With a new therapeutic product, researchers have managed to cure arthritis in mice for the first time. The scientists are now planning to test the efficacy of the drug in humans.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a condition that causes painful inflammation of several joints in the body. The joint capsule becomes swollen, and the disease can also destroy cartilage and bone as it progresses. Rheumatoid arthritis affects 0.5% to 1% of the world’s population. Up to this point, doctors have used various drugs to slow or stop the progression of the disease. But now, ETH Zurich researchers have developed a therapy that takes the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis in mice to a new level: after receiving the medication, researchers consider the animals to be fully cured.
The drug is a biotechnologically produced active substance consisting of two fused components. One component is the body’s own immune messenger interleukin 4 (IL-4); previous studies have shown that this messenger protects mice with rheumatoid arthritis against cartilage and bone damage. ETH scientists have coupled an antibody to IL-4 that, based on the key-lock principle, binds to a form of a protein that is found only in inflamed tissue in certain diseases (and in tumour tissue).
Localised drug delivery
“As a result of combination with the antibody, IL-4 reaches the site of the disease when the fusion molecule is injected into the body,” says pharmacist Teresa Hemmerle, who has just completed her dissertation in the group of Dario Neri, a professor at the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Together with Fabia Doll, also a PhD pharmacist at ETH, she is the lead author of the study. “It allows us to concentrate the active substance at the site of the disease. The concentration in the rest of the body is minimal, which reduces side-effects,” she says.
The Latest on: Curing arthritis
via Google News
The Latest on: Curing arthritis
- Kids battling arthritis with pediatric rheumatologist shortage in Arizona, USon June 26, 2019 at 8:13 am
There is no cure for pediatric arthritis, the hope is that a child goes into remission. If you want to help, the Arthritis Foundation needs donations and volunteers. To make a donation: ... […]
- Can employers save money with stem cell therapy?on June 26, 2019 at 7:11 am
The benefits of stem cells are hotly debated in the medical community, and federal regulators have warned the public to beware of clinics that peddle unapproved injections as a cure-all ... million ... […]
- FDA issues warnings to companies that claim an herbal drug can cure opioid addictionon June 25, 2019 at 5:09 pm
The FDA issued warnings to two businesses that are illegally marketing and making "unproven" claims that their products, which contain a drug called kratom, can treat or cure opioid addiction ... ... […]
- Anti-TNF a Success in Intestinal Behçet'son June 25, 2019 at 11:02 am
the cure rate was 44.8%, the researchers reported online in Arthritis Research & Therapy. Behçet's disease is a multifaceted systemic inflammatory disease affecting numerous body systems, including ... […]
- Is CBD Really the Marijuana Molecule That Cures All?on June 22, 2019 at 11:25 pm
2. What does it do? CBD has been touted as a potential treatment for any number of ailments, among them depression, insomnia, brain injury, opioid addiction, diabetes, arthritis, and graft versus host ... […]
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: Conferences, PDUFA Dates, Clinical Trial Readouts And IPOson June 22, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Cure SMA Annual Conference: June 28-July 1 in Anaheim ... Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NYSE: NAVB) is scheduled to present Phase 1/2 data for its NAV3-31 in rheumatoid arthritis. Ascendis Pharma ... […]
- Researchers Close To Finding Cure For Lyme Arthritison June 19, 2019 at 10:18 pm
Did you know that not all carbs are considered detrimental to your health? Read on to find out the perfect time to eat carbs and lose weight. ... […]
- Los Altos native to be honored at Saturday's Walk to Cure Arthritison June 19, 2019 at 1:11 am
Los Altos native and University of San Francisco sophomore Katie Taves is scheduled to be honored Saturday morning at the Walk to Cure Arthritis in San Francisco. Taves was diagnosed at age 9 with a ... […]
- Virginia Tech researchers discover cellular component of Lyme arthritis that could lead to treatmenton June 17, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Jutras and his team just published their findings about a cellular component found in patients with Lyme arthritis - a painful condition that ... Jutras isn't quite ready to call this most recent ... […]
- Miracle device that cures Blood Pressure, Arthritis, stroke, other ailments unveiled [Sponsored]on June 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
Listen! It doesn’t matter how long you have been battling with that ailment(s), this miracle device helps to completely gets rid of 50 chronic ailments (Including Partial Stroke, High Blood ... […]
via Bing News