Using waste carbon dioxide and easily obtained machined parts, this approach offers a promising route to a renewable fuel
Research to curb global warming caused by rising levels of atmospheric greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, usually involves three areas: Developing alternative energy sources, capturing and storing greenhouse gases, and repurposing excess greenhouse gases. Drawing on two of these approaches, researchers in the laboratory of Andrew Bocarsly, a Princeton professor of chemistry, collaborated with researchers at start-up company Liquid Light Inc. of Monmouth Junction, New Jersey, to devise an efficient method for harnessing sunlight to convert carbon dioxide into a potential alternative fuel known as formic acid. The study was published June 13 in the Journal of CO2 Utilization.
The transformation from carbon dioxide and water to formic acid was powered by a commercial solar panel provided by the energy company PSE&G that can be found atop electric poles across New Jersey. The process takes place inside an electrochemical cell, which consists of metal plates the size of rectangular lunch-boxes that enclose liquid-carrying channels.
To maximize the efficiency of the system, the amount of power produced by the solar panel must match the amount of power the electrochemical cell can handle, said Bocarsly. This optimization process is called impedance matching. By stacking three electrochemical cells together, the research team was able to reach almost 2 percent energy efficiency, which is twice the efficiency of natural photosynthesis. It is also the best energy efficiency reported to date using a man-made device.
The Latest on: Carbon dioxide to fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Carbon dioxide to fuel
- Oxy to shift into 'carbon management company'on December 3, 2020 at 5:20 am
Occidental Petroleum said Wednesday its plan to get to to net zero greenhouse gas emissions by mid century would rely heavily on direct air capture and carbon storage sites.
- Porsche launches effort to make carbon-neutral 'e-gas'on December 2, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Porsche has no plan to make an electric version of its iconic 911 sports cars. So, how to ensure continued sale of its flagship model far into the future, when ...
- Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) Market Size, Share to Amass Lucrative Gains During 2019-2026on December 2, 2020 at 9:38 am
Market Size and Analysis maintains enhanced dynamics and is overshadowed by a top player across the globe. The research report provides Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) Market Growth and ...
- Carbon dioxide converted to ethylene—the 'rice of the industry'on December 2, 2020 at 9:29 am
In recent times, electrochemical conversion (e-chemical) technology—which converts carbon dioxide to high-value-added compounds using renewable electricity—has gained research attention as a carbon ...
- Researchers identify new process to produce ammonia with a much smaller carbon footprinton December 1, 2020 at 7:40 am
Ammonia is the second most commonly produced chemical in the world and an important component of most fertilizers, but current industrial processes to make ammonia produce several millions of tons of ...
- Mars colony: how to make breathable air and fuel from brine – new researchon November 30, 2020 at 12:12 pm
Living off the land” will be even more important on Mars than on the Moon, because Mars is much further away – making transport costs (and time) correspondingly greater. One major resource issue is ...
- Has the day in the sun finally arrived for green hydrogen and fuel cells on China’s road to attain carbon neutrality by 2060?on November 27, 2020 at 7:23 pm
The second in a four-part series on China's carbon neutrality goal of 2060 looks at the nation's roll-out of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles (FCVs) and refuelling stations more than a decade ago. The ...
- Slight, Beneficial Warming From More Carbon Dioxide!on November 26, 2020 at 8:01 pm
Precision research by physicists William Happer and Willem van Wijngaarden has determined that the current levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and water vapor are “saturated.” In radiation physics th ...
- World Fuel Rolls Out New Jet Fuel Carbon Offset Programon November 24, 2020 at 8:53 am
World Fuel Services has rolled out an enhanced carbon offset program that makes it easier for flight departments and FBOs to meet their carbon targets.
- Phrase ‘non-carbon emitting’ needs to be removed from climate bill (Letters)on November 23, 2020 at 10:53 am
The Springfield Climate Justice Coalition tells us that the proposed Springfield plant would emit an estimated 434,717 tons of carbon dioxide per year. The language in the House bill would consider ...
via Bing News