A team of Stanford University researchers, including former Energy Secretary Steven Chu, believes it has achieved the “holy grail” of lithium battery design: an anode of pure lithium that could boost the range of an electric car to 300 miles.
Lithium-ion batteries are one of the most common types of rechargeable batteries on the market today. But most of the batteries — found in technologies like smartphones and electric cars — use an anode made of graphite or silicon.
The lithium in a lithium-ion battery today is found in the electrolyte. The electrons in the electrolyte flow to the anode during recharging, and if the anode were also made of lithium, the battery would be able to generate much more power and weigh much less.
Until now, however, lithium anodes have been unusable. The material expands during charging, opening fissures on the surface that release lithium ions and form messy, hairlike growths called dendrites that reach out and short-circuit the battery. Lithium anodes are also highly chemically reactive with the lithium electrolyte and can overheat to the point of fire or even explosion.
The potential flammability of lithium-ion batteries has come under scrutiny after three electric cars made by Tesla Motors Inc. crashed and caught fire last year after hitting road debris (Greenwire, Nov. 8, 2013).
The Stanford team thinks it has solved these problems with a protective layer of tiny carbon domes, called nanospheres, that form a flexible honeycomb-styled shield over the anode. The nanosphere wall, just 20 nanometers thick, is strong and flexible enough to move up and down as the anode expands and contracts during the battery’s charge-discharge cycle.
The Latest on: Lithium battery design
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium battery design
- 17500 Cylindrical Lithium Ion Battery Market Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic: Panasonic(Sanyo), Samsung SDI, LG Chemon November 27, 2020 at 4:45 am
A new explanatory report titled,”17500 Cylindrical Lithium Ion Battery Market \| Pricing Structure and key Dec ...
- Lithium Junior Miner News For The Month Of November 2020on November 26, 2020 at 11:51 am
Lithium prices were mixed for the past month but generally flat. Lithium market news - Wood Mac - Big 5 transition metals are copper, aluminium, nickel, cobalt, and lithium.
- Lithium Miners News For The Month Of November 2020on November 25, 2020 at 5:53 am
Lithium prices were mixed for the past month but generally flat. Lithium market news - Wood Mackenzie - The big five transition metals are copper, aluminium, nickel, cobalt and lithium.
- Australia's Galaxy Resources to raise $118 mln to fund lithium projectson November 24, 2020 at 8:39 pm
Australian lithium miner Galaxy Resources on Wednesday said it will raise about A$161 million ($118.43 million) in a share placement to fund the development of its lithium projects in Argentina and ...
- Ion Storage Systems Makes the Cut in Army’s Quest for Extreme Batteryon November 24, 2020 at 5:00 am
WASHINGTON--(Business Wire)--Ion Storage Systems (ISS) today announced that it was awarded a $500,000 contract from a University of Maryland (UMD)-led $7.2 million consortium for the Center for ...
- sonnen introduces the sonnenCore, a new all-in-one, affordable home battery for every homeon November 20, 2020 at 3:41 am
The new compact, affordable, and fully sonnen-designed sonnenCore home battery solution is built using sonnen’s proven energy management expertise. This product evolution expands sonnen’s premium ...
- Sonnen launches all-in-one affordable home battery systemon November 19, 2020 at 10:35 am
Sonnen has released sonnenCore, a cost-effective, all-in-one home battery solution that will give Tesla Powerwall a run for its money.
- NeoVolta NV24’s Unique Design Provides Consumers with Low Cost Per Kilowatt-Houron November 18, 2020 at 11:00 am
The NeoVolta NV14 stores 14.4 kilowatt-hours of energy, enough to power critical loads for an average household overnight. Homeowners who need even more storage can stack the NV14 with the NV24 and ...
- Global Lithium Silicon Battery Market By Leading Players, Future Applications, Trending Regions and Industry Share Estimate by 2026on November 17, 2020 at 11:29 am
The global “Lithium Silicon Battery Market” is expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and generate the highest revenue ...
- Lithium Americas Reports Third Quarter 2020 Resultson November 17, 2020 at 10:26 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Lithium Americas Corp. (TSX: LAC) (NYSE: LAC) (“Lithium Americas” or the “Company”) has reported financial and operating results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2020.
via Bing News