New wrist-mounted device augments the human hand with two robotic fingers.
Twisting a screwdriver, removing a bottle cap, and peeling a banana are just a few simple tasks that are tricky to pull off single-handedly. Now a new wrist-mounted robot can provide a helping hand — or rather, fingers.
Researchers at MIT have developed a robot that enhances the grasping motion of the human hand. The device, worn around one’s wrist, works essentially like two extra fingers adjacent to the pinky and thumb. A novel control algorithm enables it to move in sync with the wearer’s fingers to grasp objects of various shapes and sizes. Wearing the robot, a user could use one hand to, for instance, hold the base of a bottle while twisting off its cap.
“This is a completely intuitive and natural way to move your robotic fingers,” says Harry Asada, the Ford Professor of Engineering in MIT’s Department of Mechanical Engineering. “You do not need to command the robot, but simply move your fingers naturally. Then the robotic fingers react and assist your fingers.”
The Latest on: Robotic fingers
via Google News
The Latest on: Robotic fingers
- Robotics Prosthetics Industry Overview, Top Trends in 2020, Prosthetics Market Review, Size, Share and Growth Insights to 2027on November 18, 2019 at 1:47 am
Robust demand for robotic prosthetics in the United States (U.S.) results in regional dominance ... Prosthetic Feet/Ankles, and Prosthetic Hands, among others. By Technologies: Bluetooth, ...
- Mr. Robot recap: A reckoning with the paston November 18, 2019 at 12:46 am
Mr. Robot is panicking, not wanting Krista to go any further. Krista doesn’t want to go any further either. But Elliot, now on the verge of knowing some sort of truth, wants to know what they’re ...
- Utah businesses and the DABC express concerns about robotic barson November 17, 2019 at 2:51 pm
They can work 100 hours a week if they want to," says Wood. Morris was quick to point out that even though robotic bars won't call in sick, you'll need staff on hand to fix it if it breaks. Wood also ...
- This Robotic Arm Can Lend a Helping Hand With Repairson November 17, 2019 at 8:24 am
In terms of communication, which was the main goal, the scientists found that— qualitatively, at least—the ability to remotely control the tip of the robot's arms make it easier to complete a task.
- These 'Mr. Robot' Season 4 & Season 1 Parallels May Reveal The Show's Endgameon November 17, 2019 at 8:17 am
He opens up to Mr. Robot about the death of his father. Drug dealer Fernando Vera is introduced ... Elliot will soon be mourning the death of Krsita at the hands of Vera. Meanwhile, could Evil Corp's ...
- Stuffed toys, Robotics, Coding, and Bedtime Stories, the Mochi Robot for kids has it allon November 16, 2019 at 8:30 am
The Mochi Robot teaches children (ages 3-6) coding concepts while learning ABCs, 123s, words, numbers, colors, and more during hours of screen-free, hands-on play. Learn to code while exploring 12 ...
- How to make sure your robotic vacuum cleans the right spotson November 15, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Others come with a device that creates a virtual boundary using infrared beams to keep the robot in or out. And more models come with an app that lets you create boundaries with a swipe of your finger ...
- Robotic surgery expands in the Region with improved technology and more specialtieson November 15, 2019 at 1:00 pm
“Then they have a period of case observation of the robotic procedures and online, computer-based training." “After they complete case observations and online training, surgeons must attend (a Food ...
- Medtech in a Minute: 3D-Printed Breasts, a Hands-Free Robot, and Apple's Healthy Appetiteon November 15, 2019 at 9:39 am
3D-printed breasts are happening, and interventional radiologists get a cool new robot, but first, Apple wants to know all about your menstrual cycle.
- Meet the Tablet-Sized Robot That Could Democratize Percutaneous Interventional Procedureson November 14, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Fresh on the heels of its FDA clearance, Xact Robotics raised $36 million to support the U.S. launch and continued development of its hands-free robot.
via Bing News