” What she needs is someone who is always there, who can help with everyday tasks, who will listen and smile.”
EACH time I make a house call, I stay much longer than I should. I can’t leave because my patient is holding my hand, or because she’s telling me, not for the first time, about when Aunt Mabel cut off all her hair and they called her a boy at school, or how her daddy lost his job and the lights went out and her mother lit pine cones and danced and made everyone laugh. Sometimes I can’t leave because she just has to show me one thing, but getting to that thing requires that she rise unsteadily from her chair, negotiate her walker through the narrow hallway, and find whatever it is in the dim light of her bedroom.
I can, and do, write prescriptions for her many medical problems, but I have little to offer for the two conditions that dominate her days: loneliness and disability. She has a well-meaning, troubled daughter in a faraway state, a caregiver who comes twice a week, a friend who checks in on her periodically, and she gets regular calls from volunteers with the Friendship Line.
It’s not enough. Like most older adults, she doesn’t want to be “locked up in one of those homes.” What she needs is someone who is always there, who can help with everyday tasks, who will listen and smile.
What she needs is a robot caregiver.
The Latest on: Robot caregivers
via Google News
The Latest on: Robot caregivers
- Robots To The Rescue: How High-Tech Machines Are Being Used To Contain The Wuhan Coronaviruson February 2, 2020 at 8:04 am
Doctors, airport workers, and hotel staff are using high-tech machines to help contain the outbreak that has been sweeping the world since was first discovered in Wuhan, China in late December.
- Seattle hospital giant threatens to lock out thousands of striking nurses and caregiverson January 31, 2020 at 6:14 am
Doctors have been using a robot to treat the first person known to have been admitted to hospital in the US with a new strain of the coronavirus, as part of an effort to prevent the spread of the ...
- Meet the robot helping doctors treat coronavirus patientson January 28, 2020 at 12:24 pm
“Telehealth devices like the ‘robot’ assist caregivers in performing basic diagnostic functions and allow them to communicate easily with the patient,” Rebecca Bartles, the executive director of ...
- Robot doc treats local coronavirus patient; 5 cases in U.S.on January 25, 2020 at 12:30 am
The first person, a man in his 30s, was hospitalized Monday in Everett, where he’s being treated by a robot with a stethoscope and microphone ... A hospital spokesman said nurses and other caregivers ...
- Flying Taxis, Toilet Paper Robots and More at CES 2020on January 23, 2020 at 3:17 pm
The robot, around 6-inches tall, has the face of a bear — like the cartoon ones in ... "We want to enable loved ones to live on their own," said Ryan Herd, founder of Caregiver Smart Solutions.
- Granny foster care, talking robots, uni students to fix aged care crisison January 23, 2020 at 3:00 pm
DEMENTIA villages, talking robots and foster care for grannies are being considered by the Royal Commission ... It suggests that workers be given more time off to care for elderly relatives. The ...
- Nursing care robots become more human with improved control methodon January 16, 2020 at 4:45 am
“In recent years, shortage of caregivers has become a serious social problem as the result of a falling birth rate and an ageing population,” said Changan Jiang, an assistant professor of mechanical ...
- A $1,300 smart bassinet showed me I'm ready for a robot nannyon January 12, 2020 at 5:01 am
While there's been a lot of hand-wringing about robots taking traditional jobs, I'm okay with one handling my rocking ... "This is not a baby bed, this is a baby caregiver," he said. Karp said he's at ...
- The technology of the future paints a very lonely picture for all of uson January 11, 2020 at 3:56 am
Companion technology ranges from caregiver robots and pets, including these headless cats for people who have allergies or can’t fully care for one, to virtual reality getaways. For example, some ...
- CES Gadget Show: Pizza from robots, underwater scooterson January 9, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Caregiver Smart Solutions ... companies to unveil their products and services for the coming year. While many robots were front and centre at CES, one was tucked away behind a concession stand ...
via Bing News