River basin storage data from on high are excellent indicators of overflow potential
Data from NASA satellites can greatly improve predictions of how likely a river basin is to overflow months before it does, according to new findings by UC Irvine. The use of such data, which capture a much fuller picture of how water is accumulating, could result in earlier flood warnings, potentially saving lives and property.
The research was published online Sunday in the journal Nature Geoscience.
A case study of the catastrophic 2011 Missouri River floods showed that factoring into hydrologic models the total water storage information from NASA’s Gravity Recovery & Climate Experiment mission – including groundwater accumulation below the surface – could have increased regional flood warning lead times from two months to as long as five months.
A review of the 2011 Columbia River floods found that warnings could have been issued three months before they occurred. Comprehensive underground measurements are not currently part of predictive models, which typically take into account river flow rates and some snowfall amounts.
“GRACE data contain important hydrologic information that is not currently being utilized to estimate regional flood potential,” said lead author J.T. Reager, who did the work as a UCI postdoctoral researcher and recently joined NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a research scientist. “This could significantly increase flood prediction lead times within large river basins.”
The Latest on: Flood prediction
via Google News
The Latest on: Flood prediction
- Met Office weather forecast – London & South to be lashed with torrential rain and storms with flood warnings in forceon August 15, 2020 at 4:36 am
LONDON and the South of England is set to be lashed with torrential rain and thunderstorms – with flood warnings now in force. Brits planning a summer staycation will be disappointed as ...
- BLOG: Heavy rain, flash flooding possible this weekendon August 15, 2020 at 4:24 am
Our weather pattern has changed a little bit in the past few days, but one thing still remains the same. The atmosphere is packed with moisture and there’s a good chance for heavy rain ...
- Metro Detroit Forecast: Chance of storms the rest of the weekendon August 15, 2020 at 3:09 am
More isolated storms are expected this afternoon. Some could be strong with heavy rain and damaging wind gusts.
- Three Die as Rains Lash India’s Jaipur City, Flooding Some Areason August 14, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Three people died as heavy rains lashed the Indian city of Jaipur, flooding low-lying areas of Rajasthan state’s capital.
- UK weather forecast: Flood warnings issued as thunderstorms savage Britain in 27C HEATWAVEon August 14, 2020 at 10:08 pm
A MET OFFICE weather warning is in place for much of south and central England, extending into southern Wales, as thunderstorms look set to strike Britain bringing a risk of flooding.
- Flash Flood Watches issued for Saturday as localized downpours bring “Moderate Risk” of floodingon August 14, 2020 at 9:09 pm
A FLASH FLOOD WATCH has been issued for Saturday for all of Southwest, Southside and Central Virginia until late Saturday night. A warm front will lift north of the region with widespread showers and ...
- Maryland Weather: Heavy Rain Leads To Flooding In Baltimore Area; Multiple Roads Temporarily Closedon August 14, 2020 at 7:53 pm
Heavy rain in parts of Maryland led to flooding in parts of the Baltimore area Friday evening. Between one and two inches of rain fell across a narrow band in a two-hour period. While the southern ...
- Flash Flood Watch canceled for Miami Valleyon August 14, 2020 at 6:47 pm
This upcoming pattern will continue to add to the impressive records in the Valley of... Firefighters raced on Thursday to control the Lake Fire ahead of warmer temperatures forecast for the coming ...
- Flood watch issued for southeast Manitoba with heavy rains in the forecaston August 14, 2020 at 10:22 am
The province has issued a flood watch for southeastern Manitoba, as some areas are expected to get hit with heavy rainfall in the next 24 hours.
- Updated forecast: Scattered downpours with pockets of flooding possible overnighton August 12, 2020 at 5:58 pm
Scattered downpours are likely through the rest of the evening and may continue on and off overnight as a front lingers near the region. A humid, tropical airmass in place means that showers and ...
via Bing News