So much soot belched from the old power plant here that Mike Zeleny would personally warn the neighbors.
“If the wind was blowing in a certain direction,” Mr. Zeleny said, “we’d call Mrs. Robinson down the street and tell her not to put out her laundry.”
That coal plant is long gone, replaced by a much larger and cleaner one along the vast Saskatchewan prairie. Sooty shirts and socks are a thing of the past.
But as with even the most modern coal plants, its smokestacks still emit enormous amounts of carbon dioxide, the invisible heat-trapping gas that is the main contributor to global warming. So this fall, a gleaming new maze of pipes and tanks — topped with what looks like the Tin Man’s hat — will suck up 90 percent of the carbon dioxide from one of the boilers so it can be shipped out for burial, deep underground.
If there is any hope of staving off the worst effects of climate change, many scientists say, this must be part of it — capturing the carbon that spews from power plants and locking it away, permanently. For now, they contend, the world is too dependent on fossil fuels to do anything less.
If all goes as planned, the effort in Saskatchewan will be the first major one of its kind at a power plant, the equivalent of taking about 250,000 cars off the road. And at least in theory, that carbon dioxide will be kept out of the atmosphere forever.
The Latest on: Carbon capture
via Google News
The Latest on: Carbon capture
- Species-rich forests offer stable carbon captureon January 11, 2020 at 5:24 am
The paper published in Environmental Research Letters adds that the rate of carbon capture was more stable across years in forests than in plantations, and carbon capture by forests was more resilient ...
- The 10 Biggest Carbon-dioxide Emitting Firms In The Worldon January 10, 2020 at 5:36 am
The company has also stated that it has spent over US$ 1 billion on carbon capture and storage projects in Canada and Australia. The facilities are expected to cut greenhouse emissions by 5.5 million ...
- Study questions benefits of spending on carbon captureon January 8, 2020 at 7:11 am
An analysis of emissions data from two carbon capture facilities suggests that the technologies reduce carbon dioxide emissions less than previously assumed by climate models, and overall are less ...
- Carbon Capture and Storage Market Rewriting it's Growth Cycleon January 7, 2020 at 3:03 am
Global Carbon Capture and Storage Market Data Survey Report 2015-2025 is latest research study released by HTF MI evaluating the market, highlighting opportunities, risk side analysis, and leveraged ...
- Oxy Petroleum, Total to partner on Colorado carbon capture projecton January 6, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Occidental Petroleum (OXY +2.5%) says it is partnering with France's Total (TOT +1.6%) on a major carbon capture project, as it continues its carbon work perfected in the Permian Basin.
- Oxy, Total partner on carbon capture project in Coloradoon January 6, 2020 at 6:43 am
Occidental Petroleum and the French energy major Total said they are partnering on a major carbon-capture project at an industrial cement plant in the United States. The project would target capturing ...
- BRIEF-Svante, Lafargeholcim, Oxy Low Carbon Ventures, Total Launch Study For Commercial-Scale Carbon Captureon January 6, 2020 at 6:00 am
Total SA: * SVANTE, LAFARGEHOLCIM, OXY LOW CARBON VENTURES AND TOTAL LAUNCH STUDY FOR COMMERCIAL-SCALE CARBON CAPTURE AND END-USE AT U.S. PLANT * TOTAL SA - STUDY WILL EVALUATE COST OF FACILITY ...
- Svante, LafargeHolcim, Oxy Low Carbon Ventures and Total Launch Study for Commercial-Scale Carbon Capture and End-Use at U.S. Planton January 6, 2020 at 5:54 am
LSE:TTA) (NYSE:TOT) today announced a joint study to assess the viability and design of a commercial-scale carbon-capture facility at the Holcim Portland Cement Plant in Florence, Colorado, U.S. The ...
- Biodiverse forests better at storing carbon for long periods, says studyon January 6, 2020 at 5:50 am
As the effects of climate change are increasingly felt around the world, possible solutions—from reducing fossil fuel emissions to capturing carbon—have come to dominate policy discussions. Planting ...
- Carbon Capture And Storage Market Trends, Opportunities & Growth Forecast during - 2020-2026on January 5, 2020 at 11:14 pm
The report presents an in-depth assessment of the Global Carbon Capture And Storage including enabling technologies, key trends, market drivers, challenges, standardization, regulatory landscape, ...
via Bing News