Researchers from North Carolina State University and the University of Eastern Finland have developed new “sensing skin” technology designed to serve as an early warning system for concrete structures, allowing authorities to respond quickly to damage in everything from nuclear facilities to bridges.
“The idea is to identify problems quickly so that they can be addressed before they become big problems and – in the case of some critical infrastructure – so that public safety measures can be implemented,” Pour-Ghaz says.
The skin is an electrically conductive coat of paint that can be applied to new or existing structures. The paint can incorporate any number of conductive materials, such as copper, making it relatively inexpensive.
Electrodes are applied around the perimeter of a structure. The sensing skin is then painted onto the structure, over the electrodes. A computer program then runs a small current between two of the electrodes at a time, cycling through a number of possible electrode combinations.
Every time the current runs between two electrodes, a computer monitors and records the electrical potential at all of the electrodes on the structure. This data is then used to calculate the sensing skin’s spatially distributed electrical conductivity. If the skin’s conductivity decreases, that means the structure has cracked or been otherwise damaged.
The Latest on: Sensing Skin
via Google News
The Latest on: Sensing Skin
- This spray-on nanofiber ‘skin’ may revolutionize burn and wound careon July 6, 2019 at 12:06 pm
All one needs to do is aim, squeeze the two triggers, and fire off an electrospun polymer material that attaches to the skin. The Nanomedic spray method avoids any need to come into direct contact ... […]
- A sense of pride: the London LGBT+ pioneerson July 6, 2019 at 5:36 am
As singer and songwriter for Skunk Anansie, Skin led the seemingly most marginal of heavy rock ... She isn’t landed gentry in the received sense, but she is in its spiritual currency. Lady Phyll is ... […]
- Making Sense of The MeKon July 4, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Quite simply, the MeK believes that, after forty years of active resistance, it has more “skin in the game” than any other personality or faction in the struggle against the Islamic Republic. ... […]
- 9 habits of cyclists that make no senseon July 4, 2019 at 11:18 am
Wanting sharp tan lines makes no sense. It certainly doesn’t look good to have pale white skin starkly contrasted with a glowing tan. While it certainly shows you are pretty serious about your ... […]
- Skin bleaching is a symptom of deeper psychological issueson July 2, 2019 at 10:06 pm
The matter of skin bleaching has occupied attention in Jamaica for some ... rehabilitation simply to please a present or potential suitor. It just does not make sense. You must do it only if you want ... […]
- World UFO Day: The 10 best alien films, from ET: The Extra-Terrestrial to Under the Skinon July 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
So, it makes sense that we instead have World UFO Day, an annual reminder that space continues to hold infinite mystery and serve as a source of endless inspiration for many of our most inventive ... […]
- K2K sisters invoke sense of freedom with new fashion collectionon July 1, 2019 at 5:05 pm
“The wardrobe pieces, therefore, are crafted to enhance that sense of freedom ... At NORMI we strive to say, ‘I’m beautiful in my skin’ and my imperfections make me perfect. ... […]
- This DHC Urumai Lotion Review Proves How Easy It Is To Achieve The J-Beauty "Mochi Skin" Trendon July 1, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Sorry in advance. DHC Skincare is an absolute Japanese beauty titan, so it makes sense that their new drops are always up-to-date when it comes to the latest skincare fads. Last year, the K-beauty ... […]
- Sonam Kapoor reveals her 'beauty secret', skin care routine and make-up trickson June 29, 2019 at 7:19 am
Sonam Kapoor is undeniably the god of great fashion and style sense. As the actress carries herself with great ... Revealing much about her skin care routine she said, Victamin C, Water and Sunblock ... […]
- The Laser Skin Center Medical Spa Receives "Top Medical Spa East" in the 2019 Aesthetic Everything® Aesthetic and Cosmetic Medicine Awardson June 25, 2019 at 5:18 pm
"The Laser Skin Center's Team and I are honored to receive ... who has selflessly brought her own professionalism, vision and sense of style to the Med Spa over the laser 18 plus years. ... […]
via Bing News