Mahmoudian’s AUVs, named ROUGHIEs (for Research Oriented Underwater Gliders for Hands-on Investigative Engineering) will be underwater gliders.
Powered only by batteries, they will “fly” slowly through the water simply by adjusting their buoyancy and weight. This will make them safer and more reliable in shallow waters, where a propeller could become tangled in vegetation or cause injury.
That’s important, because the ROUGHIEs will not be exploring the middle of the ocean; they are designed for use near the water’s edge, which offers a special challenge.
“They come up on the coast, where there’s lots of noise, and we want ours to be able to talk with each other, and perhaps to a mother ship, in any environment,” she said. “That means they’ll have to operate in an area with lots of boats, swimmers and the like.”
Her ROUGHIEs offer additional advantages. They will be modular, allowing users to swap out different components depending on what tasks the drones undertake. And they will cost a fraction of the price of a commercial model to build. That makes them ideal for the trial-and-error process inherent in scientific research.
Underwater gliders and other types of AUVs already play an important role in addressing some of today’s most pressing environmental, safety and biological challenges. Their uses range from detecting dangerous contaminants, like oil spills, to retrieving evidence of climate change. By arming them with smarter software, they would become even better at doing their jobs, including searching an ocean’s depths.
“We need solutions for these cases,” Mahmoudian said. “The disappearance of the Malaysian aircraft is a clear example of why we must do this.”
The Latest on: Underwater Drones
via Google News
The Latest on: Underwater Drones
- Yes, the Military Does Want Flying and Underwater Drone Carrierson December 5, 2020 at 1:15 am
These drone motherships could control whole swarms of armed robots. Key point: Smaller and more powerful drones are becoming a realty. Here is how they may be ferried into combat and control from a ...
- Underwater Drone Faces Trial By Wateron December 3, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Underwater Remote Operated Vehicles, or ROVs as they’re typically known, generally operate by tether. This is due to the poor propagation of radio waves underwater. [Simon] wanted to build ...
- SRV-8 ROV looks good, goes deepon December 3, 2020 at 10:14 am
While consumer-oriented underwater drones are becoming increasingly popular, better-equipped ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) are still the weapon of choice for industrial applications. One of the ...
- Is the iPhone 12 waterproof? We took it for a swim to test its water resistanceon December 3, 2020 at 8:30 am
Apple's iPhone 12 put up a good fight after being submerged in the chilly waters of Lake Tahoe. We know the iPhone 12 can handle spills and splashes, but Apple may be downplaying just how ...
- Smart Algae. Underwater Drones. An Internet for Mars. How Hypergiant Is Inventing for the Future.on December 3, 2020 at 5:00 am
It's not easy to build the stuff for tomorrow when you also have to run a sustainable business today. Inside the crazy world of Hypergiant, an ambitious company that's figuring it out.
- iPhone 12 water test: We tested it way beyond the claimon December 2, 2020 at 4:26 pm
How water-resistant is the iPhone 12? Our highly unscientific test would suggest that the iPhone 12 can withstand very deep water and clearly meets the IP68 claim. But, like all e ...
- How do you design an underwater scooter? Easy, start with a droneon November 25, 2020 at 6:39 am
The Geneinno S2 is an underwater scooter that'll help you be free when in the sea — and we spoke to the company about how it designed it.
- Check Out These Navy Special Operators Deploying An Underwater Scout Droneon November 20, 2020 at 12:13 pm
Stealthy special operations boats, such as the Navy's CCMs, would be important tools to support any of those activities, but the use of underwater drones, such as the Ivers, would offer additional ...
- Rescue squad gets new underwater drone for searches and recoverieson November 19, 2020 at 3:07 pm
MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WAFF) - The Morgan County Rescue Squad has a new underwater drone and they’re one of the only north Alabama teams to have this kind of equipment. ”There’s a risk anytime you put a ...
- This Drone Dives Up to 574 Feet Underwater, Features Sony Sensoron November 17, 2020 at 2:17 pm
So where do drones go next? What about underwater? Underwater robotics company Geneinno recently announced its second underwater remote operated vehicle (ROV), the T1 Pro. Designed for more ...
via Bing News