Researchers from the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information (IQOQI), the Vienna Center for Quantum Science and Technology (VCQ), and the University of Vienna have developed a fundamentally new quantum imaging technique with strikingly counterintuitive features.
For the first time, an image has been obtained without ever detecting the light that was used to illuminate the imaged object, while the light revealing the image never touches the imaged object.
In general, to obtain an image of an object one has to illuminate it with a light beam and use a camera to sense the light that is either scattered or transmitted through that object. The type of light used to shine onto the object depends on the properties that one would like to image. Unfortunately, in many practical situations the ideal type of light for the illumination of the object is one for which cameras do not exist.
The experiment published in Nature this week for the first time breaks this seemingly self-evident limitation. The object (e.g. the contour of a cat) is illuminated with light that remains undetected. Moreover, the light that forms an image of the cat on the camera never interacts with it. In order to realise their experiment, the scientists use so-called “entangled” pairs of photons. These pairs of photons – which are like interlinked twins – are created when a laser interacts with a non-linear crystal. In the experiment, the laser illuminates two separate crystals, creating one pair of twin photons (consisting of one infrared photon and a “sister” red photon) in either crystal. The object is placed in between the two crystals. The arrangement is such that if a photon pair is created in the first crystal, only the infrared photon passes through the imaged object. Its path then goes through the second crystal where it fully combines with any infrared photons that would be created there.
With this crucial step, there is now, in principle, no possibility to find out which crystal actually created the photon pair. Moreover, there is now no information in the infrared photon about the object. However, due to the quantum correlations of the entangled pairs the information about the object is now contained in the red photons – although they never touched the object. Bringing together both paths of the red photons (from the first and the second crystal) creates bright and dark patterns, which form the exact image of the object.
The Latest on: Revolutionary imaging method
via Google News
The Latest on: Revolutionary imaging method
- Hidden damage to lungs from Covid-19 revealed in new study from University of Sheffieldon December 1, 2020 at 3:45 am
Early findings from a study into longer-term effects of Covid-19 suggest the use of cutting-edge scanning techniques may detect previously unseen lung damage.
- Penn joins ‘cryo revolution’ by adding Nobel-winning microscopeon November 30, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Penn’s Singh Center for Nanotechnology has added the newest cutting-edge technology to its collection of already impressive microscopes: The Krios G3i, a cryogenic electron microscope that will ...
- How digital healthcare tools are changing medicine in Europe since COVID-19on November 30, 2020 at 11:08 am
Covid-19 was not the start of the telehealth revolution, but it was certainly ... This is why professionals are actively seeking digital methods to cut down on the number of steps it takes to ...
- Financial Guru Wendy Kirkland Reveals "Smart Paycheck"--A Proven, High-Return Approach to Investing During the "New Normal"on November 27, 2020 at 11:25 am
Today money expert Wendy Kirkland has announced the launch of her Smart Paycheck system, the most revolutionary ... Imaging if that were you? My Smart Paycheck investment method is a proven ...
- Financial Guru Wendy Kirkland Reveals 'Smart Paycheck'—A Proven, High-Return Approach to Investing During the 'New Normal'on November 27, 2020 at 5:44 am
Now that is smart! One of the clients using my method made a profit of $252,500 over the last 12 months. This is during coronavirus. Imaging if that were you? My Smart Paycheck investment method ...
- Financial Guru Wendy Kirkland Reveals “Smart Paycheck”—A Proven, High-Return Approach to Investing During the “New Normal”on November 27, 2020 at 3:16 am
Today money expert Wendy Kirkland has announced the launch of her Smart Paycheck system, the most revolutionary method to make safe investments in spite of today’s financial markets. Kirkland has ...
- Multiphoton Surgical Imagingon November 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Multiphoton imaging has had a revolutionary impact on life sciences because of its ... and applied to image entire surgical specimens dramatically faster than existing methods based on light ...
- Reference Check Software Market is set to Experience a Revolutionary growth by 2027 | SkillSurvey, Xref Limited, OutMatchon November 20, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Gives a thorough analysis of the key strategies with focus on the corporate structure, R&D methods, localization strategies, production capabilities, sales and performance in various companies.
- WIMI Holographic Academy expects Quantum technology to be integrated into Hologram technologyon November 16, 2020 at 2:36 am
It will lead to a new round of technological revolution and industrial transformation ... it became a popular three-dimensional imaging macroscopic object, information encryption, and microscopic ...
- Lumenis Launches Digital Duet, the First Digital SLT-YAG Platformon November 12, 2020 at 8:52 am
Digital imaging also enriches education ... advanced technologies that have revolutionized existing treatment methods. Lumenis is a portfolio company of Baring Private Equity Asia.
via Bing News