Today, the journal Science published the latest development in Michael Grätzel’s laboratory at EPFL: producing hydrogen fuel from sunlight and water.
By combining a pair of solar cells made with a mineral called perovskite and low cost electrodes, scientists have obtained a 12.3 percent conversion efficiency from solar energy to hydrogen, a record using earth-abundant materials as opposed to rare metals.
The race is on to optimize solar energy’s performance. More efficient silicon photovoltaic panels, dye-sensitized solar cells, concentrated cells and thermodynamic solar plants all pursue the same goal: to produce a maximum amount of electrons from sunlight. Those electrons can then be converted into electricity to turn on lights and power your refrigerator.
At the Laboratory of Photonics and Interfaces at EPFL, led by Michael Grätzel, where scientists invented dye solar cells that mimic photosynthesis in plants, they have also developed methods for generating fuels such as hydrogen through solar water splitting. To do this, they either use photoelectrochemical cells that directly split water into hydrogen and oxygen when exposed to sunlight, or they combine electricity-generating cells with an electrolyzer that separates the water molecules.
By using the latter technique, Grätzel’s post-doctoral student Jingshan Luo and his colleagues were able to obtain a performance so spectacular that their achievement is being published today in the journal Science. Their device converts into hydrogen 12.3 percent of the energy diffused by the sun on perovskite absorbers – a compound that can be obtained in the laboratory from common materials, such as those used in conventional car batteries, eliminating the need for rare-earth metals in the production of usable hydrogen fuel.[MW1]
This high efficiency provides stiff competition for other techniques used to convert solar energy. But this method has several advantages over others:
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
- Hydrogen fuel bubbles up the agenda as investments rocketon June 28, 2020 at 9:01 am
Governments and carmakers are pressing on with net-zero hydrogen fuel cells to power cars, buses, trains and even aircraft ...
- Is Hydrogen the New Wonder Fuel?on June 26, 2020 at 9:17 am
Technology to realize the vast potential of hydrogen is solid, but investors may be too far ahead of the adoption curve.
- Japan's Chiyoda says hydrogen pilot project begins to fuel power planton June 25, 2020 at 3:51 am
Japan's Chiyoda Corp and its partners said on Thursday that their pilot hydrogen project, using imported hydrogen from Brunei, has begun providing clean fuel for the gas turbine power generators of ...
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market Competitive Analysis 2019-2026 – Honda, Toyota, Hyundaion June 25, 2020 at 1:24 am
Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is a type of vehicle that uses a hydrogen fuel cell to power its on-board electric motor. This vehicle does not release any greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions during vehicle ...
- Burden of COVID-19 on the Market & Rehabilitation Plan | Global Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stacks Market 2019-2023 | Favorable Government Regulations and Initiatives to Boost Growth ...on June 23, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stacks Market 2019-2023 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Technavio has been monitoring ...
- Fuel Cell Maker Wants to Supply Gas for Hydrogen Economyon June 23, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Plug Power Inc. has acquired two hydrogen companies for $123 million, moves that could turn the veteran manufacturer of fuel cells into a major supplier of the fuel that runs them.
- Plug Power Stock Will Soar on Increasing Use of Hydrogen Fuel Cellson June 22, 2020 at 9:16 am
Plug Power has signed big deals with Amazon and Walmart, and the growing profile of hydrogen fuel cells is more good news for PLUG stock.
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Market Size to Reach USD 5515.89 Million by 2026 - Valuates Reportson June 19, 2020 at 5:30 am
A hydrogen fuel cell is an electrochemical power generator that combines hydrogen and oxygen to produce electricity, with water and heat ...
- HyPoint To Provide Hydrogen Fuel Cells for CityHawk eVTOLon June 18, 2020 at 8:17 am
Hydrogen fuel weighs less than jet fuel and for the CityHawk eVTOL it will deliver range of us to around 125 miles when it enters service from around 2028.
- Elon Musk Mocks Nikola Motors’ Hydrogen Fuel Cells As ‘Dumb.’ Is He Right?on June 18, 2020 at 7:26 am
Staggeringly dumb.” That’s the latest insult Elon Musk threw at the hydrogen fuel cells powering competitor Nikola Motors' trucks.
via Bing News