The improved performance could mean expanding the expected lifespan of silicon-based electric vehicle batteries up to 3 times or more, which would be significant for consumers, considering replacement batteries cost thousands of dollars. For cell phones or tablets, it could mean having to recharge every three days, instead of every day.
Researchers at the University of California, Riverside’s Bourns College of Engineering have created a lithium ion battery that outperforms the current industry standard by three times. The key material: sand. Yes, sand.
“This is the holy grail – a low cost, non-toxic, environmentally friendly way to produce high performance lithium ion battery anodes,” said Zachary Favors, a graduate student working with Cengiz and MihriOzkan, both engineering professors at UC Riverside.
The idea came to Favors six months ago. He was relaxing on the beach after surfing in San Clemente, Calif. when he picked up some sand, took a close look at it and saw it was made up primarily of quartz, or silicon dioxide.
The Latest on: Battery performance
via Google News
The Latest on: Battery performance
- Ferrari SF90 Stradale review: Hybrid power brings supreme performanceon June 28, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Hard on the brakes and shifting down gears for the hairpin that’s the Fiorano test track’s tightest turn, the SF90 Stradale is totally, truly Ferrari. The twin-turbo V8 barks like a big and very bad ...
- How The Covid-19 Pandemic Is Impacting The Battery Sectoron June 28, 2020 at 3:05 pm
In today’s article I interview industry experts to explore the impact the Covid-19 pandemic is having on the battery sector.
- Replace your Xiaomi battery for $7 – see available devices hereon June 26, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Replace your Xiaomi battery for $7 - see available devices here. While some of the devices are pretty old, we also have new phones on the list ...
- Tesla Already Has a "Million-Mile" Batteryon June 25, 2020 at 9:57 am
Electric car maker Tesla Inc plans to introduce a new low-cost, long-life battery in its Model 3 sedan in China later this year or early next that it expects will bring the cost of electric vehicles ...
- The Problem With Cordless Stick Vacuums? The Battery.on June 25, 2020 at 9:38 am
There's a major problem with cordless stick vacuums, and that's the battery, according to Consumer Reports' member survey. Nearly half of new battery-powered stick vacs will develop problems within ...
- 3 Battery Stocks to Watch Amid Electric Car Revolutionon June 25, 2020 at 6:43 am
The world of automotives is undergoing a massive change, with several factors rolling in to form a new need of the hour — the electric vehicle. After all, the shift toward clean energy and ...
- Lenovo Yoga C640 review: The battery life blows us awayon June 25, 2020 at 3:34 am
IML may be saddled with a dual-core i3 processor and cramped storage, but it’s blessed with stellar battery life.
- Level of play and coach-rated game intelligence are related to performance on design fluency in elite soccer playerson June 25, 2020 at 2:20 am
Since soccer is complex in terms of speed and control of information processing, as well as decision making per time unit, a specific demand on the executive system seems to be important for success ...
- New battery electrolyte may boost the performance of electric vehicleson June 22, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Researchers have designed a new electrolyte for lithium metal batteries that could increase the driving range of electric cars.
- New battery electrolyte developed at Stanford may boost the performance of electric vehicleson June 22, 2020 at 8:26 am
In a study published June 22 in Nature Energy, Stanford researchers demonstrate how their novel electrolyte design boosts the performance of lithium metal batteries, a promising t ...
via Bing News