Discovery may help treat memory disorders resulting from stroke, Alzheimer’s and brain injury
Stimulating a particular region in the brain via non-invasive delivery of electrical current using magnetic pulses, called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, improves memory, reports a new Northwestern Medicine® study.
The discovery opens a new field of possibilities for treating memory impairments caused by conditions such as stroke, early-stage Alzheimer’s disease, traumatic brain injury, cardiac arrest and the memory problems that occur in healthy aging.
“We show for the first time that you can specifically change memory functions of the brain in adults without surgery or drugs, which have not proven effective,” said senior author Joel Voss, assistant professor of medical social sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “This noninvasive stimulation improves the ability to learn new things. It has tremendous potential for treating memory disorders.”
The study was published August 29 in Science.
The study also is the first to demonstrate that remembering events requires a collection of many brain regions to work in concert with a key memory structure called the hippocampus – similar to a symphony orchestra. The electrical stimulation is like giving the brain regions a more talented conductor so they play in closer synchrony.
“It’s like we replaced their normal conductor with Muti,” Voss said, referring to Riccardo Muti, the music director of the renowned Chicago Symphony Orchestra. “The brain regions played together better after the stimulation.”
The approach also has potential for treating mental disorders such as schizophrenia in which these brain regions and the hippocampus are out of sync with each other, affecting memory and cognition.
The Latest on: Transcranial magnetic stimulation
via Google News
The Latest on: Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- New Type of TMS Promising for PTSDon July 3, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Intermittent theta-burst stimulation (iTBS), a novel type of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), reduces symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), new research suggests. Investigators ... […]
- Mental health commissioner urges caution on new suicidal behaviour treatmenton July 3, 2019 at 9:12 am
Speaking to Times of Malta, psychiatrist Mark Xuereb said Crisis Resolution Malta was piloting a new form of treatment, called theta burst transcranial magnetic stimulation, which he said can reduce ... […]
- Surya Psychiatric Clinic Brings Revolutionary FDA-Cleared Mental Health Technology for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) to Patients in Arizonaon July 2, 2019 at 6:00 am
announced plans to offer patients access to BrainsWay’s Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) therapy for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). Surya Psychiatric has been operating in ... […]
- Finnish Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Research Using Nexstim SmartFocus Technology Receives Significant Funding from Wings for Life Foundationon July 1, 2019 at 10:39 pm
The studied treatment combines transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) with simultaneous peripheral nerve stimulation. The group will use Nexstim’s NBS system for the TMS in the study. ... […]
- Lifting a decade of major depression with eight weeks of TMS treatmenton July 1, 2019 at 12:05 pm
But after undergoing transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) treatment, she feels like she “won the lottery” — and the relief came in only eight weeks. “Before, I was in too much pain to function any ... […]
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) (image)on June 30, 2019 at 4:05 pm
Personalized neurotechnology-aided rehabilitation of the arm could improve recovery in severe chronic stroke patients according to a new paper published today in the journal Brain. Disclaimer ... […]
- Magnetic stimulation a growing treatment for depressionon June 28, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Every treatment proved ineffective for Maguire, so she launched into research on transcranial magnetic stimulation, a noninvasive treatment that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the ... […]
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Results of Voting at Annual and Special Meeting of Shareholderson June 28, 2019 at 2:10 pm
TORONTO--(Business Wire)--Greenbrook TMS Inc. (TSX: GTMS) (“Greenbrook” or the “Company”), a leading provider of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (“TMS”) therapy in the United States, announced today ... […]
- Katy psychiatrist offers new treatment options for depressionon June 24, 2019 at 10:09 am
Dr. Kimberly Cress, MD, and the device she uses in her Katy psychiatric practice for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, a treatment for clinical depression. Dr. Kimberly Cress, MD, and the device she ... […]
- BrainsWay Announces Shipment of 100th Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Helmeton June 24, 2019 at 9:01 am
BrainsWay (NASDAQ:BWAY, TASE:BWAY) has announced that it has shipped its 100th Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) system to treat major depressive disorder (MDD) and obsessive ... […]
via Bing News