The storage capacity of hard drives is increasing explosively, but the speed with which all that data can be written has reached its limits.
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the FOM Foundation present a promising new technology which potentially allows data to be stored 1,000 times as fast in Nature Communications on 10 July. The technology, in which ultra-short laser pulses generate a ‘spin current’, also opens the way to future optical computer chips.
A thousand times faster
“The change in the magnetization is of the order of 100 femtoseconds, which is a factor 1,000 faster than what is possible with today’s technology”, says Schellekens. As well as that, the researchers were able to describe the physical processes that are involved in detail. “There was discussion among physicists about whether the generated spin current is actually able to cause the change in magnetization. We now definitely show that this is really the case”, says Schellekens.
The Latest on: Spin current
via Google News
The Latest on: Spin current
- Young Sheldon plot hole: Major Georgie money error from Big Bang spin-off exposedon July 8, 2020 at 5:33 pm
THE BIG BANG THEORY may have finished last year but the show's legacy continues with spin-off prequel Young Sheldon. Some perceptive fans have spotted an embarrassing money mishap.
- ‘Dear White People’: Justin Simien Discusses “Screaming At A Wall” & How The Netflix Comedy Could Live On In Spin-Offson July 7, 2020 at 4:45 pm
Netflix’s Dear White People has been portraying racial tensions at a fictional white Ivy League university for three seasons and is set to portray them for one final run once Justin Simien and his ...
- The Seven Deadly Sins Cosplay Puts Spicy Fem Spin on Banon July 7, 2020 at 12:55 pm
The Seven Deadly Sins has a number of fans on its side, but Meliodas isn't the only fighter nabbing attention from the series. When it comes to the sins themselves, Ban has become one of the hottest ...
- Cricket Australia spin chief: Sheffield Shield pitches, not the ball, need to changeon July 6, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Craig Howard has urged a move towards providing more help for spinners in the domestic game | ESPNcricinfo.com ...
- Trailer: Into the Dark’s July Episode THE CURRENT OCCUPANT Puts “President” in Insane Asylumon July 2, 2020 at 3:30 pm
Check out the new trailer for Into the Dark's July episode, The Current Occupant, and read more about the flick below. Synopsis:Trapped in a mysterious psychiatric ward, a man with no memory comes to ...
- Sony still pondering Spider-Man spin-off 'Silver and Black', reveals directoron July 2, 2020 at 9:03 am
Sony is still considering whether a movie featuring Silver Sable and Black Cat can work without the inclusion of Spider-Man, according to director Gina Prince-Bythewood. Silver an ...
- Comcast Should Spin Off NBCU and Sky Units, Bernstein Sayson July 1, 2020 at 9:08 am
Comcast should consider spinning off its NBCUniversal and Sky units as a free-standing entertainment business, Bernstein analyst Peter Supino argues in a research note Wednesday. Supino made the bold ...
- Analyst Upgrades Comcast to "Outperform," Suggests NBCU/Sky Spin-Outon July 1, 2020 at 8:16 am
Bernstein analyst Peter Supino raises his price target to $52, the highest on Wall Street for the company, saying the stock is "demonstrably under-valued." ...
- MYOS RENS and MedAvail to merge, spin-out the muscle health businesson June 30, 2020 at 3:22 pm
AH to merge with MedAvail, with MedAvail being the surviving entity, and to continue to trade on the Nasdaq Capital Market.The combined company will focus on a ...
- ‘We Continue to Spin in Circles.’ Inside the Decades-Long Effort to Create A National Police Use-of-Force Databaseon June 30, 2020 at 2:15 pm
Everyone agrees the absence of comprehensive use-of-force data by the nation’s police is a roadblock to reform. Why hasn't it happened?
via Bing News