Australia’s rare and precious rainforests, like the iconic Daintree, could have an unexpected aerial ally in the battle against weeds – autonomous helicopters.
Two Project ResQu helicopters developed by CSIRO completed trial flights near Cairns, locating weeds like the dreaded ‘purple plague’, or Miconia calvescens, faster and more reliably than ever.
Developed by robotics researchers at CSIRO, in partnership with Biosecurity Queensland, the unmanned helicopters found weeds using sophisticated imaging technology. The helicopters are safer and a more convenient way of mapping weeds in remote and difficult terrain.
CSIRO Biosecurity Flagship Science Director, Dr Gary Fitt, said access to dense rainforests was difficult for people but all-too-easy for weeds which get carried in by animals or blown in from gardens or farms.
“Miconia is among the worst of a number of weeds that pose a significant threat to Australia’s precious rainforest remnants,” Dr Fitt said.
“Unless detected and eradicated early, they can cause irreversible damage to our native plant and animal populations.
“In the biosecurity space effective surveillance is critical – we need to be able to detect incursions quickly and accurately. Technologies like the autonomous helicopter or other autonomous platforms provide us with another tool in the fight against these biological invasions.”
The Latest on: Autonomous helicopters
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous helicopters
- Astro adds Med-Evac Pod to the fleet.on March 24, 2020 at 6:34 am
Dallas, Texas, March 24, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Astro Aerospace (OTCQB:ASDN), the company creating autonomous, eVTOL (Electric Vertical Takeoff and ...
- Rockets soar into air on plateau areaon March 22, 2020 at 3:45 am
Multiple rocket launch systems attached to an artillery brigade under the PLA Xizang Military Command fire anti-aircraft rockets simultaneously during a live-fire operation at the elevation of 4,500 ...
- Here's Who Will Battle to Build the Army's Next Assault Helicopteron March 21, 2020 at 12:50 pm
McCarthy and Congresswoman Kay Granger of Texas. Autonomous capabilities are not expected to be a requirement in any upcoming helicopter competitions, but it is an area that the Pentagon is interested ...
- Elon Musk Was Right: The Manned Fighter Jet Era Has (Almost) Passedon March 21, 2020 at 4:52 am
Two major arguments have been put forth: 1) human situational awareness and mental processing power will remain necessary to win aerial close combat or “dogfights” for the foreseeable future; and 2) ...
- eHang electric aircraft gets approval in Norway and Spainon March 16, 2020 at 4:08 pm
According to CAA Norway, the country ’s geographic conditions are perfect for the testing of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). The vast country is sparsely populated ... The company will explore how ...
- Boeing starts modification process to deliver first new Air Force One aircrafton March 14, 2020 at 6:29 pm
Boeing 747-8 aircraft will also be provided with improved executive interior and autonomous ground operations capabilities. Aircraft operations are expected to commence in 2024. The first phase of the ...
- Eyes up and out: Advancing situational awareness in helicopter avionicson March 12, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Consequently, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) have become promising solutions when considering ways to further methodize the pilot-vehicle interface on military helicopters.
- Boeing reveals reconnaissance aircraft design for US Armyon March 11, 2020 at 2:49 pm
The thrust compounded single-main rotor helicopter boasts a six-bladed rotor system, a single engine, tandem seating and a modular, state-of-the-art cockpit with a reconfigurable large area display ...
- Thomas Modly Wants Task Force to Look at Future Role of Aircraft Carrierson March 10, 2020 at 1:42 pm
The Future Carrier 2030 task force will examine how best to modernize and use the existing fleet of aircraft carriers to address the challenges posed by advanced ... technology designed to identify ...
- Autonomous Aircraft Market - Global Analysis, Trends and Forecasts by 2025on March 9, 2020 at 1:36 am
QnQ MRI's relentless efforts to understand and analyze niche markets, we aim to discover and deliver insightful and intelligent solutions to our clients. QnQ Market Research Insights is one stop ...
via Bing News