced avionics, autonomous aircraft ...
- Urban Air Mobility Advances Fast: Will Dubai Be Part of Its Future? on November 14, 2019 at 10:24 pm
aircraft taking shape. Other programs are looking beyond electricity to alternative energy sources such as hydrogen fuel cells. Autonomous operations (i.e. no pilot on board) are also on the horizon ...
- Autonomous Aircraft Market Report With Current Trends, Growth Ratio and Size Reckoned Forecast by 2028 on November 14, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Nov 15, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- "Global Autonomous Aircraft Market" report includes the world’s crucial region market share, size (volume), recent trends including the product profit, value ...
- Airbus Helicopters' unmanned VSR700 starts tests on November 14, 2019 at 5:58 am
Airbus Helicopters has performed first tethered flight tests with ... (1,540lb), the VSR700 is equipped with a new flight control system and avionics enabling it to perform autonomous operations. The ...
- ManTech Wins $82 Million NSWC Crane Award for Technical Innovation in Next Generation Unmanned ISR Aircraft on November 13, 2019 at 4:00 am
Comparable work may include support for the U.S. Navy’s MQ-8 Fire Scout autonomous helicopter, the MQ-25 Stingray aerial refueling drone, and U.S. Air Force unmanned platforms. This will assist a ...
via Bing News