Wences Casares is one of the great technology entrepreneurs of the past 20 years.
The son of a Patagonian sheep farmer, Casares has founded and sold several major startups since he launched Argentina’s first ISP in 1994. After selling the digital wallet company Lemon last year for $43 million, Casares set his sights on Bitcoin.
His latest enterprise is called Xapo, a Bitcoin wallet, vault, and debit card. And while Casares has a vested interest in talking up the digital currency, it’s Bitcoin’s revolutionary appeal that got him into the business in the first place. Xapo began as his own personal vault when he started buying the currency three years ago.
“[Bitcoin] has all of the qualities of a great ledger made in digital. And because of that it’s probably the best form of money we’ve ever seen.”
In order to understand why Bitcoin is so remarkable, Casares explains that you have to understand money and its history.
“Perhaps the concept that is hardest for us to understand now about money is that money is and has always been a ledger. People often ask “what is money backed with?” and the truth is money’s not backed with anything.”
That’s right. Your dollar or euro is only valuable because society has deemed it so. Gold is the same way. Nothing backs gold. It serves as a ledger primarily because of its scarcity. We’ll talk more about gold in a second.
Another myth dispelled by Casares is that money was introduced as a technology to replace barter:
The Latest on: Bitcoin
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin
- PayPal Deal Won’t Drive Bitcoin Price Higheron June 28, 2020 at 1:23 pm
The long rallying cry of digital assets has been “the institutions are coming.” Messari’s research analyst Ryan Watkins recently authored an excellent research piece displaying what the ...
- New Bitcoin Price Model Suggests ‘Exponential’ Bull Run in One Monthon June 28, 2020 at 12:44 pm
On-chain analyst Willy Woo published a new Bitcoin price model showing a new BTC bull run could begin in 30 days ...
- Tesla Needs The Bitcoin Lightning Network For Its Autonomous ‘Robotaxi’ Fleeton June 28, 2020 at 11:54 am
For Tesla'a autonomous "Robotaxi" fleet to operate as designed, it should implement Bitcoin’s Lightning Network which will serve as the primary payment rail coordinating all activity for the fleet.
- Forget gold and Bitcoin! I’d buy the FTSE 100’s best stock market crash bargains to make a millionon June 28, 2020 at 1:29 am
In my view, investing in stock market crash bargains is the best way to build wealth over the long term. Here’s why. The post Forget gold and Bitcoin! I’d buy the FTSE 100’s best stock market crash ...
- Debunking Common Bitcoin Mythson June 27, 2020 at 2:49 pm
More than eleven years after its creation, Bitcoin is struggling to gain widespread institutional acceptance. While constructive criticism is healthy, ARK belie ...
- Forget Bitcoin and the Cash ISA! I’d buy cheap FTSE 100 shares now to get rich and retire earlyon June 27, 2020 at 3:58 am
Investing in cheap FTSE 100 shares after the stock market crash is a better way of building your retirement wealth than Bitcoin or the Cash ISA. The post Forget Bitcoin and the Cash ISA! I’d buy cheap ...
- Blockstream’s Liquid Network Sent $8M in BTC Unsafely, Says Bitcoin Developeron June 26, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Bitcoins stored on the Liquid Network were temporarily able to be seized by network moderators Thursday night.
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Still Stuck in a Rut, Trading Below $10Kon June 26, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Traditional markets slide as coronavirus cases spike, and crypto follows because its correlation is still unbroken.
- Bitcoin Dropping to $6K ‘Golden Pocket’ Isn’t Bearish, Says Traderon June 26, 2020 at 4:13 am
A classic Fibonacci retracement could land BTC/USD at $6,300 or lower and still not disturb the long-term trend ...
- $1 Billion Bitcoin Options Expire On Friday: What Does This Mean?on June 25, 2020 at 10:29 pm
However, analysts do not think the spot prices will move dramatically in the short-term despite this being the largest batch of options to expire.
via Bing News