Scientists at the Center for Research and Advanced Studies (Cinvestav) in Mexico developed a chip (also known as cDNA microarray) that allows detection of the RNA strand of the dengue fever virus.
The genetic information contained in this scientific tool pinpoints the exact serotype of malaria that an infected person or mosquito is carrying.
According to Maria de Lourdes Muñoz Moreno, researcher at the Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology at Cinvestav, the problem is that sometimes dengue fever cases are diagnosed improperly. “A simple flu could be mistaken for dengue fever; or on the contrary, the latter could be diagnosed as a cold,” said the specialist.
The chip allows analysis of the complementary strand of DNA (cDNA) obtained from the dengue fever virus being carried by the infected patient. Cinvestav specialist explains that said cDNA is covalently linked to a slide (substrate) that can be a glass or paper.
The Latest on: Dengue fever
via Google News
The Latest on: Dengue fever
- FDA approves first vaccine for prevention of dengue disease in endemic regions on June 5, 2019 at 9:45 pm
... more than one-third of the world's population is living in areas at risk for infection by dengue virus which causes dengue fever, a leading cause of illness among people living in the tropics and ... […]
- Dengue fever cases up in Ratanakkiri on June 4, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Dengue fever cases are on the rise in three Ratanakkiri province’s main districts, the provincial health department told The Post on Tuesday. More than 100 cases of dengue fever have been recorded in ... […]
- Kaohsiung reports 3 new indigenous dengue fever cases on June 3, 2019 at 8:07 am
Taipei, June 3 (CNA) Southern Taiwan's Kaohsiung City reported another three new cases of indigenous dengue fever last week, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) confirmed on Monday. The new ... […]
- 6 more cases of dengue fever confirmed on May 30, 2019 at 5:48 pm
SIX further cases of dengue fever cases have been identified in Rockhampton following intensive surveillance and control activities in the past week. A comprehensive dengue management plan has been ... […]
- After decades away, dengue returns to central Queensland on May 29, 2019 at 12:26 am
The illness known as dengue fever typically includes symptoms such as rash, fever, headache, joint pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. Symptoms can last for around a week or so. ... […]
- Dengue fever is now like the flu, WHO chief says, calling on countries to consider ‘practical values’ of new vaccine on May 27, 2019 at 6:47 pm
The World Health Organisation’s (WHO) top man in the Western Pacific region has called on dengue fever endemic countries to consider the practical values of the world’s first vaccine to fight against ... […]
- Cairns couple tells of horror experience with dengue fever on May 23, 2019 at 8:10 pm
IT wasn’t until the third time that Ron Crew contracted dengue fever, that he really started to worry about the disease. Ron, 76, and his wife Mena, 74, had been bedridden for nearly two weeks after ... […]
- 'Full outbreak response': First Rockhampton dengue fever case in decades on May 23, 2019 at 7:22 pm
The central Queensland city of Rockhampton has its first confirmed dengue fever case in almost 30 years, prompting a "full outbreak response", according to Queensland Health. Council officers and ... […]
- Urgent alert after dengue fever discovered in unexpected Queensland city on May 23, 2019 at 5:27 pm
An urgent alert has been issued after a Queensland resident was diagnosed with dengue fever. The diagnosis in Rockhampton, near the state’s central coast, has sparked a full outbreak response ... […]
- Dengue fever case in Rockhampton prompts full outbreak response after it was acquired locally on May 23, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Officials will be doorknocking residents in the area of the case today to warn them to take precautions It is the first time in decades dengue fever has been acquired locally in the central Queensland ... […]
via Bing News