“Running at lower temperatures can make a big difference for sodium-beta batteries and may enable batteries to store more renewable energy and strengthen the power grid”
New liquid alloy electrode improves sodium-beta battery performance
Sun, wind and other renewable energy sources could make up a larger portion of the electricity America consumes if better batteries could be built to store the intermittent energy for cloudy, windless days. Now a new material could allow more utilities to store large amounts of renewable energy and make the nation’s power system more reliable and resilient.
A paper published today in Nature Communications describes an electrode made of a liquid metal alloy that enables sodium-beta batteries to operate at significantly lower temperatures. The new electrode enables sodium-beta batteries to last longer, helps streamline their manufacturing process and reduces the risk of accidental fire.
“Running at lower temperatures can make a big difference for sodium-beta batteries and may enable batteries to store more renewable energy and strengthen the power grid,” said material scientist Xiaochuan Lu of the Department of Energy’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
Need for energy storage, but challenges remain
More than 300 megawatts of large, cargo container-sized sodium-beta batteries are running in the United States, Japan and Europe,according to Dupont Energy Consulting. They often store electricity generated by rows of solar panels and wind turbines.
But their broader use has been limited because of their high operating temperature, which reaches up to 350 degrees Celsius, or more than three times the boiling point of water. Such high operating temperatures requires sodium-beta batteries to use more expensive materials and shortens their operating lifespans. PNNL researchers set out to reduce the battery’s operating temperature, knowing that could make the battery more efficient and last longer.
The Latest on: Renewable energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Renewable energy storage
- Clean Energy Plan is Consumers Energy’s commitment to Michigan’s people, planet, prosperityon August 18, 2019 at 1:00 pm
How? As you’ll probably guess, we’ll rely more heavily on clean, renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. But just as importantly, we will use emerging tools and technologies such as energy ...
- This High-Yield Renewable Energy Stock Has Powered Up the Dividend Growth Engineon August 18, 2019 at 7:31 am
Brookfield Renewable Partners (NYSE ... which is spending $720 million to buy a 320 MW portfolio of solar and energy storage assets secured by long-term contracts. Shah commented on the deal ...
- Renewable Energy Hits the Wallon August 17, 2019 at 1:22 am
The renewable energy industry is asking its friends in Congress to extend subsidies for another five years and to add new subsidies for energy storage (batteries). Producing CO2-free electricity for ...
- Tesla Energy Storage Potential Given Boost At Company And Industry Levelson August 16, 2019 at 5:19 pm
Energy storage business continues to surge for the ... No week goes by without news of some large new renewable energy project somewhere in the world. The pace of change is escalating rapidly.
- Pumped-storage hydropower can help Washington meet its 100% clean-energy goalon August 16, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Several studies have demonstrated that moving away from coal and natural gas toward 100% clean sources of electricity will create the need for significant expansion of renewable energy generation and ...
- Dominion Energy and Smithfield Foods Break Ground on Largest Renewable Natural Gas Project in North Carolinaon August 16, 2019 at 9:48 am
The 300,000 MMBTU of renewable energy this project is estimated to produce will play ... transmission and distribution, as well as natural gas storage, transmission, distribution and import/export ...
- VC Deals: SoftBank Backs Renewable Energy Storageon August 16, 2019 at 9:30 am
Welcome to Seeking Alpha’s Venture Capital Deals of the Week. Follow this account and turn on the e-mail alert to receive VCDeals in your inbox on Friday afternoons. Editor's Note: This article ...
- Renewable energy can generate billions of dollars in health benefits, study findson August 15, 2019 at 4:06 pm
“That’s where climate policy is taking place and renewable energy policy is largely taking place ... At $299, the iPad with 128GB of storage is this week’s best deal This price beats what we saw ...
- Energy Vault Receives $110 Million From SoftBank For Gravity-Assisted Power Storageon August 15, 2019 at 6:31 am
Energy storage company Energy Vault announced today a $110 million ... storing and shifting no more than four hours of intermittent renewable energy to periods when it is most needed. By contrast, ...
- Energy Vault Finds $110M For Renewable Energy Storage Effortson August 15, 2019 at 5:26 am
Energy Vault, a startup of Pasadena-based Idealab developing radically different energy storage technology--based on the movement of large, concrete blocks via robotic arms--has raised $110M in a ...
via Bing News