The storage capacity of hard drives is increasing explosively, but the speed with which all that data can be written has reached its limits.
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the FOM Foundation present a promising new technology which potentially allows data to be stored 1,000 times as fast in Nature Communications on 10 July. The technology, in which ultra-short laser pulses generate a ‘spin current’, also opens the way to future optical computer chips.
A thousand times faster
“The change in the magnetization is of the order of 100 femtoseconds, which is a factor 1,000 faster than what is possible with today’s technology”, says Schellekens. As well as that, the researchers were able to describe the physical processes that are involved in detail. “There was discussion among physicists about whether the generated spin current is actually able to cause the change in magnetization. We now definitely show that this is really the case”, says Schellekens.
The Latest on: Spin current
via Google News
The Latest on: Spin current
- Trump’s Claim About The Covid-19 Death Rate Is Wrong No Matter How You Spin Iton July 7, 2020 at 2:19 am
He said that the current state of the outbreak in the US “is really not good” and a “serious situation that we have to address immediately”. The country is still “knee-deep” in the first wave of the ...
- The Seven Deadly Sins Cosplay Puts Spicy Fem Spin on Banon July 6, 2020 at 8:35 pm
The Seven Deadly Sins has some of the slickest character designs in action and manga today, but one cosplay has made Ban that much cooler with a new fem spin on the fan favorite!
- Trailer: Into the Dark’s July Episode THE CURRENT OCCUPANT Puts “President” in Insane Asylumon July 2, 2020 at 3:30 pm
Check out the new trailer for Into the Dark's July episode, The Current Occupant, and read more about the flick below. Synopsis:Trapped in a mysterious psychiatric ward, a man with no memory comes to ...
- Sony still pondering Spider-Man spin-off 'Silver and Black', reveals directoron July 2, 2020 at 9:03 am
Sony is still considering whether a movie featuring Silver Sable and Black Cat can work without the inclusion of Spider-Man, according to director Gina Prince-Bythewood. Silver an ...
- ‘Beavis and Butt-Head’ Will Get a Gen Z Spin in New Comedy Central Serieson July 1, 2020 at 9:23 am
Head are returning to television with a new Comedy Central series. The reimagined Beavis and Butt-Head will reunite Gen X viewers with the teenage couch potatoes and place them in the current world of ...
- Analyst Upgrades Comcast to "Outperform," Suggests NBCU/Sky Spin-Outon July 1, 2020 at 8:16 am
Bernstein analyst Peter Supino raises his price target to $52, the highest on Wall Street for the company, saying the stock is "demonstrably under-valued." ...
- Comcast Should Spin Off NBCU and Sky Units, Bernstein Sayson July 1, 2020 at 8:08 am
Comcast should consider spinning off its NBCUniversal and Sky units as a free-standing entertainment business, Bernstein analyst Peter Supino argues in a research note Wednesday. Supino made the bold ...
- MYOS RENS and MedAvail to merge, spin-out the muscle health businesson June 30, 2020 at 3:22 pm
AH to merge with MedAvail, with MedAvail being the surviving entity, and to continue to trade on the Nasdaq Capital Market.The combined company will focus on a ...
- ‘We Continue to Spin in Circles.’ Inside the Decades-Long Effort to Create A National Police Use-of-Force Databaseon June 30, 2020 at 2:15 pm
Everyone agrees the absence of comprehensive use-of-force data by the nation’s police is a roadblock to reform. Why hasn't it happened?
- Dell Technologies To Explore Spin-Off Of Its Majority Stake In VMware To Its Shareholderson June 29, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Dell, which owns 80.6% of VMware, is evaluating options of either spinning off the holding to existing Dell shareholders or buying the remaining stake in the group that it doesn’t already own and then ...
via Bing News