When a mobile network is down, overloaded or simply out of range, it can be certainly be inconvenient or potentially much worse.
goTenna aims to keep mobile devices connected regardless of network status by creating its own network over which users can send messages to each other.
goTenna is somewhat reminiscent of the Be-Bound mobile app, which uses SMS messaging to provide internet access when there is no 3G or Wi-Fi availability. Where Be-Bound allows users to use email, check the weather and read the news, amongst other functionality, goTenna was developed with more serious applications in mind.
The device was conceived in the US towards the end of 2012 in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. According to the Federal Communications Commission, the storm knocked out around a quarter of cell towers across a 10 state area, leaving people unable to communicate when it was most critical. Siblings and goTenna founders Daniela and Jorge Perdomo saw that there would be a benefit to people being able to communicate in such situations via their mobile phones regardless of mobile network service.
“Our mission is twofold: to let people communicate whenever and wherever they want, on their own terms, and also to make sure that in times of a true emergency, people are able to reach others around them,” says Daniela Perdomo.
The Latest on: Peer to peer networks
via Google News
The Latest on: Peer to peer networks
- Opinion: Peer support can help bridge gaps in mental-health serviceson October 11, 2020 at 2:33 pm
One of these is to leverage peer support, a cost-effective, accessible form of support that can help bridge gaps in professional services. It’s empathetic, confidential and non-directional, and ...
- 2 Firms Aid As Interdealer Broker Buys Peer For Up To $700Mon October 9, 2020 at 10:38 am
TP ICAP has agreed to pay as much as $700 million for Liquidnet Holdings, the companies said Friday, in a deal that is meant to bolster TP ICAP's electronic trading network and was guided by Allen & ...
- Peer Support Vital to Help Young Returnees Rebuild Their Lives in West Africaon October 9, 2020 at 2:20 am
Badji is one of many young people in West and Central Africa who undertake dangerous journeys to Europe, do not reach their destination and struggle to return and re-establish their lives. For them, ...
- World 50 and G100 Come Together to Form the World's Leading Peer-to-Peer Platform for Senior Executiveson October 8, 2020 at 10:33 am
PRNewswire/ -- World 50 and G100, the world's leading peer-to-peer platforms for business leaders, have come together to form the most comprehensive ...
- Introducing VIP Peer-to-Peer Networking Groups from Total Tech Summiton October 8, 2020 at 8:25 am
New peer-to-peer Total Tech Summit working groups allow users to get business & tech questions answered and coordinate meet-ups at another industry events.
- UAE gets a peer-to-peer payments app that lets you split bills with friendson October 7, 2020 at 4:16 am
When Leen Shami had to pay her share of the bill for a joint lunch order at the office, she became the first person in the UAE to use Ziina, a newly launched peer-to-peer payments (P2P) app. The ...
- National Toxicology Program confirms fluoride a brain hazard, according to Fluoride Action Networkon October 6, 2020 at 1:25 pm
National Toxicology Program confirms fluoride a brain hazard, according to Fluoride Action NetworkPR NewswireNEW YORK, /PRNewswire/ -- In 2019, the National Toxicology Program (NTP), the research arm ...
- Ripple, a Peer-to-Peer Financing Network, Could Make Bitcoin Great (or Destroy It)on October 2, 2020 at 2:46 pm
Until now, one of the main flaws of Bitcoin, the encrypted digital currency, is that it still relies on centralized exchanges.
- Oil scions rally wealthy peers to press banks on climateon October 2, 2020 at 3:46 am
The Rockefellers have been critical of companies like Exxon Mobil for efforts to block action on climate change.
- Emotionally challenging calls – A case to formalize peer supporton October 1, 2020 at 10:06 am
He was hoping that having the next four days off would help, but the case troubled him deeply. He was having trouble sleeping; and when he could rest, he dreamed of the gruesome scene. It was like a ...
via Bing News