The light-warping structures known as metamaterials have a new trick in their ever-expanding repertoire.
Researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have built a silver, glass and chromium nanostructure that can all but stop visible light cold in one direction while giving it a pass in the other.* The device could someday play a role in optical information processing and in novel biosensing devices.
In recent years, scientists have designed nanostructured materials that allow microwave or infrared light to propagate in only one direction. Such structures hold potential for applications in optical communication—for instance, they could be integrated into photonic chips that split or combine signals carried by light waves. But, until now, no one had achieved one-way transmission of visible light, because existing devices could not be fabricated at scales small enough to manipulate visible light’s short wavelengths. (So-called “one-way mirrors” don’t really do this—they play tricks with relative light levels.)
To get around that roadblock, NIST researchers Ting Xu and Henri Lezec combined two light-manipulating nanostructures: a multi-layered block of alternating silver and glass sheets and metal grates with very narrow spacings.
In the future, the new structure could be integrated into photonic chips that process information with light instead of electricity. Lezec thinks the device also could be used to detect tiny particles for biosensing applications.
The Latest on: Metamaterials
via Google News
The Latest on: Metamaterials
- Proof of concept of a frequency-preserving and time-invariant metamaterial-based nonlinear acoustic diodeon July 2, 2019 at 2:24 am
Acoustic filters and metamaterials have become essential components for elastic wave control in applications ranging from ultrasonics to noise abatement. Other devices have been designed in this field ... […]
- From fashion to noise control and autonomous vehicles: Silver Medals awarded to pioneering engineerson July 1, 2019 at 1:51 am
The three winners are: Dr Daniel Elford is Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer of Sonobex Ltd, a company that is developing acoustic metamaterials to address noise pollution problems. He was ... […]
- Purdue University: 3D Printing Nanoantenna Arrays for Metasurfaceson June 28, 2019 at 1:08 am
Jithin Prabha of Purdue University explores AM processes using 2 photon polymerization, useful for a variety of applications such as optics, along with metamaterials and surfaces, microfluidics ... […]
- Continental Signs Letter of Intent with Metamaterial Technologies Inc.on June 25, 2019 at 10:59 am
Metamaterials manufactures industrial, safety and consumer products. Metamaterial's mission is to master light through disruptive technology and advanced science to improve life on earth. ... […]
- Researchers Synthesize Quasi-2D Gold Filmon June 24, 2019 at 1:35 pm
The researchers said 2D metals bring them closer to a new class of optical metamaterials whose potential to control light could lead to unexpected technologies. The study showed that by using ... […]
- Crisper MRI Now Possible Thanks to Helical Resonator Metamaterialson June 10, 2019 at 8:41 am
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a complicated imaging modality and improving it requires a deep understanding of the physics involved. Scientists at Boston University have been working on ... […]
- Extraordinarily transparent compact metallic metamaterialson May 17, 2019 at 6:31 am
In materials science, achromatic optical components can be designed with high transparency and low dispersion. Materials scientists have shown that although metals are highly opaque, densely packed ... […]
- How metamaterials could one day bring the impossible to lifeon May 9, 2019 at 4:44 am
Metamaterials is one of the newest, most dynamic and exciting areas of science. They enable scientists to change the natural properties of materials, pushing the boundaries of possibility to achieve ... […]
- Global Metamaterials Market Research Report 2019: Description of 2018 Market, Revenue Estimates to 2030 & In-Depth Profiles of 28 Companieson April 30, 2019 at 5:00 pm
DUBLIN, May 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "The Global Market for Metamaterials" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Metamaterials are artificially engineered structures with ... […]
- Metamaterials Market is Evolving with High Growth Rate of CAGR 26.8 % 2018-2024on April 26, 2019 at 2:32 am
Apr 26, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- New York, April 26, 2019: The Global Metamaterials Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 26.08% during the forecast period. Metamaterial mediums are defined ... […]
via Bing News