“By tuning the sound waves, we can create any pattern we want on the surface of a microchip,”
In a breakthrough discovery, researchers at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, have harnessed the power of sound waves to enable precision micro- and nano-manufacturing.
The researchers have demonstrated how high-frequency sound waves can be used to precisely control the spread of thin film fluid along a specially-designed chip, in a paper published today in Proceedings of the Royal Society A.
With thin film technology the bedrock of microchip and microstructure manufacturing, the pioneering research offers a significant advance – potential applications range from thin film coatings for paint and wound care to 3D printing, micro-casting and micro-fluidics.
Professor James Friend, Director of the MicroNano Research Facility at RMIT, said the researchers had developed a portable system for precise, fast and unconventional micro- and nano-fabrication.
“By tuning the sound waves, we can create any pattern we want on the surface of a microchip,” Professor Friend said.
The Latest on: Micro-manufacturing
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro-manufacturing
- Achieving excellent microformability in aluminum by engineering a unique ultrafine-grained microstructureon July 23, 2019 at 3:25 am
Microforming emerges as an effective micro manufacturing process which can greatly complement the existing process to make quality micro-components. Microforming has the distinct advantages of high ... […]
- Nanofabrica Promotes Innovation in Micro Manufacturingon July 17, 2019 at 5:43 am
A commercially viable mass manufacturing additive manufacturing technology now exists that disrupts the ways in which micron-tolerance parts can be made, and at the same time promotes part innovation ... […]
- Key Executives for APEX-Micro Manufacturing Corp.on June 28, 2019 at 2:00 am
The information and data displayed in this profile are created and managed by S&P Global Market Intelligence, a division of S&P Global. Bloomberg.com does not create or control the content. For ... […]
- MICRO Manufacturing Career Open House for High School Seniors on May 4on April 25, 2019 at 1:16 pm
SOMERSET, N.J., April 25, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MICRO, a trusted family-owned business for nearly 75 years that manufacturers medical device components, is excited to be hosting their annual ... […]
- Micro-Manufacturing Technology Promises Revolution in Blood Testingon December 6, 2018 at 5:37 am
Imagine a pocket-sized device that can conduct laboratory-scale testing in an instant. Now imagine that device applied to the medical industry, affording a revolution in diagnosis and health ... […]
- From micro-manufacturing to internet of manufacturingon October 22, 2017 at 5:00 pm
The last few decades of innovation were related to the development of internet and mobile technologies. The first of these innovations in the late 1990s was the internet. The technologies of companies ... […]
- Micro-manufacturing, Oman’s new focuson September 18, 2017 at 1:25 am
Oman’s new breed of micro-manufacturers are breathing new life into manufacturing across the sultanate, according to an expert. Oman is a country that makes many things from car batteries, AC units, ... […]
- Controllers advance micro-manufacturingon August 16, 2017 at 5:10 am
I recently spent several weeks abroad studying micro-manufacturing in a U.S.-government-sponsored technology review. The goal was to assess and understand what is happening globally in ... […]
- Micro-Manufacturing Technologies and Their Applications: A Theoretical and Practical Guideon May 7, 2017 at 5:49 pm
** Includes Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Click and Collect is available for all ... […]
- Resonetics Acquires Mound Laser To Create Leader In Laser Micro Manufacturing For The Life Sciences Marketon November 3, 2015 at 8:41 am
NASHUA, N.H., Nov. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Resonetics announced today its acquisition of Mound Laser and Photonics Center, Inc., a leader in laser micro manufacturing of precise metal components for ... […]
via Bing News