Judging by some of the heavy action in the world of biotechnology, one could easily conclude that the industry is going to the dogs. Or cats, maybe.
There are start-ups named Nexvet and VetDC, CanFel Therapeutics (as in canine and feline), and even Fetch Pharma.
It’s a new example of pack behavior: Entrepreneurs with pedigrees from companies like Genentech and Amgen are now turning their attention to pets. They hope to develop innovative drugs for dogs and cats like those that have revolutionized the treatment of diseases like cancer and arthritis in people.
“We’ve been drugging ourselves for a long time and more recently we’ve been drugging our kids,” said Oleg Nodelman, an investor in and director of Kindred Biosciences, one of the new companies. “Why shouldn’t our pets have access to medicine?”
They do already, of course. Many of the big pharmaceutical companies have long had veterinary drug divisions. Eli Lilly’s animal division, Elanco, for instance, sells the company’s Prozac antidepressant under the name Reconcile to treat canine separation anxiety.
But the new entrepreneurs say they will be more nimble and do what the big companies are not doing, just as the early human medicine biotech companies did.
The big companies focus more on livestock — edible animals as opposed to petable ones, said Steven St. Peter, chief executive of Aratana Therapeutics, a pet biotech company. Their offerings for pets are mainly vaccines and treatments for fleas, ticks and worms.
The new companies hope instead to treat diseases like cancer and arthritis. Many are trying to develop monoclonal antibodies, which are proteins made in living cells. Such antibodies, like Humira for rheumatoid arthritis and Herceptin for breast cancer, are huge sellers in human medicine but have had almost no role so far in animal health.
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
via Google News
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
- The Crazy Coronavirus ‘Cures’ on the Chinese Web Include Trump’s Secret ‘Super-Drug’on February 4, 2020 at 1:55 am
The answers have come on the internet: stay away from your pet dog, gargle salt water ... or TCM, flocked to drug stores and bought up all of it they could find. Sales and hype were such that the ...
- Court rules against Vanda, in favor of FDA on clinical trials suiton February 3, 2020 at 12:28 pm
D.C.’s Vanda Pharmaceuticals has lost its lawsuit against the Food and Drug Administration, which it filed a year ago when the agency imposed a partial clinical hold on a key drug candidate.
- Communities in China threaten to kill pets due to coronaviruson January 31, 2020 at 9:02 am
Communities around China have ordered their residents to stop keeping pets - or risk getting them culled - amid fears that animals could ... Antibiotics do not work against viruses, so they are out of ...
- The eyes have it: Tetra Bio-Pharma ready to test the effects of cannabis drug on eye ulcerson January 28, 2020 at 11:53 am
University of Guelph research trial to explore the effect of cannabis on canine cancer Partnership meant to fill gaps on cannabis consumption risks and benefits with hard evidence New trial will study ...
- Repurposing non-oncology drugs to treat canceron January 24, 2020 at 3:40 am
Sign up today to get biotech news and updates delivered to ... overexpressing cancer cells did respond to an FDA-approved drug called tepoxalin, which is used to treat osteoarthritis in dogs. After ...
- 2 Dividend-Paying Biotech Stocks Worth Owning in 2020on January 23, 2020 at 8:29 am
Dividend stocks are a powerful way to boost the return on capital of any portfolio. That being said, it can be a chore to unearth income stocks worth owning for long periods of time. The fundamental ...
- BeiGene lines up its first shot at cracking the megablockbuster PD-1 market for lung cancer. But can they overcome underdog status?on January 21, 2020 at 9:14 am
Drug ranking – Ratings on a 1-5 scale). For start-up biotechnology companies and resource stretched pharmaceutical organisations, launching a novel product can be challenging. Lean teams can ...
- Could a drug for arthritis in dogs also fight cancer in people?on January 21, 2020 at 7:37 am
Drugs for diabetes, inflammation, alcoholism — and even for treating arthritis in dogs — can also kill cancer cells in ... STAT Plus is STAT's premium subscription service for in-depth biotech, pharma ...
- Diazepam Market Latest Trend with Top key players: Pfizer, F.Hoffmann-La Roche, Mylan, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, etc.on January 16, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Most common reason for consumption of this medication is alcohol withdrawal, anxiety disorder, for muscle relaxation, seizers and drugs for dogs to treat seizures. Other applications include ...
- What will be the growth of the Veterinary Pharmaceutical Drugs Market by 2026?on January 3, 2020 at 12:36 am
Dogs) Drug , Other Drug Types The global Veterinary Pharmaceutical Drugs market is segmented on the basis of regions and countries:North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico) Europe (UK, Germany ...
via Bing News