Quirky, a start-up that now fields 4,000 new product ideas a week, picks three winners and then takes over all aspects of production, from making blueprints to marketing the goods through big-box retailers like Home Depot and retail websites, including Amazon
The repurposed red brick warehouse in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood is a bustling hub of modern industrial activity. Skilled young workers are hunched over pristine machine tools and 3-D printers that churn out prototype products.
This is the home of Quirky, a start-up that now fields 4,000 new product ideas a week, picks three winners and then takes over all aspects of production, from making blueprints to marketing the goods through big-box retailers like Home Depot and retail websites, including Amazon.
Most of Quirky’s top-selling products have been inventive, stand-alone devices — like a power strip that pivots so a plug never blocks an adjacent socket, and a plastic stem that inserts into a lemon or lime and becomes a push-button citrus spritzer.
Yet increasingly, the ideas coming into Quirky — about one in four — are for home products that can communicate with a smartphone or a household Wi-Fi network. These are ideas pursuing the much-promoted vision of the smart home, or the consumer Internet of things.
The vision has been around for years, but the reality has remained elusive. “The Internet of things is still for hackers, early adopters and rich people,” said Ben Kaufman, Quirky’s 27-year-old founder and chief executive.
But Quirky, like others, thinks that is about to change. The company will lead an ambitious effort, beginning next month, to accelerate the adoption of smart-home products. It is setting up a separate company, Wink, whose main technology is software intended to be the equivalent of an open operating system, helping to seamlessly connect all kinds of automated home devices.
The Latest on: Quirky
via Google News
The Latest on: Quirky
- Bride’s quirky white and red wedding dress is cruelly compared to ‘an inflated tampon’on July 6, 2019 at 7:46 am
A BRIDE'S wedding dress has been cruelly slammed as looking like an "inflated tampon". People in a Facebook group also compared the white gown - which featured a pink and red skirt - to "one of those ... […]
- HBO Europe Orders Quirky Norwegian Comedy ‘Wilderness’ From ‘Cold Pursuit’ Writer Kim Fupz Aakesonon July 5, 2019 at 1:54 am
Kim Fupz Aakeson, writer of Liam Neeson feature Cold Pursuit, has created a quirky Norwegian comedy for HBO Europe. The premium broadcaster has commissioned eight-part series Utmark/Wilderness, which ... […]
- Chun Woo Hee, Jeon Yeo Bin, And Han Ji Eun Are Classy Yet Quirky In “Melo Is My Nature” Posteron July 4, 2019 at 1:36 am
JTBC’s upcoming drama “Melo Is My Nature” has revealed its official poster! “Melo Is My Nature” is about the concerns, romances, and daily lives of three women in their 30s who end up living under the ... […]
- Wyrd tales: Quirky Shakespeare shows shake up Brooklynon July 4, 2019 at 12:28 am
Something wacky this way comes! Several unorthodox versions of Shakespeare’s plays will grace the stages, parks, clubs, and spas of Brooklyn this summer! These off-beat productions will put a modern ... […]
- Put a spin on Fourth of July with these fun, quirky ways to celebrateon July 3, 2019 at 9:16 pm
It makes total sense why you're sick and tired of them, so take a breath. You're not alone. And this Fourth of July, you don't need to subject yourself to their horrors, because there are like a dozen ... […]
- Quirky residents make small-town living specialon July 3, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Growing up in a small town, you may be exposed to all sorts of peculiar folks, to the point that your children don't believe your stories. (Photo: Larry McCormack / The Tennessean) Living in a small ... […]
- ‘Quirky’ Dover farmhouse is a certified wildlife habitat: Cool Spaceson July 3, 2019 at 2:01 am
When Bob and Josephine Alexander moved into their farmhouse in Dover, Pa., 14 years ago, the place needed some sprucing up. “When we arrived, the place, inside and out, was a mess,” Josephine ... […]
- Cool Offices: Creative agency's circular space includes quirky featureson July 2, 2019 at 3:00 am
While this is not Ultra Creative Inc.'s first office with bumper cars — six are scattered around the 19,500-square-foot space and sometimes used for meetings — it is its first circular office. The ... […]
- Nearly two thirds fail test on ‘quirky’ facts about Canadaon July 1, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Nearly two thirds of Canadians failed a survey about quirky facts about this country. Nigel Newlove with some of the tidbits on the test that might surprise you. ... […]
- Today's quirky news: Police arrest man accused of stealing 26 street signson July 1, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Check back here for the latest oddball stories that just may give you a chuckle or leave you scratching your head. ... […]
via Bing News