Breakthrough technology creates materials infused with cancer-fighting drugs, antibiotics
A team of researchers at Louisiana Tech University has developed an innovative method for using affordable, consumer-grade 3D printers and materials to fabricate custom medical implants that can contain antibacterial and chemotherapeutic compounds for targeted drug delivery.
The team comprised of doctoral students and research faculty from Louisiana Tech’s biomedical engineering and nanosystems engineering programs collaborated to create filament extruders that can make medical-quality 3D printing filaments. Creating these filaments, which have specialized properties for drug delivery, is a new concept that can result in smart drug delivering medical implants or catheters.
“After identifying the usefulness of the 3D printers, we realized there was an opportunity for rapid prototyping using this fabrication method,” said Jeffery Weisman, a doctoral student in Louisiana Tech’s biomedical engineering program. “Through the addition of nanoparticles and/or other additives, this technology becomes much more viable using a common 3D printing material that is already biocompatible. The material can be loaded with antibiotics or other medicinal compounds, and the implant can be naturally broken down by the body over time.”
According to Weisman, personalized medicine and patient specific medication regiments is a current trend in healthcare. He says this new method of creating medically compatible 3D printing filaments will offer hospital pharmacists and physicians a novel way to deliver drugs and treat illness.
“One of the greatest benefits of this technology is that it can be done using any consumer printer and can be used anywhere in the world,” Weisman said.
The Latest on: Custom medical implants
via Google News
The Latest on: Custom medical implants
- Kearney's Dr. Chris Wilkinson now offering customized knee replacements, says he's the first in Nebraska to do soon July 2, 2019 at 8:44 am
They’re custom-made for each patient. Wilkinson, an orthopedic surgeon at Kearney Regional Medical Center, said he became the ... This allows the surgeon to determine how the implant will fit. ... […]
- Medin Technologies acquires ortho implant manufacturer AMTon July 2, 2019 at 7:22 am
Medin Technologies designs and manufactures highly engineered, custom-designed sterilization cases and trays for orthopedic OEMs. AMT Medical will continue manufacturing orthopedic implants and will ... […]
- Medin Technologies, Inc. Completes Add-on Acquisition of Advantage Manufacturing Technologies, Inc., Expands Platform in Medical Manufacturingon July 1, 2019 at 5:05 pm
About AMT Medical, Inc. AMT Medical, Inc., headquartered in Monroe, Washington, is a medical contract manufacturer of orthopedic implants and ... highly engineered, custom-designed sterilization ... […]
- Global Medical Bionic Implants Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming yearson July 1, 2019 at 7:58 am
If you don't find that you are looking in this report so, please get in touch with our custom research team at [email protected]“ The post Global Medical Bionic Implants Market is slated to ... […]
- Ocular Implant Market to Surpass US$ 20.2 Billion by 2026on June 26, 2019 at 8:34 am
There are different types of ocular implants ranging from shape such as spherical and oval, stock and custom. The basic simplification ... Morcher GmbH, OSD Medical GmbH, Ophtec BV, and ZEISS ... […]
- A model of ganglion axon pathways accounts for percepts elicited by retinal implantson June 25, 2019 at 11:13 am
current implant users perceive highly distorted phosphenes that vary in shape both across subjects and electrodes. We characterized these distortions by asking users of the Argus retinal prosthesis ... […]
- Surgical Implants Suppliers serving Indianaon May 28, 2019 at 5:00 pm
ISO 9002 certified custom manufacturer of medical devices such as surgical implants, medical instruments, orthopaedic instruments & surgical instruments. Medical instruments include fine precision ... […]
- Titanium, Medical Implants Suppliers serving Eastern Massachusettson May 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Custom manufacturer of titanium medical implants. Implants are available for orthopedic reconstruction, spinal, cardiovascular, trauma, extremities, maxillofacial, neurocranial, and other applications ... […]
- Designing Custom Skull Implantson April 4, 2019 at 6:18 am
He realized his work with materials in the automotive sector, paired with some of the latest technological advancements in digital fabrication, and could be applied to medical devices. Granta would ... […]
- The Instant, Custom, Connected Future of Medical Deviceson February 16, 2019 at 8:44 pm
like knee joints and spinal implants. The printers make it faster, easier and cheaper to make customized medical devices based on a patient’s M.R.I. and C.T. scans. “They can be made in one-fifth to ... […]
via Bing News