The Obama administration’s embrace of targeted killings using armed drones risks putting the United States on a “slippery slope” into perpetual war and sets a dangerous precedent for lethal operations that other countries might adopt in the future, according to a report by a bipartisan panel that includes several former senior intelligence and military officials.
The group found that more than a decade into the era of armed drones, the American government has yet to carry out a thorough analysis of whether the costs of routine secret killing operations outweigh the benefits. The report urges the administration to conduct such an analysis and to give a public accounting of both militants and civilians killed in drone strikes.
The findings amount to a sort of report card — one that delivers middling grades — a year after President Obama gave a speech promising new guidelines for drone strikes and greater transparency about the killing operations. The report is especially critical of the secrecy that continues to envelop drone operations and questions whether they might be creating terrorists even as they are killing them.
The Latest on: Use of Drones
via Google News
The Latest on: Use of Drones
- State-by-state breakdown of coronavirus travel restrictionson December 1, 2020 at 8:18 am
Guidance on traveling and travel restrictions varies across the United States as the country faces new surges in Covid-19 cases. The patchwork of restrictions between regions highlights the ability of ...
- VIDEO: President Barack Obama Reflects on the Drone Program on THE LATE SHOW WITH STEPHEN COLBERTon December 1, 2020 at 6:55 am
President Obama describes the decision-making process behind his administration's use of drone strikes and why he ultimately had to reform the system. Barack Obama's new memoir "A Promised Land" is ...
- DJI Counts More Than 500 People Rescued By Drones Around The Worldon December 1, 2020 at 5:00 am
More than 500 people around the world have been rescued from danger by drones, according to new statistics collected by DJI, the world's leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology. This ...
- We need a new international accord to control drone proliferationon December 1, 2020 at 3:03 am
The Missile Technology Control Regime has not prevented the proliferation of armed drones. The Trump administration’s interpretation of it made things even worse. Will Biden change course?
- Fire Technology: Hazmat Response—Drones Are a Necessityon December 1, 2020 at 2:11 am
Charles Werner explains how flying drones at a hazmat incident provides information that might not be otherwise available quickly, if at all.
- Did GMA Network ask for ‘free footages’ of the Cagayan flooding from a drone operator?on December 1, 2020 at 12:40 am
On Twitter, award-winning photographer Ezra Acayan revealed how GMA News and Public Affairs and The Atom Araullo Specials (TAAS) asked a drone operator to ‘waive the fees’ for his footage. He shared a ...
- Small Drone Market to Reach USD 35,009.4 Million by 2027; Backed by Increasing Military Expenditure Worldwide, Says Fortune Business Insights(TM)on November 30, 2020 at 8:57 pm
The global small drone market size is expected to reach USD 35,009.4 million by 2027 while exhibiting a staggering 24.11% CAGR between 2020 and 2027. This is attributable to the increasing incidence ...
- Drones Have Raised the Odds and Risks of Small Warson November 30, 2020 at 7:14 am
That UAVs can play such a visible part in modern wars is a big part of their appeal. As Ulrike Franke of the European Council on Foreign Relations, whose area of expertise includes drone warfare, ...
- Frank Wang Net Worth: Founder Of Drone Company DJI Is Worth $4.8 Billionon November 30, 2020 at 3:28 am
Frank Wang, the founder and CEO of technology company DJI, is worth almost $5 billion. His company has sold hundreds of thousands of drones.
- Drone Defense System Market Size- Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027on November 29, 2020 at 11:54 pm
Selbyville, Delaware Global Drone Defense System Market Report added at Market Study Report LLC offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2027. Drone Defense System ...
via Bing News