Sci-fi authors and gamers have long imagined this day, and now it has come: The U.S. military is developing a laser weapon to shoot enemy drones out of the sky.
The Navy has already developed such a weapon that it plans to deploy on a ship later this summer. The Office of Naval Research (ONR), based in Arlington, Virginia, announced this week that they are now interested in developing a similarlaser weapon for ground vehicles.
The somewhat ominously named GBAD program (short for Ground-Based Air Defense Directed Energy On-the-Move) aims to provide “an affordable alternative to traditional firepower” to guard against unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that could track or target U.S. Marines on the ground, ONR officials said.
The Latest on: Laser Weapons
via Google News
The Latest on: Laser Weapons
- Smart weapons Market Top key players and Forecasts 2016-2022on January 28, 2020 at 12:38 am
Smart weapons are those guided weapons that can strike a target with high precision even if it is mobile or stationary. The targets can be located with the help of guidance systems such as lasers, ...
- Could the Army One Day Use Lasers to Take out Enemy Cruise Missiles?on January 25, 2020 at 3:11 am
After decades of being confined to experimental prototypes and Star Wars movies, laser weapons today are on the verge of entering wide-scale service, whether in the hands of infantry, mounted on ...
- The best laser sighton January 22, 2020 at 8:02 am
We've been assessing the latest models and have put together a concise guide, including some product recommendations at the end, that will help you decide the right one for your weapon. Our favorite, ...
- Global Military Laser Rangefinder Market 2020 Analysis, Revenue, Price, Market Share, Growth Rate, Forecast To 2027on January 21, 2020 at 1:18 am
Military Laser Rangefinder Market 2019-2027 global research report gives accurate information about market share, growth, trends, revenue, technology innovation, demand factors, regional scope as well ...
- Will U.S. Navy Submarines Be Armed With Laser Weapons?on January 17, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Will U.S. Navy submarines be armed with laser weapons? That’s the implication of a new Navy research project. At first glance, the project seems fairly routine engineering: developing connectors that ...
- How realistic is Israel’s tactical laser ‘breakthrough’?on January 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
See the U.S. Navy test a laser weapon for use against threats big and small. Iron Dome, for example, can launch a number of interceptors simultaneously, sending each one to a different target. A ...
- How 'death ray' laser weapons could lead to a new era in warfareon January 17, 2020 at 3:03 am
When the Israeli military unveiled its new laser weapon system to the world last week, it did so with a video designed to show off its terrifying precision. In a computer generated warscape, hostile ...
- Boeing's New Laser Weapon Targets 100+ UAVs And Engages Them All In Testson January 16, 2020 at 9:20 am
The aerospace giant has continued to make great progress in the pursuit of laser weapons to be used to defend against drone attacks.
- Surface Navy 2020: Boeing promotes its Compact Laser Weapon System for US Navy useon January 16, 2020 at 8:11 am
Boeing is offering its Compact Laser Weapon System to the US Navy The weapon comes in both 2 and 5 kW configurations Boeing is promoting its Compact Laser Weapon System (CLWS) at the 2020 National ...
- US Navy to Install Laser Weapon on Littoral Combat Shipon January 15, 2020 at 4:13 pm
The Freedom-class littoral combat ship (LCS) USS Little Rock (LCS-9) will get a new laser weapon system during an upcoming deployment some time later this year, according to the Commander of U.S.
via Bing News