“By tuning the sound waves, we can create any pattern we want on the surface of a microchip,”
In a breakthrough discovery, researchers at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, have harnessed the power of sound waves to enable precision micro- and nano-manufacturing.
The researchers have demonstrated how high-frequency sound waves can be used to precisely control the spread of thin film fluid along a specially-designed chip, in a paper published today in Proceedings of the Royal Society A.
With thin film technology the bedrock of microchip and microstructure manufacturing, the pioneering research offers a significant advance – potential applications range from thin film coatings for paint and wound care to 3D printing, micro-casting and micro-fluidics.
Professor James Friend, Director of the MicroNano Research Facility at RMIT, said the researchers had developed a portable system for precise, fast and unconventional micro- and nano-fabrication.
“By tuning the sound waves, we can create any pattern we want on the surface of a microchip,” Professor Friend said.
The Latest on: Micro-manufacturing
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro-manufacturing
- The Need for Maintaining Nuclear Air-Cleaning Systems Properly to Protect Public Health and Safetyon January 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
In fact, he points out that similar standards are in place to protect air filtration systems used for contamination control for clean-room technology, micro-manufacturing, and pharmaceuticals. For ...
- Sausalito general plan update taking shapeon January 21, 2020 at 4:30 pm
As the city advances toward its new blueprint, some officials are concerned the process is accelerating too quickly.
- Accumold showcases micro molding service at MD&M Weston January 6, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Our over 30-year association with micro molding and micro-manufacturing really gives us the edge, and we are not only the most experienced micro molder in the world but also the largest. This affords ...
- The Coolest Tiny Home in Every Stateon October 24, 2019 at 10:17 pm
B & B Micro Manufacturing has created a tiny house that is closer to a high-end RV than a tiny home. This model, “The Arcadia,” includes three skylights and a reclaimed barn wood ceiling.
- Sverica Capital Management Announces Recapitalization of Resonetics With GTCRon February 1, 2018 at 12:00 am
Founded in 1987 and headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, Resonetics is a leading medical device contract manufacturing organization (“CMO”), specializing in laser micro-manufacturing for ...
- CEL Robox 3D Printers Offer User-Friendly Micro-Manufacturing Platformon October 4, 2016 at 8:52 am
Set up as a ‘micro-manufacturing platform’, FFF 3D printers from Robox offer as much simplicity or customization as a user could want. “Everyone from my five-year-old boy to an advanced ...
- UC Davis joins national research effort to build faster microchips using lighton July 30, 2015 at 11:13 pm
The UC Davis Center for Nano and Micro Manufacturing, a 10,000-square-foot clean room fully stocked with equipment in Kemper Hall, will play a large role for the institute on the West Coast ...
- Local Motors Debuts World’s First 3D-printed Car at NAIAS 2015on January 13, 2015 at 3:14 am
Rogers, Jr. “We paired micro-manufacturing with co-creation to bring vehicles to market at unprecedented speed. We proved that an online community of innovators can change the way vehicles go ...
- In Africa, a Cube and a Parachute test consumer demandon July 3, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Other firms appear less interested in the trend. Asked if it had considered micro manufacturing, Unilever said it already had full-scale factories in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa and planned to ...
- AllSeen Alliance Reaches 50 Members; Expands Smart Home, Connected Car and Security Focuson June 11, 2014 at 1:02 am
Local Motors combines global co-creation and local micro-manufacturing to bring hardware innovations to market at unprecedented speed. They steward a community of hobbyist innovators, designers ...
via Bing News