As tech company LG demonstrated this summer with the unveiling of its 18-inch flexible screen, the next generation of roll-up displays is tantalizingly close.
Researchers are now reporting in the journal ACS Nano a new, inexpensive and simple way to make transparent, flexible transistors — the building blocks of electronics — that could help bring roll-up smartphones with see-through displays and other bendable gadgets to consumers in just a few years.
Yang Yang and colleagues note that transistors are traditionally made in a multi-step photolithography process, which uses light to print a pattern onto a glass or wafer. Not only is this approach costly, it also involves a number of toxic substances. Finding a greener, less-expensive alternative has been a challenge. Recently, new processing techniques using metal oxide semiconductors have attracted attention, but the resulting devices are lacking in flexibility or other essential traits. Yang’s team wanted to address these challenges.
The researchers developed inks that create patterns on ultrathin, transparent devices when exposed to light. This light sensitivity precludes the need for harsh substances or high temperatures. “The main application of our transistors is for next-generation displays, like OLED or LCD displays,” said Yang. “Our transistors are designed for simple manufacturing. We believe this is an important step toward making flexible electronics widely accessible.”
The Latest on: Flexible electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Flexible electronics
- Quantum-Dot Transistors: A Potential Alternative to Flexible Electronics?on November 11, 2020 at 10:34 am
Researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory in collaboration with the University of California Irvine have created transistors out of quantum dots to create functional logic circuits.
- Global Flexible Electronics Market Size, Share, Demand And Remarkable Growth Rate Till 2026 | Zion Market Researchon October 29, 2020 at 1:45 am
The Zion Market Research added a new report “Flexible Electronics Market By Component (Display, Battery, Sensors, and Memory) For Automotive, Consumer Electronics, Healthcare and Industrial ...
- Global Flexible Electronics Industryon October 28, 2020 at 6:35 am
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution. Reportlinker finds and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
- Global Flexible Electronics Industryon October 28, 2020 at 5:06 am
New York, Oct. 28, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Flexible Electronics Industry" - https://www.reportlinker.com ...
- Flexible Electronics Market Growth, Size, Share, Industry Report and Forecast 2018-2023on October 28, 2020 at 1:54 am
The global flexible electronics is projected to grow at a CAGR of 14.7% during the forecast period (2018-2023). The growing adoption of flexible devices across different applications such as ...
- Flexible Glass For Flexible Electronics Market Period 2020-2028 Impact on Global Market of COVID-19on October 27, 2020 at 8:18 pm
The total % of ICT Goods Exports around the Globe Increased from 11.20% in 2016 to 11.51% in 2017 - UNCTAD CRIFAX added ...
- Octopus-inspired sucker transfers thin, delicate tissue grafts and biosensorson October 15, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Thin tissue grafts and flexible electronics have a host of applications for wound healing, regenerative medicine and biosensing. A new device inspired by an octopus's sucker rapidly transfers ...
- Flexible Electronics Market 2020 Size, Sales, Share, Growth Analysis, Trends and Forecast by 2026on October 14, 2020 at 6:46 pm
The report “Flexible Electronics Market” in Global to 2026 - Market Scope, Development, and Predictions offers the ...
via Bing News