Breakthrough technology creates materials infused with cancer-fighting drugs, antibiotics
A team of researchers at Louisiana Tech University has developed an innovative method for using affordable, consumer-grade 3D printers and materials to fabricate custom medical implants that can contain antibacterial and chemotherapeutic compounds for targeted drug delivery.
The team comprised of doctoral students and research faculty from Louisiana Tech’s biomedical engineering and nanosystems engineering programs collaborated to create filament extruders that can make medical-quality 3D printing filaments. Creating these filaments, which have specialized properties for drug delivery, is a new concept that can result in smart drug delivering medical implants or catheters.
“After identifying the usefulness of the 3D printers, we realized there was an opportunity for rapid prototyping using this fabrication method,” said Jeffery Weisman, a doctoral student in Louisiana Tech’s biomedical engineering program. “Through the addition of nanoparticles and/or other additives, this technology becomes much more viable using a common 3D printing material that is already biocompatible. The material can be loaded with antibiotics or other medicinal compounds, and the implant can be naturally broken down by the body over time.”
According to Weisman, personalized medicine and patient specific medication regiments is a current trend in healthcare. He says this new method of creating medically compatible 3D printing filaments will offer hospital pharmacists and physicians a novel way to deliver drugs and treat illness.
“One of the greatest benefits of this technology is that it can be done using any consumer printer and can be used anywhere in the world,” Weisman said.
The Latest on: Custom medical implants
via Google News
The Latest on: Custom medical implants
- Target-responsive vasoactive probes for ultrasensitive molecular imagingon May 13, 2020 at 2:05 am
Noninvasive detection of molecular targets in living subjects could provide valuable insights into healthy function and disease. Here, the authors develop vasoactive imaging probes which allow ...
- Key Vendor Analysis for Global Medical Cosmetic Surgery Implants Market till 2020-2025on May 11, 2020 at 12:52 pm
This report also researches and evaluates the impact of Covid 19 outbreak on the Medical Cosmetic Surgery Implants industry involving potential opportunity and challenges drivers and risks We present ...
- Kelyniam Settles Arbitration, Adds Executiveson May 7, 2020 at 8:18 am
Kelyniam Global (KLYG), a maker of custom craniomaxilofacial (CMF) implants, announced today that the company has reached a settlement agreement with the former CEO and has added two members to the ...
- Evonik introduces 3D-printable PEEK for medical applicationson May 7, 2020 at 12:29 am
Evonik is the first company in the world to launch a 3D-printable PEEK (polyether ether ketone) filament as an implant-grade material for medical applications.
- Emerging Insights On First MPJ Implant Arthroplastyon May 6, 2020 at 11:08 am
Arthritis of the first metatarsophalanageal joint (MPJ), or hallux rigidus, is the most common arthritic condition in the foot and ankle.1 It typically involves progressive osteophyte formation and ...
- Implant-Grade PEEK Filament for 3D Printing Introduced by Evonikon May 4, 2020 at 6:47 am
In a world first, materials supplier Evonik announced today that it has launched a 3D-printable implant-grade polyether ether ketone (PEEK) filament for medical applications. The new material allows ...
- Evonik launches PEEK filament for 3D printed medical implantson May 4, 2020 at 5:04 am
Evonik's VESTAKEEP i4 3DF is an ASTM F2026 compliant material, which meets the specifications for PEEK polymers intended for surgical implant applications.
- Penile Prosthesis Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Growth, Medical Reviews, Top Companies, Segments, Demand, Statistics and Forecast to 2026on April 30, 2020 at 11:14 am
Penile Prosthesis Market 2020 Global Industry study report provides information regarding Penile Implants market size, share, trends, growth, cost structure, capacity, and revenue and forecast ...
- 3D Printed Medical Implants Market Spurs as Demand from Various End-Use Industries Growson April 30, 2020 at 5:14 am
The global 3D Printed Medical Implants market is segmented on the basis of type and application. It also provides market size and forecast estimates from the year 2020 to 2027 with respect to five ...
- Global Custom 3D Printed Implants Market 2020 Industry Analysis by Manufacturers, Type, Application, End-User and Forecast 2025on March 30, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Then, Custom 3D Printed Implants sales, revenue and market share ... Bio3D Technologies, Cyfuse Medical, On the basis on the end users/applications, this report focuses on the status and outlook ...
via Bing News