River basin storage data from on high are excellent indicators of overflow potential
Data from NASA satellites can greatly improve predictions of how likely a river basin is to overflow months before it does, according to new findings by UC Irvine. The use of such data, which capture a much fuller picture of how water is accumulating, could result in earlier flood warnings, potentially saving lives and property.
The research was published online Sunday in the journal Nature Geoscience.
A case study of the catastrophic 2011 Missouri River floods showed that factoring into hydrologic models the total water storage information from NASA’s Gravity Recovery & Climate Experiment mission – including groundwater accumulation below the surface – could have increased regional flood warning lead times from two months to as long as five months.
A review of the 2011 Columbia River floods found that warnings could have been issued three months before they occurred. Comprehensive underground measurements are not currently part of predictive models, which typically take into account river flow rates and some snowfall amounts.
“GRACE data contain important hydrologic information that is not currently being utilized to estimate regional flood potential,” said lead author J.T. Reager, who did the work as a UCI postdoctoral researcher and recently joined NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a research scientist. “This could significantly increase flood prediction lead times within large river basins.”
The Latest on: Flood prediction
via Google News
The Latest on: Flood prediction
- After the deluge: A tourist visits flood-hit Veniceon November 21, 2019 at 3:13 am
Just a few days after the popular city of canals endured history-making flood, the sometimes overtouristed city is now in need of visitors to help put it back on its feet.
- UK weather forecast – Met Office warns of flooding risk as heavy rain to smash UK todayon November 21, 2019 at 2:36 am
The forecast added: "Many other areas will be cloudy ... John Hammond, ex-BBC and Met Office forecaster of weathertrending, said: “There's a lot more rain to come, and that's worrying news for those ...
- Irish weather forecast – Orange and yellow rain alerts continue as Met Eireann warn further risk of ‘spot flooding’on November 20, 2019 at 11:06 pm
MET Eireann's major weather warnings for heavy rain remain in place today - as forecasters predict a further risk of spot flooding in some areas. Rain is set to be heaviest in the east of the ...
- Flash Flood Watch in effect, possible flooding overnight in parts of the Vegas areaon November 20, 2019 at 4:05 pm
A Flash Flood Watch is in effect in parts of the Las Vegas area, according to the National Weather Service. Dani Beckstrom has the full forecast.
- BBC Weather Europe: Orange warnings as ‘flooding’ and ‘landslides’ forecast to wreak havocon November 20, 2019 at 11:28 am
BBC Meteorologist Helen Willetts warned of “flooding or potentially even landslides” as the weather continues to ... ‘Very heavy’ snowfall ‘up to 30cm’ to fall this week [FORECAST] BBC Weather: ...
- Flash Flood Warning Update: More Than 13 Million Under Flood Advisory Across South California, Arizona, Nevada and Utahon November 20, 2019 at 8:25 am
"Flash flooding remains possible across the Desert Southwest for the next couple of days as rain associated with a developing low-pressure system moves slowly across the area. Up to a moderate risk is ...
- More than 13 million under a flash flood advisory as Southern California gets first significant rain since Mayon November 20, 2019 at 5:00 am
Much of California is still “abnormally dry,” according to the US drought monitor. Related Articles Bay Area rain possible over Thanksgiving, new Sierra snow this week Big weather change for SoCal: ...
- Rain on the way for south-central Wisconsin could cause flooding; potential blizzard still looms next weekon November 20, 2019 at 4:35 am
Moderate to heavy rainfall for south-central Wisconsin Wednesday night and Thursday will result in rising rivers and streams, with some possibly reaching flood stage Friday and into the weekend ... to ...
- Big weather change for Southern California: Rain, snow and possible flooding in the forecaston November 19, 2019 at 12:41 am
Southern Californians will see a big flip in the weather Tuesday, from record heat and red flag fire warnings to rain, thunderstorms, snow and cooler temperatures along with flash flood and winter ...
- N.J. weather: Freezing rain, ice in forecast today. Flooding a concern along Jersey Shore.on November 18, 2019 at 10:59 am
the weather service notes in its Monday morning forecast discussion The wintry weather in northwestern New Jersey has resulted in one delayed opening - Vernon schools will open two hours late.
via Bing News