The storage capacity of hard drives is increasing explosively, but the speed with which all that data can be written has reached its limits.
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the FOM Foundation present a promising new technology which potentially allows data to be stored 1,000 times as fast in Nature Communications on 10 July. The technology, in which ultra-short laser pulses generate a ‘spin current’, also opens the way to future optical computer chips.
A thousand times faster
“The change in the magnetization is of the order of 100 femtoseconds, which is a factor 1,000 faster than what is possible with today’s technology”, says Schellekens. As well as that, the researchers were able to describe the physical processes that are involved in detail. “There was discussion among physicists about whether the generated spin current is actually able to cause the change in magnetization. We now definitely show that this is really the case”, says Schellekens.
The Latest on: Spin current
via Google News
The Latest on: Spin current
- LUNAC announces spin out with £2.65 million funding to develop advanced anticoagulantson November 15, 2019 at 7:32 am
Current therapies carry the risk of causing bleeding ... This investment builds on Epidarex’s track record of funding innovative spin-outs from leading research universities, both across the UK and in ...
- Highly transparent conductors for optical and microwave access to spin-based quantum systemson November 15, 2019 at 3:29 am
We show that these strip lines are completely scalable which enables highly homogeneous microwave fields from the nanometre up to the millimetre scale. ITO structures can therefore serve as excellent ...
- The Spin: Deadline Springfield and Lightfoot’s muscle | Rahm Emanuel’s impeachment crystal ball | Meet Chicago’s new FBI bosson November 14, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Spin scoop, Part I - Lightfoot to host inaugural “Spotlight” political fundraiser ... The Wall Street Journal’s Gerald Seib wrote a piece this week about how the Democratic field of presidential ...
- Formation and current-induced motion of synthetic antiferromagnetic skyrmion bubbleson November 14, 2019 at 3:09 am
Skyrmion, a topologically-protected soliton, is known to emerge via electron spin in various magnetic materials. The magnetic skyrmion can be driven by low current density and has a potential to be ...
- Madison Square Garden To Spin 100% Of Its Entertainment Businesson November 13, 2019 at 11:54 am
The newly revised transaction would be structured as a tax-free pro rata spin-off to all MSG shareholders. Each shareholder would continue to own their current economic interest in both the sports and ...
- President Trump’s misleading spin on the border crisison November 13, 2019 at 12:00 am
“The government knew the moves would strain child shelters, according to documents and current and former officials, but it was aimed at sending a message to Central American migrants: Coming to the ...
- The Fact Checker’s guide to impeachment hearing spinon November 12, 2019 at 8:27 am
But that’s just self-serving spin. The initial whistleblower complaint related that several White House ... he wrote he “was not a direct witness to most of the events” recounted in the complaint. But ...
- New spin directions in pyrite an encouraging sign for future spintronicson November 12, 2019 at 6:44 am
Selective control of surface spin current in topological pyrite-type OsX2 (X = Se, Te) crystals was published in NPJ Quantum Materials in August 2019. Using first-principles calculations, the Monash ...
- The Spin: Public hearings in the Trump impeachment inquiry begin Wednesday. Here’s what to expect, plus the Chicago connection.on November 12, 2019 at 1:23 am
The Tribune’s Elyssa Cherney writes: ”State officials say health care options will improve Feb. 1 when more than 36,000 current and former foster children are enrolled in ... Read the story here.
- Spin Master Snags Seven Toy of the Year Nominations as The Toy Association Unveils 2020 Finalistson November 11, 2019 at 8:35 am
To date, Spin Master has produced nine television series, including the relaunched Bakugan: Battle Planet and current hit PAW Patrol, which is broadcast in over 160 countries and territories globally.
via Bing News