The modern image of Detroit is of a city that’s falling apart. But it’s easy to forget how quickly it’s happening before our eyes.
Earlier this year, hundreds of workers drove down Detroit streets block by block, mapping out every abandoned home, decaying factory, and trash-filled vacant lot. They counted nearly 85,000 blighted parcels; just tearing the buildings down will cost $2 billion.
Thanks to an unending public appetite for ruin porn, these numbers aren’t necessarily surprising. The modern image of Detroit is of a city that’s falling apart. But it’s easy to forget how quickly things have changed. One Detroiter decided to turn to Google Street View and Bing Maps to show how blocks keep evolving in the GooBing Detroit Tumblr, with side-by-side views of the same street in different years.
The Latest on: Urban decay
via Google News
The Latest on: Urban decay
- Leaked communications reveal L'Oreal employees resent returning to the office as similar companies remain closedon August 5, 2020 at 2:51 pm
"Rushing to return employees to work is dangerous for both physical and mental health," one L'Oreal employee wrote in an internal communications portal.
- This season's most hyped mascaras go head-to-headon August 5, 2020 at 10:11 am
It's been a bumper summer for mascaras with blockbuster launches from Urban Decay and Hourglass. MUA Lisa Potter Dixon sends them into battle. This year has been the summer of mas ...
- Geraldo Rivera: Keep cops, defund abuseon August 5, 2020 at 5:04 am
The state and city built by sturdy German and Nordic immigrants is now almost 20% Black and poor, many fleeing the urban decay and violence of Gary, Ind., and South Chicago. Latinos make up another 10 ...
- What ruin photography reveals about urban decay and renewalon August 3, 2020 at 6:09 pm
There’s something intriguing about an abandoned building. If you scroll through Instagram, you’ll come across photos that celebrate this very aesthetic.
- We Paid For This Town”: The Legacy of Chicanx Punk in LAon August 3, 2020 at 6:12 am
In the 1970s and ’80s, the Bags, Vaginal Davis, Nervous Gender, and Los Illegals used music and performance to express their dissent of racism and gender violence, imagining punk as a possible utopia.
- Barry Urban claims press 'ridicule' impeded his right to a fair trialon August 2, 2020 at 9:09 pm
Former Labor MP Barry Urban wants his fraud trial to be heard by a judge alone due to past publicity painting him as a liar and destroying his credibility.
- Urban Renewal Meant Negro Removalon July 29, 2020 at 5:51 pm
While Black Americans were just 13 percent of the total population in 1960, they comprised at least 55 percent of those displaced.
- Kingdom: New Lands Developer Announces Cloud Gardenson July 29, 2020 at 10:38 am
Cloud Gardens is a game about cultivating seeds to overgrow a post-industrial wasteland. It was announced today by Thomas van den Berg and his small studio Noio, known for developing the IGF-nominated ...
- Kingdom dev's Cloud Gardens is a chill game about growing plants to beautify urban decayon July 28, 2020 at 3:32 pm
New Lands developer Noio has unveiled Cloud Gardens, a "chill game" about cultivating plants and helping nature take root across gorgeous little dioramas of urban decay. "By planting seeds in the ...
- Seattle’s progressive prescription for rapid urban decayon July 26, 2020 at 6:17 am
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray vowed that his city would “shine a light and offer a different vision.” He envisioned a Seattle where all 4-year-olds attended preschool, where all ...
via Bing News