Patients’ own cells transformed into model for studying disease and developing potential treatment
Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) researchers have created a way to develop personalized gene therapies for patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a leading cause of vision loss. The approach, the first of its kind, takes advantage of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell technology to transform skin cells into retinal cells, which are then used as a patient-specific model for disease study and preclinical testing.
Using this approach, researchers led by Stephen H. Tsang, MD, PhD, showed that a form of RP caused by mutations to the gene MFRP (membrane frizzled-related protein) disrupts the protein that gives retinal cells their structural integrity. They also showed that the effects of these mutations can be reversed with gene therapy. The approach could potentially be used to create personalized therapies for other forms of RP, as well as other genetic diseases. The paper was published recently in the online edition of Molecular Therapy, the official journal of the American Society for Gene & Cell Therapy.
“The use of patient-specific cell lines for testing the efficacy of gene therapy to precisely correct a patient’s genetic deficiency provides yet another tool for advancing the field of personalized medicine,” said Dr. Tsang, the Laszlo Z. Bito Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and associate professor of pathology and cell biology.
The Latest on: Personalized Gene Therapy
via Google News
The Latest on: Personalized Gene Therapy
- The Cell and Gene Therapy Market to Reach Revenues of Over $6.6 billion by 2024 - Market Research by Ariztonon November 13, 2019 at 7:09 am
CAR T-cell therapy has brought itself into focus due to the personalized nature of this therapy and the ... use of CAR T-cell therapy is fueling the growth of the global cell and gene therapy market.
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2024on November 11, 2019 at 5:54 pm
This report focuses on the key global Gene Therapy players, to define ... Report Store provides customization of reports as per your need. This report can be personalized to meet your requirements.
- Personalized Gene Therapy Treatments for Cancer Marketon November 3, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The market research report Personalized Gene Therapy Treatments for Cancer evaluates the historical, the latest values and current changes to predict the market for the coming years from 2019 to 2026.
- Opportunities and Challenges in Cell and Gene Therapy Development*on November 1, 2019 at 8:48 am
The game changer here is that cell and gene therapy use the body’s own systems, either the cellular immune system or the ability to repair and replace defective or missing genes. CAR-T cell therapy is ...
- GE Healthcare Launches Viral Vector-Based Gene Therapy Manufacturingon October 27, 2019 at 5:00 pm
GE Healthcare Life Sciences launched KUBio box, a fully integrated, flexible, and adaptable biomanufacturing environment to accelerate the production of viral vector-based gene therapies ... enhances ...
- Gene therapy field faces some unique challengeson October 8, 2019 at 7:41 am
The highly personalized nature of gene therapy will have implications for supply and reimbursement issues. The report suggests providers of gene therapy take a page from the pizza-delivery playbook: ...
- AVROBIO Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1/2 Trial of Gene Therapy for Cystinosison October 8, 2019 at 5:12 am
The gene therapy is derived from the patient’s own hematopoietic ... Before the infusion of the cells, patients undergo personalized conditioning with busulfan to enable the cells to permanently ...
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Future Scope, Demands and Projected Industry Growths to 2025on September 27, 2019 at 5:00 am
Globally, rising cancer prevalence will increase demand for gene therapy as the effective personalized treatment choice. According to WHO, cancer incidence is projected to rise by 50% to reach 15 ...
- Faster, cheaper, better: improved gene therapy tool productionon September 22, 2019 at 3:07 pm
The heart of modern therapy is increasingly personalized and targeted at specific cellular or genetic deficits. This requires gene therapy, in many cases. A new study, published on 19 September 2019 ...
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market 2016: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2024on September 11, 2019 at 2:19 am
utm_source=americannews&utm_medium=Pravin Globally, rising cancer prevalence will increase demand for gene therapy as the effective personalized treatment choice. According to WHO, cancer incidence is ...
via Bing News