How a Tiny “Bug” Can Stop Cancer in its Tracks as a Vaccine
Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii) is a single-celled parasite that is happiest in a cat’s intestines, but it can live in any warm blooded animal. Found worldwide, T. gondii affects about one-third of the world’s population, 60 million of which are Americans. Most people have no symptoms, but some experience a flu-like illness. Those with suppressed immune systems, however, can develop a serious infection if they are unable to fend off T. gondii.
An Anti-Cancer Agent in Nature?
A healthy immune system responds vigorously to T. gondii in a manner that parallels how the immune system attacks a tumor.
“We know biologically this parasite has figured out how to stimulate the exact immune responses you want to fight cancer,” said David J. Bzik, PhD, professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth.
In response to T. gondii, the body produces natural killer cells and cytotoxic T cells. These cell types wage war against cancer cells. Cancer can shut down the body’s defensive mechanisms, but introducing T. gondii into a tumor environment can jump start the immune system.
The Latest on: Cancer immunotherapy
via Google News
The Latest on: Cancer immunotherapy
- World Cancer Day: New study into hard-to-treat cancerson February 4, 2020 at 2:39 am
Dr Richard Turkington, oncologist and cancer researcher at Queen's, who is leading the research, said the "pioneering" new project aims to determine how immunotherapy can successfully treat pancreatic ...
- Improved Cancer Immunotherapy Predicted Through Math Modelson February 3, 2020 at 12:32 pm
can predict how tumors may respond to immunotherapy, and how adding other anti-cancer drugs could lead to improved treatment. ‘The identification of tumor perfusion as key to the efficacy of ...
- Cold plasma patch could make immunotherapy more effective for treating melanomaon February 3, 2020 at 12:04 pm
"Immunotherapy is one of the most groundbreaking advances in cancer treatment," said study senior author Zhen Gu, professor of bioengineering at the UCLA Samueli School of Engineering and member of ...
- Math models add up to improved cancer immunotherapyon February 3, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Immune checkpoint inhibitors such as Keytruda (pembrolizumab) and Opdivo (nivolumab) have greatly improved treatment for more than a dozen malignancies, including non-small cell lung cancer, kidney ...
- Cancer Immunotherapy Market 2020 Clinical Survey Report – Roche, Bayer, Eli Lilly, Merck, Novartison February 1, 2020 at 12:39 am
The Cancer Immunotherapy Market report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants ...
- Enhancing cancer immunotherapy with nanomedicineon January 31, 2020 at 5:49 am
Therapeutic targeting of the immune system in cancer is now a clinical reality and marked successes have been achieved, most notably through the use of checkpoint blockade antibodies and chimeric ...
- Cancer Immunotherapy Market is Expected to Garner Higher Revenues between 2020-2025on January 30, 2020 at 9:55 am
New York, January 30, 2020: The report covers detailed competitive outlook including the market share and company profiles of the key participants operating in the global market. Key players profiled ...
- Immunotherapy called ‘the future of cancer care,’ but not without risks, costs: Health Matterson January 30, 2020 at 8:27 am
Q: What is immunotherapy, and what kinds of cancer can it treat? A: Immunotherapy is a cancer treatment that activates a patient’s immune system to identify and destroy diseases such as cancer.
- Cancer Immunotherapy Market Size to Hit US$ 115.4 Bn by 2026on January 30, 2020 at 7:38 am
The global cancer immunotherapy market is expected to grow at a noteworthy CAGR of around 10.6% during the forecast period 2019 to 2026 LOS ANGELES, Jan. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The Cancer ...
- Global cancer immunotherapy market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 15.12% over the forecast period from 2019-2025on January 28, 2020 at 9:20 am
The report on the global cancer immunotherapy market provides qualitative and quantitative analysis for the period from 2017 to 2025. The report predicts the global cancer immunotherapy market to grow ...
via Bing News