The storage capacity of hard drives is increasing explosively, but the speed with which all that data can be written has reached its limits.
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the FOM Foundation present a promising new technology which potentially allows data to be stored 1,000 times as fast in Nature Communications on 10 July. The technology, in which ultra-short laser pulses generate a ‘spin current’, also opens the way to future optical computer chips.
A thousand times faster
“The change in the magnetization is of the order of 100 femtoseconds, which is a factor 1,000 faster than what is possible with today’s technology”, says Schellekens. As well as that, the researchers were able to describe the physical processes that are involved in detail. “There was discussion among physicists about whether the generated spin current is actually able to cause the change in magnetization. We now definitely show that this is really the case”, says Schellekens.
The Latest on: Spin current
via Google News
The Latest on: Spin current
- K-State study reveals asymmetry in spin directions of galaxieson June 1, 2020 at 10:36 am
The patterns formed by spiral galaxies show that the universe may have a defined structure and suggest that the early universe could have been spinning, according to a Kansas State University ...
- Spin Control: One benefit of COVID-19 restrictions: Watching court cases from homeon May 31, 2020 at 4:10 am
While there are many things we are all giving up because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the “stay home when possible” order has added one thing for the public in general, and reporters in particular: the ...
- Bangladesh Spin Coach Daniel Vettori Donates Portion of Salary for BCB's Low-income Staffon May 31, 2020 at 1:46 am
Bangladesh spin bowling coach Daniel Vettori has asked the Bangladesh Cricket Board to give a part of his salary to low-income staffers.
- Who will open with Rohit Sharma in our current world ODI XI?on May 28, 2020 at 11:45 pm
The opening conundrum The man with five centuries in the 2019 World Cup was an automatic pick for everyone, but with ODI cricket currently blessed with a wide range of openers, who walks out to open ...
- Don't Believe Aurora Cannabis' Profitability Spinon May 27, 2020 at 8:02 am
Aurora Cannabis finally made the move that investors have anxiously awaited for a long time. The Canadian cannabis producer announced last week that it entered into an agreement t ...
- Spin Master Entertainment's Hit Preschool Series PAW Patrol™ Wins Four Canadian Screen Awardson May 27, 2020 at 5:14 am
TOY; a leading global children's entertainment company, has won four Canadian Screen Awards, presented by the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television, for its global hit preschool series PAW Patrol™.
- Spin Current in an Antiferromagnet is Coherenton May 26, 2020 at 8:03 am
Experiments show that a spin current moves as a coherent evanescent spin wave through an antiferromagnet layer sandwiched between two ferromagnets.
- Spin Master Delivers the Joy of Play Donating Close to 90,000 Toys to Children Across North Americaon May 26, 2020 at 5:19 am
TOY, a leading global children's entertainment company is donating close to 90,000 toys, plush, games and activities at a retail value of approximately US $1 million to children in need in response ...
- Tuning the interfacial spin-orbit coupling with ferroelectricityon May 26, 2020 at 2:21 am
The spin Hall angle (SHA) is a measure of the efficiency for converting a charge to a spin current is still challenging to tune in situ. Here, the authors demonstrate by introducing a ferroelectric ...
- Australia’s cricket star Shane Warne issues dire warning for spin bowling stockson May 23, 2020 at 3:05 am
Cricket great Shane Warne says every side should have to pick a spinner in Sheffield Shield cricket as he fears the standard of spin bowling in Australia is “going downhill fast”.
via Bing News