“Solar energy systems can satisfy much more of our hunger for electricity, at not much more cost than what we currently have,”
Concentrating solar power (CSP) could supply a large fraction of the power supply in a decarbonized energy system, shows a new study of the technology and its potential practical application.
Concentrating solar power (CSP) could supply a substantial amount of current energy demand, according to the study published in the journal Nature Climate Change. In the Mediterranean region, for example, the study shows that a connected CSP system could provide 70-80% of current electricity demand, at no extra cost compared to gas-fired power plants. That percentage is similar to what a standard energy production plant, such as a nuclear plant, can provide.
“Solar energy systems can satisfy much more of our hunger for electricity, at not much more cost than what we currently have,” says Stefan Pfenninger, who led the study while working at IIASA. He is now a Research Postgraduate at the Grantham Institute at Imperial College London.
The study was the first to examine the potential of CSP as a large-scale energy production system, in four regions around the world. “In order to address climate change we need to greatly expand our use of renewable energy systems,” says IIASA researcher Fabian Wagner, who also worked on the study. “The key question, though, is how much energy renewable systems can actually deliver.”
The Latest on: Concentrating solar power
via Google News
The Latest on: Concentrating solar power
- Shanghai Electric Dubai MSR Completes World's Tallest Tower Top Receiver in Record Timeon June 24, 2020 at 6:44 am
Shanghai Electric (SHA:601727) announced today that it has completed the Molten Salt Receiver (MSR) tower top receiver in Dubai's DEWA IV phase 700MW Concentrating Solar Power and 250MW Photovoltaic ...
- Solar Trackers Market May Set New Growth Story | Array Technologies, First Solar, Sun Poweron June 24, 2020 at 3:26 am
HTF MI Analyst have added a new research study on Title Solar Trackers Market Research: Global Status & Forecast by Geography, Type & Application (2016-2026) with detailed information of Product Types ...
- Dubai’s massive Solar Park project ads new instalments to world’s tallest solar power toweron June 23, 2020 at 10:16 pm
Dubai’s Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park has reached new developments, adding a Molten Salt Receiver to the world’s tallest solar power tower. The largest single-site solar park in Dubai ...
- Low Iron Glass for Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) Market Data Breakdown with Revenue and Gross Profit Analysis 2020-2026on June 22, 2020 at 10:20 pm
The Global Low Iron Glass for Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) Market report analysts offer an in-depth analysis provides a Porters five force model, SWOT analysis, and PESTEL analysis of the Low Iron ...
- Why the World's Most Advanced Solar Plants Are Failingon June 22, 2020 at 8:54 pm
The government’s leading laboratory for renewable energy has released a new report detailing the strengths and flaws of concentrated solar energy. The National Renewable Energy ...
- Spurring Growth Ahead for Solar Energy Market 2020 Report with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Forecast to 2026on June 18, 2020 at 11:55 pm
A market research firm Facts & Factors (FnF) published a market research report on “Solar Energy Market – By Technology (Photovoltaic Systems, Concentrated Solar Power System (Parabolic Trough, Solar ...
- Futuristic Solar Plants Plagued by Glitches, Poor Trainingon June 17, 2020 at 12:00 pm
The sprawling facilities with mirrors arrayed in the shape of large circles are referred to as concentrating solar power (CSP) projects. Their mirrors and lenses capture high temperatures needed to ...
- Dubai commissions world’s tallest solar power toweron June 15, 2020 at 12:46 am
The lifting and installation of the Molten Salt Receiver (MSR) on top of the world’s tallest solar power tower is complete.
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Comprehensive Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2026on June 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The Global Concentrating Solar Power Market Research Report 2020-2026 is a valuable source of insightful data for business strategists. It provides the industry overview with growth analysis and ...
- Dubai to build world's largest concentrated solar power projecton June 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Dubai Water and Electricity Authority (DEWA) has launched the world’s largest concentrated solar power (CSP) project which will generate 1000MW of power when completed, it announced on Thursday.
via Bing News