River basin storage data from on high are excellent indicators of overflow potential
Data from NASA satellites can greatly improve predictions of how likely a river basin is to overflow months before it does, according to new findings by UC Irvine. The use of such data, which capture a much fuller picture of how water is accumulating, could result in earlier flood warnings, potentially saving lives and property.
The research was published online Sunday in the journal Nature Geoscience.
A case study of the catastrophic 2011 Missouri River floods showed that factoring into hydrologic models the total water storage information from NASA’s Gravity Recovery & Climate Experiment mission – including groundwater accumulation below the surface – could have increased regional flood warning lead times from two months to as long as five months.
A review of the 2011 Columbia River floods found that warnings could have been issued three months before they occurred. Comprehensive underground measurements are not currently part of predictive models, which typically take into account river flow rates and some snowfall amounts.
“GRACE data contain important hydrologic information that is not currently being utilized to estimate regional flood potential,” said lead author J.T. Reager, who did the work as a UCI postdoctoral researcher and recently joined NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a research scientist. “This could significantly increase flood prediction lead times within large river basins.”
The Latest on: Flood prediction
via Google News
The Latest on: Flood prediction
- Wild weather: Fine conditions forecast for most after wild weekendon December 8, 2019 at 11:30 am
Parts of the West Coast and areas in the central North Island were battered with heavy rains and stormy conditions; causing slips and mass flooding in cities and small towns. There were a total of ...
- Tropical Cyclone Belna Could Hit Northwest Madagascar With Damaging Winds, Flooding Rain and Storm Surgeon December 8, 2019 at 6:37 am
Three tropical cyclones have been active in the Indian Ocean during the past few days, and one of them is about to strike Madagascar.
- Arctic blast to usher in rapid freeze-up, snow potential behind early-week flooding threat in Northeaston December 8, 2019 at 3:36 am
Even in the absence of flooding, there will be hazards to motorists due to low visibility from downpours ... Story continues On Monday, highs are forecast to surge into the 40s F across the northern ...
- Flood Warning Issued in San Francisco, Advisories in Surrounding Countieson December 7, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Residents across the city posted videos on social media showing flooded streets. San Francisco's Municipal Transportation Agency stopped several subway lines due to flooding. According to the forecast ...
- Flash-Flood Watch in Effect Saturday for Kincade Fire Burn Scaron December 7, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Rainfall in the Kincade Fire area could exceed a half-inch per hour, bringing a risk for flooding and debris flows, according to the weather service. The rain is expected to taper off Sunday and drier ...
- AccuWeather forecast: Heavier downpours, chance of thunderstorms, flash flood watch continueson December 7, 2019 at 11:03 am
Breezy winds with scattered showers will be with us to start the weekend. Heavier downpours will arrive this afternoon with a chance of a thunderstorm. A Flash Flood Watch has been extended until 5PM ...
- Union City's Rainy Hour-By-Hour Forecast As Storm Rolls Throughon December 6, 2019 at 9:57 pm
Meanwhile, the burn scar in the North Bay is under a Flash Flood Watch. This may be the weekend to hunker-in, finish decorating the house, wrap all presents, bake holiday treats and watch ...
- AccuWeather forecast: Expect heavy rain, winds to pick-up, and flash flood watch for North Bayon December 6, 2019 at 3:52 pm
A Flash Flood Watch is up for the north bay and that includes the burn scar areas where ... VIDEO: Meteorologist Mike Nicco has your Bay Area AccuWeather forecast. Get ready for a 2-Moderate Storm on ...
- Flash flooding is a serious threat in the UK – here’s how scientists are tackling its predictionon December 6, 2019 at 7:57 am
Prediction models are also needed to quantify uncertainty in forecasting the rainfall that causes surface water flooding. The uncertain nature of intense storms means that heavy rainfall can happen ...
- California Flash Flood Watch, Wind and Winter Weather Advisories As Powerful Storm Heads Weston December 6, 2019 at 5:47 am
gusty winds and potential flooding forecast for the region as a powerful winter storm heads west this weekend. "A strong storm system will impact the western U.S. Friday through the weekend bringing ...
via Bing News