When Orlando Rios first started analyzing samples of carbon fibers made from a woody plant polymer known as lignin, he noticed something unusual. The material’s microstructure — a mixture of perfectly spherical nanoscale crystallites distributed within a fibrous matrix — looked almost too good to be true.
“I thought, this looks like a material that people would go through a lot of work modifying graphite to make it look this way,” said Rios, a materials scientist at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory. “It had a really distinct microstructure from any other graphite I’d seen.”
Rios and his colleagues soon realized the lignin fiber’s unique structure could make it useful as a battery anode, potentially improving upon graphitic materials found in most lithium-ion batteries. Lignin, a low-cost byproduct of the pulp, paper and biofuels industries, could be transformed into a cheaper version of highly engineered graphite through a simple and industrially scalable manufacturing process.
“We start with the fibers when they’re in a polymer state and then fuse them together by essentially melting and burning them,” Rios said. “Then you have a structure that looks like a mat or piece of paper. You can take this material, place it in a battery and you’re done. It’s ready to go.”
The Latest on: Plant-based battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Plant-based battery
- The $6 Million Reason to Own Beyond Meat Stockon August 12, 2020 at 4:23 am
Due to the fact the plant-based food company only met analyst expectations, BYND stock dropped on the news. Forget about the analysts. The bottom line is that Beyond Meat’s management is ...
- 31 Best Essentials You Need to Stay Safe, Healthy, and Sane During the Quarantineon August 8, 2020 at 8:34 pm
The handy battery indicator light lets you know how ... in one of your meals with a plant-based one, like beans, lentils and chickpeas. “Plant proteins are separate from poultry and meat ...
- Best CBD Vape Pen Money Can Buyon August 6, 2020 at 1:19 am
We mean it. As CBD vape pen is one of the most convenient ways to get your daily CBD dose, it's essential to buy ...
- Attention herbivores: Nando’s says it’s expanding its plant-based menu as an ‘immediate priority’on August 1, 2020 at 3:46 am
But that may be about to change, because the South African chain says that it’s making its expansion of plant-based offerings a priority. Earlier this year, it launched a plant-based chicken burger in ...
- The Impossible Burger is now available at Walmarton July 30, 2020 at 10:05 am
What do you think? Plant-based meat substitutes cater to those that are averse to eating animals and are better for the environment, too. But for most, it'll ultimately come down to taste.
- Battery Energy Drinkon July 29, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Pure energy. That’s the long and short of it. Pure energy and functionality are Battery’s ultimate promise – the competitive weapon against hype and over-tiredness. Function over fuss.
- Can CBD help with sleep?on July 28, 2020 at 5:39 am
Paul Gurney, co-founder of plant-based wellness store GreenBox (https ... "Think of using a vacuum cleaner that only has a two-minute battery life. It could likely sort out the major areas ...
- The Charleston Battery is back, on a new field and all the games are streamingon July 23, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The Charleston Battery soccer team resumed their 2020 season last weekend, but things look a little different amid the pandemic. You can still watch every game though, live on ESPN streaming.
- Future batteries, coming soon: Charge in seconds, last months and power over the airon July 20, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The battery hasn't advanced in decades. But we're on the verge of a power revolution. Big technology and car companies are all too aware of the limitations of lithium-ion batteries. While chips ...
- 51 Fun Things to Do at Home Alone: Grown-Ups Editionon July 17, 2020 at 9:57 am
If you’re looking for a plant-based product to help support healthy ... It stands out because it’s a portable battery-powered electric dab rig — and it’s definitely one of the best dab ...
via Bing News