Judging by some of the heavy action in the world of biotechnology, one could easily conclude that the industry is going to the dogs. Or cats, maybe.
There are start-ups named Nexvet and VetDC, CanFel Therapeutics (as in canine and feline), and even Fetch Pharma.
It’s a new example of pack behavior: Entrepreneurs with pedigrees from companies like Genentech and Amgen are now turning their attention to pets. They hope to develop innovative drugs for dogs and cats like those that have revolutionized the treatment of diseases like cancer and arthritis in people.
“We’ve been drugging ourselves for a long time and more recently we’ve been drugging our kids,” said Oleg Nodelman, an investor in and director of Kindred Biosciences, one of the new companies. “Why shouldn’t our pets have access to medicine?”
They do already, of course. Many of the big pharmaceutical companies have long had veterinary drug divisions. Eli Lilly’s animal division, Elanco, for instance, sells the company’s Prozac antidepressant under the name Reconcile to treat canine separation anxiety.
But the new entrepreneurs say they will be more nimble and do what the big companies are not doing, just as the early human medicine biotech companies did.
The big companies focus more on livestock — edible animals as opposed to petable ones, said Steven St. Peter, chief executive of Aratana Therapeutics, a pet biotech company. Their offerings for pets are mainly vaccines and treatments for fleas, ticks and worms.
The new companies hope instead to treat diseases like cancer and arthritis. Many are trying to develop monoclonal antibodies, which are proteins made in living cells. Such antibodies, like Humira for rheumatoid arthritis and Herceptin for breast cancer, are huge sellers in human medicine but have had almost no role so far in animal health.
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
via Google News
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
- Worried About Why Your Dog Can’t Hold Down Water? 2 Vets Explain What It Could Meanon December 4, 2020 at 11:05 am
There are many reasons why a dog may throw up after drinking water. Often, it's nothing to worry about, vets say, but you should watch for other symptoms.
- Biotech Stocks Facing FDA Decision In December 2020on November 29, 2020 at 5:12 pm
As November comes to a close, it's time to take a look back at some of the top news stories of the month related to FDA approvals and look ahead at what's in store for December. A couple of firsts ...
- Asia Pacific PET Packaging Market in Pharmaceutical Sector - Growth, Trends, Forecasts (2020 - 2025)on November 24, 2020 at 6:47 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Asia Pacific PET Packaging Market in Pharmaceutical Sector - Growth, Trends, Forecasts (2020 - 2025)" - 1% during the period of 2020-2025.
- Ames company's lab-grown dog intestines hold big promise for drug testingon November 18, 2020 at 8:32 am
Lab-grown dog intestines for testing testing drug absorption hold the promise of big savings for pharmaceutical makers — and huge returns for the Ames biotech company that's developing them.
- How artificial dog intestines being grown by Iowa State researchers could accelerate drug tests, save billionson November 17, 2020 at 4:15 am
Before testing drugs on rodents, dogs or humans, pharmaceutical companies often try the drugs on cells derived from cancer patients, known as Caco-2 cells. Companies will test how much of the ...
- 7 Pharmaceutical Stocks to Buy for 2021 and Beyondon November 17, 2020 at 2:10 am
They are looking for biotech and pharma companies to find a ... Dupixent is an anti-inflammatory drug, so it can be used in a broad spectrum of issues. Currently, it can be used for asthma ...
- Chewy Launches Compounded Medications For Petson November 14, 2020 at 7:34 am
The compounded offering allows pet owners to order customized prescription medications, that don’t have commercial alternatives and are specified for pets’ needs. The company also plans to ...
- ‘AARF’ Bill Aims To Prevent Use Of Dogs In Pharmaceutical Researchon November 13, 2020 at 6:24 am
Stat: Lawmakers Introduce Bill To Eliminate Use Of Dogs In Pharmaceutical Testing A bipartisan group of Congressional lawmakers has introduced a bill that would require the Food and Drug ...
- Chewy expands pharmacy business with customized medications for petson November 12, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Chewy will again expand its pet health care offerings with the launch of compounded medications for pets. With the new service, pet owners can order customized, pharmaceutical-grade prescription ...
- Lawmakers introduce bill to eliminate use of dogs in pharmaceutical testingon November 12, 2020 at 12:56 pm
A bipartisan group of Congressional lawmakers has introduced a bill that would require the Food and Drug Administration to permit pharmaceutical companies to avoid running tests in dogs ...
via Bing News