A revolutionary handheld and battery-powered DNA diagnostic device invented at the University of Otago is poised to become a commonly used field tool for rapidly detecting suspected viruses or bacteria in samples while also determining the level of infection.
The breakthrough device, dubbed Freedom4, will be unveiled today at the Queenstown Molecular Biology main meeting. It takes advantage of a technology called quantitative PCR to identify target DNA sequences in real-time, without the need for further processing.
As an example, using Freedom4, the presence and extent of norovirus infection in a sample could be confirmed within less than an hour, while the person using the unit was still at the outbreak site.
Dr Jo-Ann Stanton, who led the programme to develop the device, says that as well as enabling ‘anytime, anywhere’ clinical diagnosis of viral infectious diseases in humans and animals, it also has many other potential uses, such as border security, forensics or environmental monitoring.
Developed by Dr Stanton’s multidisciplinary team at Otago’s Department of Anatomy, the sturdy unit weighs the same as a typical laptop and fits on the palm of your hand. Freedom4 boasts a six-hour battery life and can be tethered to a laptop, or connect wirelessly to smart phones or tablets running custom software that analyses and interprets the test results.
“This mobility could provide a great boon for farmers. For instance, vets could drive around a farm analysing samples from various locations, make their diagnoses and treat infected animals-all in one trip,” she says.
The Latest on: DNA diagnostics
via Google News
The Latest on: DNA diagnostics
- Co-Diagnostics Expands Vector Control Marketing Nationwideon October 15, 2019 at 3:41 am
state-of-the-art diagnostics technology. The Company’s technology is utilized for tests that are designed using the detection and/or analysis of nucleic acid molecules (DNA or RNA). The Company also ...
- Ancestry just came out with 2 new DNA tests focused on health. Here’s what you can learn from them.on October 15, 2019 at 3:04 am
Ancestry's new products will test for heart conditions, inherited cancers, and carrier status for conditions like cystic fibrosis.
- At 8.3% CAGR, DNA Vaccines Market Size will reach 5490 million USD by 2024on October 15, 2019 at 2:00 am
The DNA vaccine in this report refers to the vaccines manufactured using recombinant ... utm_source=Americanewshour.com-AN Related Report : ...
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Avellino Labs Receives CLIA Certification for Its AvaGen Genetic Diagnostic Test for Keratoconus and Corneal Dystrophieson October 14, 2019 at 5:06 pm
Avellino Labs continues to expand its diagnostics capabilities, leveraging genetic big data and algorithms to build on the success of the world's first DNA test to confirm the presence of genetic ...
- Global DNA Sequencing 2019: Research, Applied and Clinical Markets - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 14, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Industry sectors analyzed include Sequencing instruments; long-read sequencing; target enrichment; gene editing; informatics; blockchain; liquid biopsy; reproductive health diagnostics; consumer ...
- Avellino Labs Receives CLIA Certification for Its AvaGen Genetic Diagnostic Test for Keratoconus and Corneal Dystrophieson October 14, 2019 at 9:09 am
Avellino Labs continues to expand its diagnostics capabilities, building on the success of the world's first DNA test to confirm the presence of genetic indicators that are positively associated with ...
- Biochips Based In-Vitro Diagnostics Market Size, Report Overview, Segmentation and Geographical Forecast till 2026on October 14, 2019 at 1:59 am
Fortune Business Insights has found this in a report, titled “Biochips Based In-vitro Diagnostics Market Size, Share and Global Trend by Application (DNA applications, Lab-on-chip applications, ...
- Diagnostic utility of transcriptome sequencing for rare Mendelian diseaseson October 13, 2019 at 3:16 pm
We investigated the value of transcriptome sequencing (RNAseq) in ascertaining the consequence of DNA variants on RNA transcripts to improve the diagnostic rate from exome or genome sequencing for ...
- CRISPR Cas13 Developed as Combination Antiviral and Diagnostic Systemon October 11, 2019 at 6:21 am
“Our work establishes CARVER as a powerful and rapidly programmable diagnostic and antiviral technology for a ... be repurposed to aid in defending mammalian cells against both DNA and RNA viruses,” ...
- DNA Diagnostics Market Size, Share, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast 2019 – 2025on October 10, 2019 at 11:13 pm
DNA Diagnostic Market: Global Size, Trends, Competitive, Historical & Forecast Analysis, 2019-2025– Increasing incidences of chronic diseases and adoption of new technologies are major factors driving ...
via Bing News