NEW GAS and water technologies could add decades to the life span of oil reserves in the North Sea, according to researchers.
A team at Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University say they have made a breakthrough in developing clean and cheap methods to maximise extraction from existing fields.
The university’s Centre for Enhanced Oil Recovery has been working on a technique known as low-salinity water injection and researching which fields would benefit most from it.
The team has also been developing gas injection technologies for use in reservoirs that are already flooded with water.
Professor Mehran Sohrabi, the centre’s director, believes new technologies could be a game changer for the industry and has called for more investment to reverse the decline in North Sea production.
He said: “At least half of the original oil still remains in the North Sea reservoirs but there are great challenges in extracting it using enhanced oil recovery (EOR) techniques.
“These include limited platform space and large well spacing, making extraction too expensive to pursue.
“Following years of research at the university, we now believe we can overcome these challenges.”
The Latest on: Oil reserves
via Google News
The Latest on: Oil reserves
- A game changer discovery of one of the largest ever Gas and Oil Reserves in Pakistanon November 24, 2019 at 2:13 am
Sources said OGDCL found 95 trillion cubic feet (TCF) of shale gas and 14 billion stock tank barrel (BSTB) tight oil reserves that were enough to meet the country’s requirement for the next 90 years.
- Guyana Finds Massive Oil Reserves, but Can It Triumph Over the Resource Curse?on November 21, 2019 at 3:05 pm
In 2015, Exxon Mobil discovered one of the largest oil and gas reserves in decades in Guyana and is slated to begin production in early 2020. While this bonanza promises countless opportunities and ...
- BLM to consider expanded drilling in Alaska oil reserveon November 21, 2019 at 12:55 pm
The Trump administration will consider a new management plan and expanded oil drilling for the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska, an Indiana-size area that former Interior Secretary Ken Salazar ...
- Russia makes its oil reserves work harder as output declineson November 10, 2019 at 9:10 pm
“That is why developing hard-to-extract reserves and stimulating production from them is one of the main topics for the ministry, it is a priority.” Russia’s 28 per cent oil-extraction factor, the ...
- Rohani Says Billions Of Barrels In Oil Reserves Found In Southwestern Iranon November 10, 2019 at 5:24 am
Iranian President Hassan Rohani has announced the discovery of some 53 billion barrels' worth of crude-oil deposits in the country's southwest that could boost reserves by about one-third. The news ...
- Iran Claims to Discover 53 Billion Barrels in New Oil Reserveson November 10, 2019 at 4:43 am
Iran discovered an oil field containing the equivalent of 53 billion barrels, potentially boosting its reserves as the OPEC member struggles to overcome the effects of sanctions on its energy industry ...
- UAE says it has world’s sixth-largest crude oil reserveson November 4, 2019 at 10:18 pm
DUBAI: When Jessica Kahawaty is not busy visiting refugee camps off the border of Syria, championing women’s rights or turning heads on front rows in Paris and Milan, she can be found shaking up the ...
- UAE says it has world's sixth-largest crude oil reserveson November 4, 2019 at 9:46 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The United Arab Emirates now says it is home to the world's sixth-largest crude oil reserves, surpassing fellow Gulf Arab nation Kuwait. The UAE's Supreme Petroleum ...
- 7 billion barrels of oil found in new Abu Dhabi reserves, UAE in sixth position in global oil reserveson November 4, 2019 at 8:04 am
Image Credit: WAM Abu Dhabi: The UAE’s Supreme Petroleum Council on Monday announced a new pricing mechanism for ADNOC Murban crude, which will be listed on “an exchange,” and also announced a major ...
- Oil Reserveson November 3, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Oil reserves are an estimate of the amount of crude oil located in a particular economic region. Oil reserves must have the potential of being extracted under current technological constraints. For ...
via Bing News