A new study from the University of Pennsylvania demonstrates that wearable sensors could one day transform the correctional system by tracking gun use by community-based offenders, who account for a disproportionate share of fatal and non-fatal shootings.
Currently, detecting and deterring this type of crime can be challenging in the absence of reliable evidence that a particular community-supervised offender illegally used a firearm.
In the study, published this week in the journal PLOS ONE, Charles Loeffler, an assistant professor of criminology at Penn, demonstrates the feasibility of using low-cost, wearable inertial sensors to detect firearm usage.
To conduct the study, Loeffler used sensors similar to those found in fitness trackers to recognize wrist movements and other signals corresponding to firearm use. Research participants included officers from the Penn Police Department, construction workers and individuals engaged in routine daily activities.
The resulting sensor data was used to train a detection algorithm that achieved more than 99 percent accuracy in classifying individual gunshots, demonstrating that firearm use can be reliably distinguished from a range of potentially confusable human activities.
The Latest on: Wearable Sensors
via Google News
The Latest on: Wearable Sensors
- Apple Reveals new Bioauthentication Sensors for future AirPods, Headphones & HMD that Learn the owner's Voice Commands & Silent Gestureson November 26, 2020 at 4:56 am
Today the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that relates to their next-gen AirPods and over-ear headphones. The patent application covers configurations and ...
- Wearable Sensors Market Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026on November 26, 2020 at 1:08 am
Latest update on Wearable Sensors Market Analysis report published with an extensive market research, Wearable Sensors market growth analysis and Projection by - 2025. this report is highly predictive ...
- Shimmer wearable lands CE certificationon November 25, 2020 at 8:55 am
The decentralized trial tech firm’s Verisense inertial measurement unit sensor has received the seal of approval from the Conformitè Europëenne.
- Opportunities in the UK Market for Wearable Sensors - COVID-19 Outbreak has Driven the Need for Wearable Sensors in Telemedicine Sectoron November 23, 2020 at 1:15 pm
The "United Kingdom Wearable Sensors Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2020 - 2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The UK wearable sensors market is estimated to ...
- A Google Patent points to their Soli Motion Technology being used with Future Chromebooks and Wearableson November 23, 2020 at 12:29 am
Examples of external sensors may include various sensors provided in one or more wearable devices worn by the user, such as a smartwatch or a head-mountable device. The processors may receive image ...
- Wearable Patch Market | Integration With Mobile OS to Serve As Contributing Factor in Market Growthon November 22, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Later on, this gadget could come as a stick-on patch or wearable patch integrated with advanced technology, similar to a wearable gadget or cell phone. Moreover, L’Oréal is conceptualizing to launch a ...
- The hot new COVID tech is wearable and constantly tracks youon November 21, 2020 at 11:00 am
In Rochester, Michigan, Oakland University is preparing to hand out wearable devices to students that log skin temperature once a minute — or more than 1,400 times per day — in the hopes of ...
- Kat VR is about to release a new version of its VR locomotion sensorson November 20, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Kat VR is accepting pre-orders for its new Loco S locomotion tracking sensors. The system lets you walk in place to move in-game.
- Blackline Safety Enhances G7c Cloud-Connected Safety Wearables With 4Gon November 20, 2020 at 1:24 am
Blackline Safety Corp. (TSX.V: BLN), a global leader of gas detection and connected safety solutions, announced today that it has expanded its G7c gas detection and safety monitors to include 4G ...
- Wearable Sensors Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026on November 18, 2020 at 11:47 am
Global Wearable Sensors Market Report added by MarketstudyReport.com offers industry size, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2026. Wearable Sensors Market Report also covers top key players, ...
via Bing News