‘Perovskite cells now have efficiencies of up to 19 per cent. This is not so far behind that of silicon at 25 per cent – the material that dominates the worldwide solar market.’
- Scientists from Sheffield have developed low-cost, spray-on solar cells
- They are applied to surfaces in a similar way to paint or graphic printing
- The spray-on cells are made perovskite that produces very little waste
- They can be easily mass produced, meaning manufacturing costs are low
Forget large, bulky solar panels. Soon anything from clothing to cars could be used to harness energy from the sun.
Scientists from Sheffield have developed low-cost, spray-on solar cells that can be applied to surfaces in a similar way to paint.
The cells are made of a material called perovskite, which is cheap to produce and, when used as a spray, produces very little waste.
This, along with the fact the spray can be easily mass produced, means manufacturing costs are low, which ultimately means prices would be lower for customers.
In theory, the spray could be used on any surface that the cells can stick to, however, its efficiency is likely to be affected on flexible surfaces, or fabrics.
The Latest on: Spray-on solar cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Spray-on solar cells
- The meaty link between a city’s football matches and its foul airon May 12, 2020 at 11:22 am
The skies of Santiago grow murky during the national football team’s biggest matches — because fans fire up their Local officials have suspected that smoke rising f ...
- Engineers make a promising material stable enough for use in solar cellson April 29, 2020 at 4:58 pm
Artificial Intelligence May Help Scientists Make Spray-on Solar Cells Dec. 16, 2019 — Artificial Intelligence may be just the thing to accelerate spray-on solar cell technology, which could ...
- Engineers make a promising material stable enough for use in solar cellson April 29, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Soft and flexible materials called halide perovskites could make solar cells more efficient at significantly less cost, but they're too unstable to use. A Purdue University-led research team has ...
- Cutting the cost of solar energy with spray-on perovskite cellson December 12, 2018 at 4:26 pm
A new generation of spray-on solar cells has the potential to increase the efficiency and cut the costs of renewable energy technology. These innovative solar-cells use a material called a perovskite.
- Solar Poweron November 3, 2018 at 3:05 am
Here, you'll find the latest news on solar power, including technologies like solar panels that collect the sun's rays and turn that light into energy. Solar panels nowadays are flat, but folding ...
- solar energyon October 12, 2018 at 1:33 pm
The panels may be lightweight and portable, but the Huntley School District 158 is expecting they will provide hefty savings to the district's energy costs. Spray-on Solar Cells Being Developed by ...
- solar energyon September 15, 2018 at 8:36 pm
This group of college students is working with NASA on a unique project: creating spray-on ... Solar panels leave Sanford couple not seeing green What's the future for solar energy in NC?
- solar energyon August 16, 2018 at 12:37 pm
This group of college students is working with NASA on a unique project: creating spray-on solar cells that will allow them to make solar panels in space. The research could impact space ...
- Spray-on solar power for the masseson November 2, 2016 at 7:14 pm
We're developing new techniques to manufacture solar power at high volume. Experts at the Department of Physics and Astronomy and Department Chemical and Biological Engineering have developed a ...
via Bing News