Her team’s discovery may provide future consumers a biologically-inspired alternative to gasoline.
Researchers at the US Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory have created a small scale “hydrogen generator” that uses light and a two-dimensional graphene platform to boost production of the hard-to-make element.
The research also unveiled a previously unknown property of graphene. The two-dimensional chain of carbon atoms not only gives and receives electrons, but can also transfer them into another substance.
Hydrogen is virtually everywhere on the planet, but the element is typically bonded with other elements and must be separated from oxygen in H2O to produce free hydrogen. The commercial separation process uses natural gas to react with superheated steam to strip away hydrogen atoms producing hydrogen fuel, but also carbon dioxide —a greenhouse gas byproduct which escapes into the atmosphere.
Argonne’s early-stage generator, composed of many tiny assemblies, is proof that hydrogen can be produced without burning fossil fuels. The scale is small, a little smaller than the diameter of spider silk. Scaling this research up in the future may mean that you could replace the gas in your cars and generators with hydrogen—a greener option, because burning hydrogen fuel emits only water vapor.
“Many researchers are looking to inorganic materials for new sources of energy,” said Elena Rozhkova, chemist at Argonne’s Center for Nanoscale Materials, a DOE Office of Science (Office of Basic Energy Sciences) User Facility. “Our goal is to learn from the natural world and use its materials as building blocks for innovation.”
The Latest on: Hydrogen generator
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen generator
- Hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai popemobile built for Pope Francison October 12, 2020 at 2:29 am
The Toyota Mirai is powered by a 153bhp electric motor, which is fed by a hydrogen-electric generator. The company says the powertrain provides a maximum range of around 310 miles – and, as the ...
- After hitting the road, hydrogen takes the plunge into maritime mobilityon October 9, 2020 at 3:40 am
After successful testing on a catamaran, Toyota has announced that its fuel cell module for boats is now set to equip its first yacht, bringing the maritime industry into the hydrogen age.
- RIX Industries and Element 1 Corporation Partner to Deploy Hydrogen Generators for Fuel Cell Propulsion Systemson October 8, 2020 at 9:44 am
RIX Industries ("RIX"), a leading developer of pneumatic energy technology, announced today that it has licensed proprietary methanol-based M-Series hydrogen generator technology from Element 1 Corp ...
- Element 1 Corp and RIX Industries Partner to Deploy Hydrogen Generators for Fuel Cell Propulsion Systemson October 7, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Element 1 Corp and RIX Industries Partner to Deploy Hydrogen Generators for Fuel Cell Propulsion Systems for Marine Vessels ...
- Global Hydrogen Gas Generator Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2025on October 6, 2020 at 8:49 am
MarketandResearch.biz has published a new report titled Growth 2020-2025 that includes the current status of the global market and predicts its growth and each and every fundamental thing across ...
- From hydrogen fuel-cells to giant airbags, construction and roadworks are changingon October 6, 2020 at 7:29 am
Infrastructure projects comprise a range of stakeholders, including architects, engineers and construction workers.
- Our Future's Fuel - Hydrogenon October 5, 2020 at 6:27 pm
The hydrogen can be converted back into electricity as and when it is required by powering a turbine or fuel cell. These are mature, familiar technologies that give us another way of meeting the ...
- This hydrogen fuel based pod is the vehicle of choice for a green future!on October 4, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Hydrogen fuel is produced once hydrogen reacts with oxygen to make water. Since hydrogen is an energy carrier, which means it transmits energy from a primary source, such as solar energy or coal, it ...
- Hyundai Mobis Succeeds in Jointly Developing a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Forklifton September 30, 2020 at 5:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Mobis (KRX 012330) announced on the 29th that it had succeeded in jointly developing a prototype of a hydrogen fuel cell forklift ...
- Downstate gas plants make a hydrogen pitch in bid to stay afloaton September 30, 2020 at 3:01 am
Two downstate fossil fuel plants facing tougher emissions limits and eventual extinction are making a longshot promise that they could someday burn hydrogen produced from sun and wind energy. But ...
via Bing News