“Running at lower temperatures can make a big difference for sodium-beta batteries and may enable batteries to store more renewable energy and strengthen the power grid”
New liquid alloy electrode improves sodium-beta battery performance
Sun, wind and other renewable energy sources could make up a larger portion of the electricity America consumes if better batteries could be built to store the intermittent energy for cloudy, windless days. Now a new material could allow more utilities to store large amounts of renewable energy and make the nation’s power system more reliable and resilient.
A paper published today in Nature Communications describes an electrode made of a liquid metal alloy that enables sodium-beta batteries to operate at significantly lower temperatures. The new electrode enables sodium-beta batteries to last longer, helps streamline their manufacturing process and reduces the risk of accidental fire.
“Running at lower temperatures can make a big difference for sodium-beta batteries and may enable batteries to store more renewable energy and strengthen the power grid,” said material scientist Xiaochuan Lu of the Department of Energy’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
Need for energy storage, but challenges remain
More than 300 megawatts of large, cargo container-sized sodium-beta batteries are running in the United States, Japan and Europe,according to Dupont Energy Consulting. They often store electricity generated by rows of solar panels and wind turbines.
But their broader use has been limited because of their high operating temperature, which reaches up to 350 degrees Celsius, or more than three times the boiling point of water. Such high operating temperatures requires sodium-beta batteries to use more expensive materials and shortens their operating lifespans. PNNL researchers set out to reduce the battery’s operating temperature, knowing that could make the battery more efficient and last longer.
The Latest on: Renewable energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Renewable energy storage
- Tualatin firm Powin powers up in the energy storage raceon November 30, 2020 at 8:38 am
Powin etched a place among the industry’s leaders, catching a wave of increasing demand as utilities and other grid players turned to big battery installations that can help make room for more ...
- C2 Energy Capital Acquires California Floating Solar Projecton November 30, 2020 at 7:54 am
C2 Energy Capital LLC, an investor in renewable energy and storage assets, has purchased California’s largest floating solar project from Ciel & Terre, a company that specializes in the integration of ...
- 3 Alternative Energy Stocks Braving Industry Headwindson November 30, 2020 at 6:12 am
Rapid wind turbine installations in the recent past have made wind energy a primary growth catalyst for the U.S. renewable space. With industry leaders expecting solid capacity additions in the coming ...
- Total Solar DG to Build One of Southeast Asia's Largest Renewable Energy Microgrids in Cambodiaon November 29, 2020 at 9:02 pm
PRNewswire/ -- Total Solar Distributed Generation (DG), in partnership with Canopy Power, is developing and constructing a solar and battery energy storage hybrid microgrid to deliver clean energy and ...
- NSW's clean energy plan means the federal government is even more isolated on fossil fuelson November 29, 2020 at 8:34 am
There may have been other weeks that packed in as many transformative developments in clean energy in Australia as the past seven days, but they don’t come often. On Friday, the New South Wales ...
- Avangrid & Vistra Energy: Income Stocks To Ownon November 28, 2020 at 5:30 am
Two major developments in the past month promise a favorable reversal of fortune for Avangrid. Vistra Energy is meanwhile consistently shaving costs from its business and debt from its balance sheet ...
- 5 predictions for the corporate renewable energy market in 2021on November 25, 2020 at 12:34 am
To predict what corporate renewable energy buyers will be doing next year, LevelTen Energy looked toward the world’s largest technology companies.
- Eos: Cash In On Biden's Green New Deal With Energy Storageon November 24, 2020 at 9:09 pm
Eos Energy Enterprises has a differentiated battery product for grid scale energy storage. The coming wave of federal investment in renewables will accelerate an already growing industry.
- Creating higher energy density lithium-ion batteries for renewable energy applicationson November 24, 2020 at 8:04 am
Lithium-ion batteries (LIBs) that function as high-performance power sources for renewable applications, such as electric vehicles and consumer electronics, require electrodes that deliver high energy ...
- Leeward Renewable Energy Completes Repowering and Financing for Sweetwater 3 Wind Farmon November 23, 2020 at 6:01 am
Leeward Renewable Energy, LLC (“Leeward”) today announced the successful completion, in late September, of the repowering and final financial close of its Sweetwater 3 Wind Farm (“Sweetwater 3”) in ...
via Bing News