External laser device detects presence of alcohol vapors inside of a moving car
“This work illustrates how remote sensing technologies affect our everyday life,” said Marco Gianinetto of the Politecnico di Milano, an associate editor with the journal. “We all are already familiar with laser instruments used by the police for speed-limit enforcement. Now these researchers have demonstrated how a laser device could be effectively used for detecting drunken drivers and thereby helping to reduce the number of accidents caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol. In the future, a similar technology may be developed to detect different chemical compounds, enabling the detection of drivers under the influence of other intoxicants.”
The use of the device is simple: The laser system is set up on the side of the road to monitor each car that passes by. If alcohol vapors are detected in the car, a message with a photo of the car including its number plate is sent to a police officer waiting down the road. Then, the police officer stops the car and checks for signs of alcohol using conventional tests.
Should be really interesting to watch the conversations around this one . . .
The Latest on: Laser alcohol detector
via Google News
The Latest on: Laser alcohol detector
- Laser Noob: Getting Started With The K40 Laseron October 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Finally, I added a carbon monoxide detector to make sure the K40 doesn ... I cleaned the mirrors and the laser tube with alcohol, but it was no help. Finally, I disassembled the focusing head.
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Mucormycosis: Current Status and Future Perspectiveson October 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Recent advances in molecular biology have contributed to the development of rapid, accurate, and sensitive methods for pathogen detection. Most commonly used are conventional PCRs, [57,58] RFLP ...
- 10 Nanotech Breakthroughs You Should Know About (Updated)on October 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
We are examining the deposition of ceramic thin films on medical devices using pulsed laser deposition ... of Google Glass that uses nanotech in contact lenses? A Nanotech Detector for Heart Attacks ...
- Macroscopic somatic clonal expansion in morphologically normal human urotheliumon October 2, 2020 at 3:18 am
Lawson et al. and Li et al. examined the genetic composition of laser-dissected microbiopsies from normal and cancer cells collected from the urothelium, a specialized epithelium lining the lower ...
- ASSA ABLOY’s brand Yale Home announces Smart Delivery Box and Cabinet Lock available for purchaseon October 1, 2020 at 2:31 am
Yale Home announces that the Yale Smart Delivery Box and Yale Smart Cabinet Lock are now available for purchase. Both are available with a Yale Connect Wi-Fi Bridge and are supported by the ...
- Researchers develop a new membraneless fuel cellon September 29, 2020 at 3:58 am
These fuel cells lose voltage as they are used and eventually stop working. This happens because alcohol molecules (methanol or ethanol) in the fuel cell's anode compartment crossover the membrane ...
- How rat Magawa became the world's greatest landmine detector: Winner of the animal's George Cross was bred from previous heroes and trained from just ten weeks old to smell TNTon September 25, 2020 at 9:47 am
But how did Magawa become the world's greatest landmine detector? His stardom was destined from even before his birth, with trainers selecting breeding pairs from their past successful performers.
- Fraunhofer's Smartphone Health Monitoring System with Biochemical Analysis, Biomarker Detection, SpO2on September 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Germany’s Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik (Applied Information Technology) FIT presented a new smartphone system at BIOTECHNICA 2013 that can allow people to monitor a ...
- Australian Car Safety Innovation In 2020on September 16, 2020 at 2:52 am
Australia is becoming a safer place to drive a car. Despite a 24% increase in the number of registered vehicles registered, in the 30 years following 2017, there are 60% fewer road fatalities, 72% ...
- Bramlage Coliseum A-Zon September 16, 2020 at 2:11 am
Policies pertaining to alcohol are in place so that all guests can enjoy the event in a safe and comfortable environment. Guests will be able to carry the following style and size bag, package or ...
via Bing News