Hongjie Dai and colleagues have developed a cheap, emissions-free device that uses a 1.5-volt battery to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen gas could be used to power fuel cells in zero-emissions vehicles.
In 2015, American consumers will finally be able to purchase fuel cell cars from Toyota and other manufacturers. Although touted as zero-emissions vehicles, most of the cars will run on hydrogen made from natural gas, a fossil fuel that contributes to global warming.
Now scientists at Stanford University have developed a low-cost, emissions-free device that uses an ordinary AAA battery to produce hydrogen by water electrolysis. The battery sends an electric current through two electrodes that split liquid water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. Unlike other water splitters that use precious-metal catalysts, the electrodes in the Stanford device are made of inexpensive and abundant nickel and iron.
“Using nickel and iron, which are cheap materials, we were able to make the electrocatalysts active enough to split water at room temperature with a single 1.5-volt battery,” said Hongjie Dai, a professor of chemistry at Stanford. “This is the first time anyone has used non-precious metal catalysts to split water at a voltage that low. It’s quite remarkable, because normally you need expensive metals, like platinum or iridium, to achieve that voltage.”
In addition to producing hydrogen, the novel water splitter could be used to make chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide, an important industrial chemical, according to Dai. He and his colleagues describe the new device in a study published in the Aug. 22 issue of the journal Nature Communications.
The Latest on: Water splitting
via Google News
The Latest on: Water splitting
- Incredible Scott split helps UK to medley relay goldon July 28, 2019 at 8:53 am
"I can't say I thought I had that split in me," said Scott ... But I think they were happy tears, I hope they were." The third of the water-churning one-lap dashes saw Simone Manuel complete the ... […]
- Swimming: Incredible Scott split helps Britain to medley relay goldon July 28, 2019 at 8:03 am
“I can’t say I thought I had that split in me,” said Scott ... But I think they were happy tears, I hope they were.” The third of the water-churning one-lap dashes saw Simone Manuel complete the ... […]
- New York invests in new water lines to reduce lead exposureon July 27, 2019 at 5:01 pm
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Eighteen communities around New York state are splitting $10 million in new state funding for the replacement of old drinking water lines that may contain lead. The grants were ... […]
- A glass of water with a 'D' could beat Ilhan Omar, a Republican can'ton July 26, 2019 at 8:52 am
Minnesota has the only state legislature in the nation with split party control. It has a Cook Partisan Voting ... To borrow a phrase from Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, a glass of water with a "D ... […]
- Premium Bottled Water Market: Global Share, Size, Trends and Growth Analysis Forecast to 2019-2024on July 26, 2019 at 5:00 am
https://www.wiseguyreports.com/sample-request/3356039-global-premium-bottled-water-market-insights-forecast-to-2025 Market Size Split by Type Flavored Unflavored The market report has been ... […]
- Democrats split with peers, voice support for PolyMet copper-nickel mineon July 25, 2019 at 3:32 pm
PAUL — A handful of Democratic state lawmakers on Thursday, July 25, split with their peers in the Legislature ... only creates good-paying jobs but will protect our treasured clean water resources. I ... […]
- Water-Based Adhesive Market Outlook and Forecast Analysis over 2019 - 2025on July 25, 2019 at 10:57 am
Jul 25, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Water-Based Adhesive Market report provides a comprehensive landscape of the industry, accurate market estimates and forecast split by product, application, region ... […]
- 50-50 split: Nationals go from ‘dark’ first 50 games to NL’s hottest team the next 50on July 25, 2019 at 7:33 am
Selfless baseball goes a long way." Gomes swigged from a can of coconut water, eschewing the more common postgame beer as the calendar moved to Thursday. Wednesday was long. The players dressed by ... […]
- ‘It’s pretty cool’: Klein-Collins triplets won state titles for Naperville Central in water polo and trackon July 24, 2019 at 11:23 pm
their paths will split. The triplet sons of John and Becky were tough to avoid when canvassing the athletic scene for the Redhawks over the past four years. Jonah and Luke played integral parts of the ... […]
- EK-FC GV100 Pro, a Water Block for Professionalson July 24, 2019 at 6:13 pm
EK-FC GV100 Pro water blocks use an Open Split-Flow cooling engine design which proved to be a superior solution for GPU water blocks. It is characterized by low hydraulic flow restriction, which ... […]
via Bing News