NEW GAS and water technologies could add decades to the life span of oil reserves in the North Sea, according to researchers.
A team at Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University say they have made a breakthrough in developing clean and cheap methods to maximise extraction from existing fields.
The university’s Centre for Enhanced Oil Recovery has been working on a technique known as low-salinity water injection and researching which fields would benefit most from it.
The team has also been developing gas injection technologies for use in reservoirs that are already flooded with water.
Professor Mehran Sohrabi, the centre’s director, believes new technologies could be a game changer for the industry and has called for more investment to reverse the decline in North Sea production.
He said: “At least half of the original oil still remains in the North Sea reservoirs but there are great challenges in extracting it using enhanced oil recovery (EOR) techniques.
“These include limited platform space and large well spacing, making extraction too expensive to pursue.
“Following years of research at the university, we now believe we can overcome these challenges.”
The Latest on: Oil reserves
via Google News
The Latest on: Oil reserves
- Fuel oil prices hold steadyon December 10, 2019 at 1:09 am
As for supply, Morgan noted there are large oil reserves in North and South Dakota. Fegley and Steele report they have not had any difficulty getting the supply of fuel oil needed this heating season.
- Greta Thunberg Says Norway, Canada Oil Violates Children Rightson December 9, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Output will then drop again from the middle of the next decade. Canada, which has the world’s third-biggest proven oil reserves, pumped more than OPEC’s second-biggest contributor Iraq in 2018, ...
- The U.S. Dominates New Oil And Gas Productionon December 8, 2019 at 4:21 pm
And why not? Since fracking took off in 2008, we have more than doubled our proven oil reserves to ~65 billion barrels. Natural gas reserves have surged over 80% to ~430 trillion cubic feet. Already ...
- Syria war: Who benefits from its oil production?on November 20, 2019 at 4:40 pm
This is looting.” The oil and gas sector has been a crucial contributor to Syrian government revenues, even though its reserves are small compared with those of other countries in the Middle East. In ...
- ‘Poor exploration threatens oil reserves, production targets’on November 20, 2019 at 3:50 pm
oil bid rounds and Nigeria’s oil reserves and production targets, among others, EMEKA UGWUANYI was there Nigeria’s aspiration to achieve 40 billion barrels of oil reserves and three million barrels of ...
- Oil Prices Heading Toward A Hard Landingon November 19, 2019 at 11:49 am
Additional oil facilities worldwide coming online will far outweigh any additional cuts by OPEC+ beyond the current agreement. Lower compliance by some OPEC+ members to the December 2018 agreement ...
- Iran discovers new oil field with over 50 billion barrels, President Hassan Rouhani sayson November 11, 2019 at 4:33 am
Iran's President has announced the discovery of a new oil field with more than 50 billion barrels of crude — a find that could boost the country's proven reserves by a third as it struggles to sell ...
- Iran: New oil find adds only 22bn barrels to reserveson November 11, 2019 at 1:32 am
The oil minister said the discovery added 22.2 billion barrels to the country's oil reserves Iran's oil minister said on Monday that an oil field whose discovery President Hassan Rouhani announced at ...
- Iran says new oil find adds only 22 bln barrels to reserveson November 11, 2019 at 1:11 am
Iran's oil minister said Monday that an oil field whose discovery President Hassan Rouhani announced at the weekend adds only 22.2 billion barrels to the country's estimated crude reserves. Out of the ...
- Iran says new oil find adds only 22 billion barrels to reserveson November 11, 2019 at 12:30 am
that an oil field whose discovery President Hassan Rouhani announced at the weekend adds only 22.2 billion barrels to the country's estimated crude reserves. Out of the amount at the site, only a ...
via Bing News