Water condensing and jumping from a superhydrophobic surface can be harnessed to produce electricity.
Last year, MIT researchers discovered that when water droplets spontaneously jump away from superhydrophobic surfaces during condensation, they can gain electric charge in the process. Now, the same team has demonstrated that this process can generate small amounts of electricity that might be used to power electronic devices.
The new findings, by postdoc Nenad Miljkovic, associate professor of mechanical engineering Evelyn Wang, and two others, are published in the journal Applied Physics Letters.
This approach could lead to devices to charge cellphones or other electronics using just the humidity in the air. As a side benefit, the system could also produce clean water.
The device itself could be simple, Miljkovic says, consisting of a series of interleaved flat metal plates. Although his initial tests involved copper plates, he says any conductive metal would do, including cheaper aluminum.
In initial testing, the amount of power produced was vanishingly small — just 15 picowatts, or trillionths of a watt, per square centimeter of metal plate. But Miljkovic says the process could easily be tuned to achieve at least 1 microwatt, or millionth of a watt, per square centimeter. Such output would be comparable to that of other systems that have been proposed for harvesting waste heat, vibrations, or other sources of ambient energy, and represents an amount that could be sufficient to provide useful power for electronic devices in some remote locations.
The Latest on: Ambient energy sources
via Google News
The Latest on: Ambient energy sources
- At EPA Hearing in Denver, EDF Joins Calls to Protect Coloradans from Smogon September 6, 2019 at 11:04 am
EPA is proposing to reclassify the Denver metro area as a “serious” non-attainment area under the 2008 National Ambient Air ... “Major sources of industrial pollution, including emissions from oil and ...
- The Rock That Vibrates in Time With Earth, Wind, and Waveson September 2, 2019 at 3:00 am
"Because nothing is truly static, there is always energy propagating throughout the earth, which serves as a constant vibration source for the rock ... That's what makes this new data set of ambient ...
- Week 136: Trump Gives a Pass to One of the Nation’s Worst Polluterson August 30, 2019 at 9:33 am
Concentrations of the pollutant, which inhibits lung function and contributes to heart disease, were in some cases double the levels prescribed by the National Ambient Air Quality ... owner’s parent ...
- Energy Harvesting Market to Make Great Impact in Near Future by 2020on August 29, 2019 at 3:43 am
... energy crises without altering the existing energy sources, is foreseen to witness staggering demand and innovation in the near future. The process of energy harvesting harnesses the power of ...
- Non-Contact Universal Sample Presentation for Room Temperature Macromolecular Crystallography Using Acoustic Levitationon August 27, 2019 at 2:10 am
The suspension of such droplets against gravity using this system requires little energy and thus imparts no significant ... for deployment on other high intensity X-ray sources operating in ambient ...
- Appeals Court Upholds Obama-Era Ozone Standardon August 23, 2019 at 1:17 pm
A three-judge panel had upheld changes to the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS ... appellate court challenging EPA's proposed changes in the case Murray Energy Corp. v. EPA; No. 15-1385.
- How ambient energy could power the internet of thingson August 9, 2019 at 7:02 am
and designers are finding new ways to draw it from ambient sources rather than rely on batteries or hard-wired grid connections. This week Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), the newsmagazine of the ...
- Tiny Mini-Generators Scavenge Energy From Ambient, Random Vibrationson March 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Finding large-scale sources of kinetic energy to turn turbines isn't easy ... over other kinetic energy harvesters because they can scavenge the arbitrary, ambient, non-repeatable vibrations that are ...
- Waterproof fabric harvests energy from raindropson March 19, 2019 at 7:36 am
The development could lead to myriad applications in wearable technology, self-powered sensors and ambient energy harvesting ... and its elastic features enable it to collect energy from multiple ...
- Wiliot nabs $30M from Amazon, Avery Dennison, Samsung for a chip that runs on power from ambient radio frequencieson January 14, 2019 at 3:46 am
Today, a startup called Wiliot, which makes semiconductors that harness ambient nanowatts of electromagnetic energy from cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth networks to work without batteries or other ...
via Bing News